Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - Round 9, 2017 vs Geelong

This is the round 9, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 9, 2017 vs Geelong

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Third quarter.
    Making more set shots.
    Macrae & Jong. Beasts.

A

Umpires. Several key moments in the last quarter.
    Stupid decisions, a toro from Cloke in the last in the heat of it.
    Coaching. No one to Danger for a half... Really?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Tom Boyd - big confidence booster tonight. Clutch in the air and by boot after an early easy miss. Hopefully sets his season off now.
    Wally - not a lot that needs to be said we all saw his courage and grit and polish too.
    Easton Wood his best game this year. Our best defender tonight and just took the game on at all costs.

Anchors
    Maybe Bevo needs to reassess the level of respect he pays to the opposition match winner mids
    Brain fades from Adams, Cloke and Bailey Williams in key moments
    And i know we're only allowed 3 but a new category is needed tonight for Wankers...and that goes to the Umpires - that was just as close to out an out favouritism as you could get.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Mitch Wallis -congratulations, a great return game
    Luke Dalhaus - his 1 desperate possession in the last 1/4 would by itself get him in the bankers.
    Tory Dickson - good to have the sharpshooter back

Anchors
    Umpiring - example the Murphy decision - this sport is now fully professional and some umpires are on 150k plus extras, if a business executive made similar mistakes they would be promptly Aholed. One wonders what the umpiring panel do over their scones and jam.
    Lachie Hunter - lacking the intensity and game influence he had in 2016.
    Not having a fit Roughie.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers - Wallis , what a great comeback
    - Jong , really establishing himself
    - Boyd , really good 2nd half
    Anchors - Suckling , I've refrained from bagging him, but when we're just going he looks like a park footballer .
    - hunter, just not impacting like last year
    - Bevo, got it wrong with the team selections

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Lin Jong.....must be top 5 in our B&F so far.
    Bailey Dale.....looked entirely comfortable tonight in a pressure match. Good ball use.
    Mitch Wallis.....great return. Had forgotten how good he is.

Banchors
    Adams did do much right tonight but he makes critical errors every week.
    Clay Smith....love his tenacity but is he last bloke you want the ball going to one out at full forward.

A
    Centre clearance work. Abysmal.
    Cloke's decision making.
    Critical umpiring decisions/non decisions. That Murphy one was a turning point.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

8. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Tom Boyd, excellent game

2. Lin Jong - getting better every week, needs to finish off games

3. Return of Mitch Wallis - not only gets the ball but kicks goals.

Anchors

1.2nd quarter, cost us the game in the end - playing catch up instead of extending our lead

2. Hunter, shocking game

3. Channel 7 Commentary bias - Ling the Wanker, during the first half couldn't shut his mouth up about Geelong, third quarter didn't hear one word from his mouth.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes westbulldog, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B
    Wally really was superb. Welcome back.
    Tom Boyd, stood tall.
    I really like what Bailey Dale brought tonight. He is a clean, poised player.

A
    You knew the home town umpiring factor would kick in. The Murphy HTB when he got his kick away resembled the atrocious one against Hargrave, PF 2009 (yes I have a long memory)
    the Selwood/ Dangerfield love in reached scary heights
    Geelong Football Club. I'm sick of this whole story between us and them. It's downright embarrassing
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Wallis - Great return tonight

Jong - Been doing very well

Dickson - Took some marks inside 50 and kicked some goals

Anchors

That awful 2nd quarter - No Bulldog spirit in that quarter at all

Umpiring decision that went against Bob

Losing against this mob again
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Wallis - Excellent return game. Welcome back
    T Boyd - Showed more hints at what he'll become
    Jong- Keeps growing

Anchors

Being Geelong's utter bitches

Murphy- It's terrifying when he has the ball at moment. It's as likely to end up with an opposition goal as with us. The end is coming fast.

Kicking- Goal kicking is D grade suburban level, field kicking is only marginally better. It'll improve, no need to work on it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Anchors

Being Geelong's utter bitches

Murphy- It's terrifying when he has the ball at moment. It's as likely to end up with an opposition goal as with us. The end is coming fast.

Kicking- Goal kicking is D grade suburban level, field kicking is only marginally better. It'll improve, no need to work on it.
    And being the first Team to vindicate Chris Scott's move of Taylor to the forward line whilst continuing to vindicate Taylor's disrespect of us - a double whammy which hurts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    And being the first Team to vindicate Chris Scott's move of Taylor to the forward line whilst continuing to vindicate Taylor's disrespect of us - a double whammy which hurts
    Agree. *!*!*!*! me he's the worst Geelong player to kick a bag against us since D Mensch!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Wood:
    He should be our captain. Is equal parts breathtaking and tough, assured with the ball in hand and does stuff no one else in the comp does. Barely loses a contest he is involved in. An elite player and his form tonight was sensational.
    Youngens: Williams was good wit the ball in hand and for a man of such little size has an amazing ability to break tackles. Also love the way he waddles his way through traffic. Despite a few errors had an impressive game. Dale was also good with the ball, and while not getting the ball a heap was damaging when he did. And Webb had his moments as well, including that lovely goal.
    Boyd: Multiple marks, including a ripper contested one. Kicked an important goal, and his link up work in close through the middle was good. Seems to play well at Kardinia. Also as an extension of this how shit was Hawkins, the player Boyd is most compared to. I really hope Boyd turns out better than that, because he was pathetic tonight.

