Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 9, 2017 vs Geelong

Bankers:

1. Tom Boyd took another step forward as a dangerous ruck/forward hybrid. 33 HO, 20 touches and hit the scoreboard. That's the standard we need each week now.

2. Jong was our most dynamic mid and held onto the ball more, rather than instinctively giving it off under pressure.

3. I thought Dale looked the most comfortable he has at AFL level. Williams made a few howlers but I think it's starting to click for him. Webb just doesn't get enough of it but that goal was very nice.

Anchors:

Pretty much the rest. Not defending Danger in the last quarter (or all night), Harry Taylor, Redpath having 7 touches and butchering a chance to keep us firmly in the game, Harry Taylor, Hunter with 13 touches, Adams breaking his kick it long rule in the worst spot on the ground, Selwood must be sponsored by the WWF because he is a protected species, the Murph 'free' and Ling trying to act like he wasn't cockahoop over it.

**** result, top 4 is slipping away and top 8 will take some work.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Commentary: Never have I heard such vomit worthy biased repetitive crap. Cameron Ling is the worst thing in AFL football, which is an amazing achievement considering the completely ineptitude displayed by so much of the AFL media (and staff). He would not shut up for 3 quarters tonight, no prizes for guessing which one he shut up in. Bruce had some shocking lines, including one involving something like the following ""You have to wonder about Geelong, there's a lot of them". And then you have Richo who I usually quite like, but is getting his injury news from the Geelong twitter account when he is sitting next to their bench. Also, we get it, Geelong have a new stadium and they are tackling a lot.
    [B]
    At one point a free was paid, Mcavaney said "It's s a free. Is it the Bulldogs? No, it's OK, it's the Cats". Blatant barracking. And did you know, Geelong were tackling a lot, and they have a redeveloped ground?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

4. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    At one point a free was paid, Mcavaney said "It's s a free. Is it the Bulldogs? No, it's OK, it's the Cats". Blatant barracking. And did you know, Geelong were tackling a lot, and they have a redeveloped ground?
    I also heard Joel Selwood took this game personally. any truth to that?

I tried to prepare myself for the pro Geelong dribble but you just can't prepare for it. I should have turned the sound down.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you know most of the goals were kicked at the one end? It was amazing....so much so that the commentators needed to remind us constantly. They were besotted by it as if there has never been anything like it in the history of the game.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Anchors

Murphy- It's terrifying when he has the ball at moment. It's as likely to end up with an opposition goal as with us. The end is coming fast.
    I thought he was instrumental in the 3rd qtr resurgence. For mine he has not lost any speed or agility, which at his age are key indicators of any potential decline.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes westbulldog, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Did you know most of the goals were kicked at the one end? It was amazing....so much so that the commentators needed to remind us constantly. They were besotted by it as if there has never been anything like it in the history of the game.
    Also don't forget the idiotic comment as Boyd lined up his shot "I think he had a shot from the same position at the other end of the ground against GWS", as if Kardinia park and Canberra are the same ground.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes always right liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Lin Jong - worked hard all night
    Mitch Wallis - all heart, bleeds for the club
    Easton Wood - spirtual captains game

Anchors
    Lachie Hunter - living off last year, time to go back to VFL
    Lack of intensity & will to win, get back to being contested ball beasts!
    Can't play Redpath & Cloke together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Agree. *!*!*!*! me he's the worst Geelong player to kick a bag against us since D Mensch!
    Justin Wood kicked a bag against us at Princes Park in the late 90's - not even Geelong fans would remember him!
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Jong - the only player we could confidently say has improved from last year.
    Wallis - One swallow doesn't make a summer - but there is a reasonable chance that he has come back a better player. Seemed like he had real intent to be more attacking/aggressive with the ball. Looks in ripping nick (always has, but even more so).
    Dale - was very clean and creative. Slowly becoming a player. Might be a genuine best 22 this time next year....hopefully earlier.

Banchor - Tom Boyd. Great to see him getting plenty of footy, take a few marks and convert a couple of opportunities. He sits in the banchor category because his direct opponent was very good.

Anchors:

Cloke - The period of him rucking was the catalyst in us losing. Abusing the umpire and giving away 50/a goal/the momentum was horrific. He doesn't move the ball on quick enough, doesn't fit the side.

Hunter - is really down. Has been getting a lot more attention this year. Teams know that him being the link up player on the wings is important to us and have put some time into him and he hasn't been able to work through it.

Suckling - well down. Think he should do some VFL time and try to get back to using his strengths better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Anchors:

Cloke - The period of him rucking was the catalyst in us losing. Abusing the umpire and giving away 50/a goal/the momentum was horrific. He doesn't move the ball on quick enough, doesn't fit the side.
    When he went into the ruck in the 3rd quarter is when we started kicking goals and hit the front.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Anchors:

Hunter - is really down. Has been getting a lot more attention this year. Teams know that him being the link up player on the wings is important to us and have put some time into him and he hasn't been able to work through it.

Suckling - well down. Think he should do some VFL time and try to get back to using his strengths better.
    Which period was this? The first 20min of the 2nd qtr was as bad as it gets as we went from a 10 point lead to a 4 goal deficit pretty quickly.. Can't remember him rucking at all during this period and it was Jong (who was our best mid at the time) doing the bulk of the ruck work during this period... Agree with 'bad' that he was ok in the ruck in the 3rd when we got on top and the space our mids gave Dangerwood in the last qtr was pathetic to say the least.

Agree on your point about the 50m and making 2 errors with ball in hand in the last qtr, but as this was his first game for about 5 or 6 weeks, and it was a 'hot' game, it may take him a while to get up to speed.. The fact too that he's played about 5 games with us needs to be taken into account with ball movement.

I'm by no means Travis's #1 fan, but I think he's got a bit to offer as a tall & mobile forward and would like to see a bit more of him in our side before determining if he belongs there.

16. Likes bornadog, boydogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have gotten the periods of the game wrong as to when Cloke was actually rucking, where he might possibly have been up high as a forward. But I was referring to periods in the last quarter where the game got away from us and he made blues up around the middle of the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

The period not long after start of the last quarter was where we went from 9 points in front, to losing the game.
    But did he ruck much during this period? I thought Tom was in the ruck.

We lost it due to Selwood not being stopped. Danger didn't have many disposals in the last compared to Selwood who had 9, his best quarter.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.