Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not worried but worried?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Williams and Dunkley are 19 and 20 years old, so not too worried there. I was concerned JJ disappeared after half time and gave us no run and carry, and as the OP says, Murphy had to shoulder the load. We should have been better in the last 5 minutes and tried to find a forward target.
    Not sure if there was an injury concern, but JJ seemed to spend a fair amount of time on the pine in the 2nd half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Nor did we kick enough goals in 2-3 quarters when it was working well.
    I thought at 3/4 time we hadn't hurt them enough on the scoreboard. We'd dominated for two quarters but just couldn't put them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Not sure if there was an injury concern, but JJ seemed to spend a fair amount of time on the pine in the 2nd half.
    His lack of run was really noticible toward the end wasn't it?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    On the wood 50 metre penalty . Why on earth does the umpire have to tell a player to move on ?
    Why not just call play on ?
    Agree but it is hardly a new thing. Couldn't believe what Wood did to be honest. Umpires have never used a whistle to call play on
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Percentage looks to be worrisome again. We're on 110%, while the other top 4 contenders are 133-153%.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Percentage looks to be worrisome again. We're on 110%, while the other top 4 contenders are 133-153%.
    Its what we do. Our percentage wasnt great last season either.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    If doing what we do is not kicking straight and getting percentage, maybe it's time we improved what we do. I'm not sure if I had a choice, that I'd do it as hard as we had to last year. I'm not sure we can reasonably expect to win premiership after premiership from 7th and poor percentage. Hopefully we can turn it around, but I'm not too sure with the draw we have that we are going to chase down the pack.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That would explain it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern in the second half was our handling in poor conditions seemed to be poorer to theirs. In close and outside.

I've always maintained cleanly skilled sides are better in the wetter conditions and looking back to 2016 our finals conditions didn't expose us on this front.

Do we have a clean enough group to cope with wet weather?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If doing what we do is not kicking straight and getting percentage, maybe it's time we improved what we do. I'm not sure if I had a choice, that I'd do it as hard as we had to last year. I'm not sure we can reasonably expect to win premiership after premiership from 7th and poor percentage. Hopefully we can turn it around, but I'm not too sure with the draw we have that we are going to chase down the pack.
    We have a team of guys who do everything well except kick properly. We are shit kicks and like we do most weeks we need to work around it, essentially by generating as many scoring opportunities as we do.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re goal kicking: at the risk of stating the obvious: "The more I practise, the luckier I get." (Peter Daicos via Gary Player)
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Historically we haven't ever been a side that finishes with big percentages. Even when we've had good H & A seasons like in 97/98 and 2008-10 we didn't typically have high percentages. Some years we would but mostly compared to the team's around us we have a bad percentage.

I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    My biggest concern in the second half was our handling in poor conditions seemed to be poorer to theirs. In close and outside.

I've always maintained cleanly skilled sides are better in the wetter conditions and looking back to 2016 our finals conditions didn't expose us on this front.

Do we have a clean enough group to cope with wet weather?
    It looked like each team had a different footy. And it's usually simple technical things that can be worked on. Keeping your eye on the ball until you've marked it and how to kick properly. Things like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the issues touched on in this thread are a large part of the post game chat bevo gave the team - we played a dumb last quarter - lacked composure and imagination but never heart - we butchered it

On the whole I feel positive about beating them in a final - blind optimism/delusion or justifiable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I suspect the issues touched on in this thread are a large part of the post game chat bevo gave the team - we played a dumb last quarter - lacked composure and imagination but never heart - we butchered it

On the whole I feel positive about beating them in a final - blind optimism/delusion or justifiable?

Easily justifiable.

-they didn't win, we lost
    -when we played our game, they had nothing. No reply at all.
    -9.19!
    -Walis, et al. We have a lot of structure players to get back.
    -they couldn't get their game going at all most of the night. When the game was played on their terms they still couldn't punish on the score board.

When the whips are cracking then we have them covered. Our bitches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Easily justifiable.

-they didn't win, we lost
    -when we played our game, they had nothing. No reply at all.
    -9.19!
    -Walis, et al. We have a lot of structure players to get back.
    -they couldn't get their game going at all most of the night. When the game was played on their terms they still couldn't punish on the score board.

When the whips are cracking then we have them covered. Our bitches.
    In the Bevo years it's 2-2 and with key players to come back in for both sides future contests seem to me, as line ball calls on who goes in favourites.. The constant talk of them being our bitches is downright dumb.

Post Thanks / Like

They had some pretty good players out Friday as well.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.