Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Accuracy At Goal

This is an issue particular over the last 3 weeks for us 12.17, 17.20 were games we won but still the kicking in the first half of the Lions game last week was an issue despite the win and last night against the Greater Waste of Space kicking 9.19 which cost us the game.

What advice would you give to our goal kicking coaches at the club to rectify this issue and can our players improve their goal kicking. Obviously would be interested to know how many are rushed behinds as they wouldn't count and the actual points scored by our team.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Accuracy At Goal

You've got to be the ball Danny. Na na na na na.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Composure. We a rushing the shot in general play when we have more time to settle. I'd say mainly due to opposition pressure but still we have to execute under that pressure. Set shots, well I give up. It's all in their head I reckon because when I watch them in the warm up they are pretty good. Fatigue would be a big factor too.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    This is an issue particular over the last 3 weeks for us 12.17, 17.20 were games we won but still the kicking in the first half of the Lions game last week was an issue despite the win and last night against the Greater Waste of Space kicking 9.19 which cost us the game.

What advice would you give to our goal kicking coaches at the club to rectify this issue and can our players improve their goal kicking. Obviously would be interested to know how many are rushed behinds as they wouldn't count and the actual points scored by our team.

38.56 is a criminal waste. For gods sake. I genuinely don't know how it can be so hard to get professional footballers to a stage where they can kick straight at goal?

Seriously what's the point of all the rest, the strategy and tactics and training and preperation and hard work on the field? What's it all for if we can't get the bloody ball through the goals more often than we miss?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    38.56 is a criminal waste. For gods sake. I genuinely don't know how it can be so hard to get professional footballers to a stage where they can kick straight at goal?

Seriously what's the point of all the rest, the strategy and tactics and training and preperation and hard work on the field? What's it all for if we can't get the bloody ball through the goals more often than we miss?
    Agree. Their is a lot of emphasis on fitness which is very important today but we just cannot afford things like clean ball use, general skill level and goal kicking to lapse. There needs to be a good balance of both.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Our boys seem to kick of a couple of steps. If ever there was a good example of getting a good straight run up to kick through the ball we need to watch Brown from the Roos. Sure his run up seem ridiculous but the guy kicks way more than he misses. Need momentum to kick straight. If I see Dunkley kick off three steps again I will spew up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Our boys seem to kick of a couple of steps. If ever there was a good example of getting a good straight run up to kick through the ball we need to watch Brown from the Roos. Sure his run up seem ridiculous but the guy kicks way more than he misses. Need momentum to kick straight. If I see Dunkley kick off three steps again I will spew up
    If I see him hunched over the so that he kicks little helicopters (they aren't even helicopters-more alle-oops in basketball, they go about as far) I'll scream. Dunk does seem to kick more than he misses though. It's hard to imagine what was going through his mind there but.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

stage fright?

Post Thanks / Like

It is one issue that has carried over from the BMAC era through to 2017 and has rarely seen any improvements. Perhaps in the early stages of last year's GF & late in the PF.

we have a goto phrase where I sit whenever we miss easy shots early, or rush a shot in play that goes OOF or for a behind."That's what costs you preliminary finals." They stink of Mark West, Gia and Gilbee in pivotal moments in big games. In reality though it is less memorable moments that hurt & the cumulative impact not maximising return on the investment in each surge forward has.

In 2015 it was really stark. We had so many I50s that went down the drain, it burnt us heavily. You can ride your luck and get them n volume alone but eventually a team will be particularly efficient when they have momentum and kill the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Lin Jong is another guilty of this - he missed 2 from directly in front against Brisbane, the 2nd from 15m out when he kicked off 2 steps. How are you supposed to develop momentum through the kick off 2 steps Lin? We need Simon Beasley down at the club to assist these recidivists develop a reliable technique.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a combination of mental & technical. The technique breaks down under pressure. So we either have to fix the technique so it's more robust under stress or we need to fix the mentality to not feel as pressured in stressful scenarios.

Or even better, a combination of both.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a forward line full of short blokes and midfielders. Our F50 marks are a long way from goal and on the flanks, and most of our scoring shots are scrappy kicks from high pressure contests

Things will change with Cloke, Crameri, Dickson & Roughead back
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

14. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Lin Jong is another guilty of this - he missed 2 from directly in front against Brisbane, the 2nd from 15m out when he kicked off 2 steps. How are you supposed to develop momentum through the kick off 2 steps Lin? We need Simon Beasley down at the club to assist these recidivists develop a reliable technique.
    KT and Beaser to assist our forward coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone suggests Fev I'll spew up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Bitter Anymore View Post
    If anyone suggests Fev I'll spew up
    Yes I heard about that not to us though but yeah he is well and truly past it now. A lot of potential when he was playing but even he admits to himself he was an idiot.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 30-04-2017 at 09:26 PM.

18. Likes N/A liked this post