Anchors (I've taken the liberty of filling this section ou a bit more fully than usual, and none of it is directed at a Bulldog because even though some were quiet they all clearly put in)
    Taylor: This guy prior to this week was the worst set shot seen this century. Goes on to kick 5 straight against us, despite lining his shots up as if he's got the runs. And from memory they were all essentially gimmes from his teammates, none were from contested marks or anything other than being on the end of the chain.
    Umpiring: Seriously atrocious. And we "won" the count! Absolutely blatant holding the balls not paid, including the Selwood one which lost all our momentum. Murphy getting pinged for his kick, Menzel playing on but not, multiple Cats blatantly throwing the ball, that play late in the 4th where they were tackled, clearly threw/dropped the ball right in front of the umpire who went to blow his whistle and then just decided to call play on. They did miss a couple against us as well, but far and away we copped it from them.
    Commentary: Never have I heard such vomit worthy biased repetitive crap. Cameron Ling is the worst thing in AFL football, which is an amazing achievement considering the completely ineptitude displayed by so much of the AFL media (and staff). He would not shut up for 3 quarters tonight, no prizes for guessing which one he shut up in. Bruce had some shocking lines, including one involving something like the following ""You have to wonder about Geelong, there's a lot of them". And then you have Richo who I usually quite like, but is getting his injury news from the Geelong twitter account when he is sitting next to their bench. Also, we get it, Geelong have a new stadium and they are tackling a lot.
    Kardinia Park away games: I like the idea of suburban grounds, but hate that Geelong is the only club to benefit from it. Would have loved to have gone but no tickets available, and hate that we always get scheduled to play there. The fact that that was Clokes first trip down there shows how bullshit it is that we always have to cop it while other clubs avoid it. Hopefully that changes with our increased attendances. Also how many away Friday night games can we cop.
    Tackle Happy Cats: Essendon get the win against an uninterested Geelong that laid something like 40 tackles for the match. We however get to play a possessed Geelong in a match that recorded 238 tackles. Get stuffed. Of course they have to be pumped up when they play us.
    Smug: Dangerfield is a gun player, and is awesome to watch, and seems like a bit of a dag and friendly guy of it. But all that is negated by how smug and hateable he is. Why do all Geelong stars have to be so hateable.

I have not been that pissed off during and after a match in a long time, and for once it was purely external factors and our side had nearly nothing to do with it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Tom Boyd - he played a pretty good game as first ruck. Won plenty of taps and then was getting in close. The ball even started sticking in his hands. It showed how much we miss Roughead when Cloke went in the ruck and Boyd was able to play minutes up forward. He was the only big man in the forward line that looked likely to score.

Wallis - welcome back Mitch. He played a terrific game right at the coal face. He even snuck forward for a couple goals and should've had another but Cloke thought a 3 on 1 was a better option than Mitch on his own. So happy to have him back. He shows so much heart. Worthy banker.

Bailey Dale - I thought it was a mistake to play him but he showed that he can definitely provide us something in the team. His cleaness with the ball in hand is a pleasent change. He doesn't blaze away anf bomb it long instead he lowers the eyes and finds a target. I can see why Bevo wants to get games into him snd also Webb and Williams. We need good bsll users and those 3 mentioned are.

Banchor

Friday night exposure. It would be nice to win one though.

Anchors

Hunter - terrible game with zero impact. I'm not sure why his numbers are down this year but he needs to recapture some form fast. I had him heading into elite status last year but at the moment I think he's heading towards being a B grader. Had a real stinker.

Suckling - I actually don't see what he brings to the team at the moment. His biggest asset is his kicking but isn't executing it enough to warrent a spot in the best 22. I'd rather Biggs TBH.

Umpiring - we had more frees whilst getting shafted by the umps. To not ping selwood fot HTB after so many 360's and the illegal an disposal and then penalise Bob after he gets a kick away is just unfair biased umpiring. The Cloke in the back after Selwood drops the ball was a joke and I don't blame Cloke for telling the umpire to *!*!*!*! off. The Picken tackle in the last where it right in front of the ump was appalling. Agian i don't blame the players for mouthing out to the ump.
    Last edited by ratsmac; 20-05-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: I somehow copied and pasted a text to my brother intead of my bankers and anchors
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.