Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Western Bulldogs star Tom Boyd suffering from a premiership hangover?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Boyd gets to the right positions though, far more than Minson would/could.
    I think we are developing in the 2nd ruck role as it's so difficult to fill... but in 2 years with Roughy and English in the side I'd expect Roughy to play 2nd ruck, English to play no 1 ruck and Boyd to play full time forward.
    Agree his positioning is better than Minnows, but his hard hands are about the same. Not a great attribute for KPFs.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

While we have injuries to tall blokes, we can't really tell where Bevo would prefer to play Boyd, nor where he plays best. He's doing what the team requires at the moment and should be thanked for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    While we have injuries to tall blokes, we can't really tell where Bevo would prefer to play Boyd, nor where he plays best. He's doing what the team requires at the moment and should be thanked for that.
    He is. Handsomely

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Necessity more than development right now - our ruck cupboard is bare and having the ability to chop out in the ruck makes him much more valuable to the team long term.

We never know what lies around the corner and virtually nobody in our line up plays 100% of game-time in one position game in, game out.
    Yep, so true about the need to play him in the ruck ATM. I read in a match review on Saturday that our ruckmen on Friday night were Tom Boyd with a chop out from Josh Dunkley!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think Tom is more worried about bringing the ball to ground than actually marking it. Maybe it's a coaching issue? it's been drummed into him to bring the ball to the deck.

Also worth remembering he had major shoulder surgery in the off-season, issues with having his arms above his head could still linger.

He will get there. All this time in the ruck is building his endurance nicely. When Roughy returns we will start seeing what Tom is really capable of as a KPF.