Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not worried but worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In the Bevo years it's 2-2 and with key players to come back in for both sides future contests seem to me, as line ball calls on who goes in favourites.. The constant talk of them being our bitches is downright dumb.
    They aren't our bitches but in an era of potential domination for them, we seem to be able to match up well and deny them the opportunity to play the game on their terms. Other teams would probably fear their ability to break games open more than us.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In the Bevo years it's 2-2 and with key players to come back in for both sides future contests seem to me, as line ball calls on who goes in favourites.. The constant talk of them being our bitches is downright dumb.

One of us must lead on percentage or something? The Prelim should count twice!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I felt pretty upbeat for a loss against our most despised rivals.

A two point loss, with appalling kicking for goal, Libba on the bench in the important final clinches. Surely if even one of Cloke or Crameri played, that one goal margin would have been gettable.

By the way, who was the least experienced team of the round? If you said Brisbane, you're right. But who's the 2nd least experienced?

Here's the list of ave games according to Footywire (I can't get Adelaide/ Richmond, but neither have especially young profiles):
    Bulldogs 74.3
    Gold Coast 76
    CArlton 77
    Freo 79.9
    Sydney 82.7
    Nth 84
    Ess 84
    Melb 87.3
    GWS 89.3
    Port 93.8
    Coll 95
    St K 96.7
    Geelong 108
    Hawks 117

Ok, if Morris & Boyd played, our ave would have changed a little - but this is still such an exciting stat for what our club can hope for over the next few years.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs, hujsh, Bulldog4life, boydogs, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, bornadog, KT31, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I felt pretty upbeat for a loss against our most despised rivals.

A two point loss, with appalling kicking for goal, Libba on the bench in the important final clinches. Surely if even one of Cloke or Crameri played, that one goal margin would have been gettable.

By the way, who was the least experienced team of the round? If you said Brisbane, you're right. But who's the 2nd least experienced?

Here's the list of ave games according to Footywire (I can't get Adelaide/ Richmond, but neither have especially young profiles):
    Bulldogs 74.3
    Gold Coast 76
    CArlton 77
    Freo 79.9
    Sydney 82.7
    Nth 84
    Ess 84
    Melb 87.3
    GWS 89.3
    Port 93.8
    Coll 95
    St K 96.7
    Geelong 108
    Hawks 117

Ok, if Morris & Boyd played, our ave would have changed a little - but this is still such an exciting stat for what our club can hope for over the next few years.
    I was more peeved than upbeat, as a massive opportunity went begging and knowing we have a team on the rebound this week.

Still the effort was like what we saw for most of last year, except we kicked accurately last September!

Post Thanks / Like

To address the OP, I am not worried.

We almost always win the close games, which is a terrific trait for any side, let alone a young side.
    Murphy wasn't playing when we won a number of close games last season.
    The conditions are part of the reason for some 'strange' efforts and skill errors.

On the balance of things, although we never like to lose - we were probably way overdue to lose one of the very close ones. Last year the only close loss we had was early in the season also, we learnt from it and steeled ourselves for the close finishes v Port, West Coast, Sydney, Richmond, Collingwood & GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They aren't our bitches but in an era of potential domination for them, we seem to be able to match up well and deny them the opportunity to play the game on their terms. Other teams would probably fear their ability to break games open more than us.
    Agree. Claiming they're our bitches is wishful thinking but we seem to match up well on them and unlike almost every other team, we have no reason to think we can't beat them whenever or wherever we play them. I'm more worried about us being able beat Adelaide.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Agree. Claiming they're our bitches is wishful thinking but we seem to match up well on them and unlike almost every other team, we have no reason to think we can't beat them whenever or wherever we play them. I'm more worried about us being able beat Adelaide.
    Caught a snippet on SEN where the presenters noted Geelong's gamestyle is a perfect counter to the Crows, and the cats have won their last two matches against the Crows. Then they mentioned that the Bulldogs also had the gameplan to beat the Crows as there are still doubts at their ability to sustain a 4 quarter onslaught against their mids.

The Crows are cutting teams up with outside run then getting opposition defences over the back. If we can counter GWS' outside run, we can do it against the Crows. My only worry is that at times this year (e.g. first half against Brisbane) we appear susceptible to opposition forwardlines getting over the back too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers