Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  25
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 9, 2017 vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I'd say the Mumford crunch had an effect on Tom.. Has been a bit down since..
    Hasn't played well the whole year. Should have been dropped a few weeks ago.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Must confess when the heat's on tomorrow night I reckon I'd rather have McLean at the coalface than Dale.

Hope he rewards the faith.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

On the flipside Stanley killed us last year , andcnive to see him out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Must confess when the heat's on tomorrow night I reckon I'd rather have McLean at the coalface than Dale.

Hope he rewards the faith.
    Hope he has a good one. The McLean omission is a strange one, seems to be playing ok but we're obviously not privy to the objectives the players are working towards so all we can do is trust the MC. Their track record is pretty good.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think it's a team culture decision like Stringer, Macrae, Crameri previously. Dale may not have the outward output but still ticking off internal KPIs, while Libba may be (and obviously is) miles off where Bevo wants him. Just reinforces to the group that no one is bullet proof, which I think is a good thing long term. Takes balls of steel to pull the trigger but let's be honest, Libba has given us little the past fortnight and would be playing if he had. Wallis is a nice replacement and finger's crossed, this propels Libba to the level we know he's capable of.
    I hope so I just have a strong feeling that the Libba dropping is premature. Would rather him go out last week on a dry track in Perth as opposed to a wet one in Geelong. Wally in potentially reduces damage in the midfield even if only half fit. Still, it's a game that would test Libba's mental resolve. He's good in the wet and good on Dangerfield. Admittedly he's been sub-par since the Mummy knock, just hoping we haven't shot ourselves in the foot.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a team culture decision like Stringer, Macrae, Crameri previously. Dale may not have the outward output but still ticking off internal KPIs, while Libba may be (and obviously is) miles off where Bevo wants him. Just reinforces to the group that no one is bullet proof, which I think is a good thing long term. Takes balls of steel to pull the trigger but let's be honest, Libba has given us little the past fortnight and would be playing if he had. Wallis is a nice replacement and finger's crossed, this propels Libba to the level we know he's capable of.
    I think it sends an additional positive messages that if you get promoted you'll get a chance to stay and prove yourself. Personally, I don't like yo-yoing players. But the existing message is you need to put a body of form in the VFL to get promoted, so if you do, you'll get a good chance to show it in the big boy league. I really like it, if they succeed that's awesome. If they don't, they can't blame anything or anyone else and they go about getting that form to get promoted again. For the others trying to get in, it's a good carrot about the rewards that can come through hard work and consistent excellent form. Once they get promoted they can stay there, it's up to them. I think Williams, Webb & Dale all showed a little bit more last week so I hope they see the names in the VFL trying to get their spot and they lift their game again. I really, really like it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With Cloke coming back from cracked ribs, you wouldn't think he will be second ruck? Perhaps we go with Jong again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think it sends an additional positive messages that if you get promoted you'll get a chance to stay and prove yourself. Personally, I don't like yo-yoing players. But the existing message is you need to put a body of form in the VFL to get promoted, so if you do, you'll get a good chance to show it in the big boy league. I really like it, if they succeed that's awesome. If they don't, they can't blame anything or anyone else and they go about getting that form to get promoted again. For the others trying to get in, it's a good carrot about the rewards that can come through hard work and consistent excellent form. Once they get promoted they can stay there, it's up to them. I think Williams, Webb & Dale all showed a little bit more last week so I hope they see the names in the VFL trying to get their spot and they lift their game again. I really, really like it.
    I'm ok with yo-yoing players, especially young ones. Give them a taste and make them work on their continuity at VFL level to force their way back in. A quality best 22 player should play before worrying about whether yo-yoing young players is detrimental to their development.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm ok with yo-yoing players, especially young ones. Give them a taste and make them work on their continuity at VFL level to force their way back in. A quality best 22 player should play before worrying about whether yo-yoing young players is detrimental to their development.
    Libba isn't performing at best 22 levels and was our WOG last week. If we're going off current form, Webb/Williams/Dale are all ahead of him (existing credits not withstanding).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else think Boyd's 'shoulder injury' is possibly an omission in disguise?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Smacks of 'we don't want this becoming a bullshit media story or distraction, so let's go with an injury as the reason'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Smacks of 'we don't want this becoming a bullshit media story or distraction, so let's go with an injury as the reason'.
    Also allows us to bring him back via the VFL to get match fitness and if his form isn't great, we can then use that reasoning.

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to say really. Maybe his shoulder was the reason for his form. Footy is a tough gig and if he's playing sore you would expect even the best to be a little off.

Going by all the other omissions though, why would the MC save Boyd's face?
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, if ever Charlie Sutton's edict of 'shop early and avoid the rush' had relevance outside of a GF, its this week.
    We need to do something this week which we've largely been able to do thus far this year; get the game on our terms from the outset and put the points on the board.

Geelong will be trying to use this game as a way to recapture a semblance of 'Geelong football'.
    They have doubts, 3 weeks of poor performance and they want to put that behind them.

I have no doubt that they view us as their bitch. That's evidenced by previous comments from their players as well as comments from as far back as when Bomber was coach.

We need to put them on their heels early and let those recently acquired self-doubts come rushing back and then pile it on the scoreboard.

If its close in the 4th i fear they will surge. We need to remove that from being an option by getting a good lead early and having the game beyond doubt by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

I found some of the selections puzzling. Hard to imagine to see Libba out of the side whilst retaining Dale. Libba has the experience and class to match up with Dangerfield. Leaving out Roberts and Cordy limits the flexibility of Adams and Cordy to move forward where they are capable of playing well. Good to see both Williams and Webb retained as they are the future. Morris was a natural replacement for the injured Matthew Boyd. Tom Boyd is a better player with Roughead in the team and do not understand why you would recall Cloke and not Roughead if fit. Good to see Dickson back as his class and straight kicking has been sadly missed. Murphy's inclusion is obvious. Suckling is lucky to be retained.