Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Accuracy At Goal

Has anyone noticed Jake runs really close to the man on the mark lately? Especially against Brisbane.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Looked up Dunks, 13.18 so far to date. If he's going to play forward, a little over 40% accuracy is far too big a liability for the team to carry. Especially since he misses some very, very gettable set shots or after marks inside 50. There's a load to like the way he goes about it, and time is on his side, but he needs to address this super do open ASAP or perhaps the coaching staff need to find other roles where he's not responsible for goal kicking.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What's a super do open?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

What isn't it TD? Answer me that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's a combination of mental & technical. The technique breaks down under pressure. So we either have to fix the technique so it's more robust under stress or we need to fix the mentality to not feel as pressured in stressful scenarios.

Or even better, a combination of both.
    I think we need to simplify the goal kicking routine to three or four simple things. Draw a deep breath and relax as you are walking back to tak your shot. Run in a straight line. Keep your head over the ball as it hits your foot so you can watch the ball onto your boot. Stand up straight as you kick the ball.

Easy Peazy, lemon squeezy.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Jacko Jackson believes the issue is to do with the shoe laces. He believes players aren't putting the knot on the inside of the boot, so when the boot makes contact with the ball, it's making contact with the knot of the lace. It makes sense to an extent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think we need to simplify the goal kicking routine to three or four simple things. Draw a deep breath and relax as you are walking back to tak your shot. Run in a straight line. Keep your head over the ball as it hits your foot so you can watch the ball onto your boot. Stand up straight as you kick the ball.

Menzel from Geelong cured his yips from last year by practicing a new run up technique over summer. It involved not running into a straight line when kicking for goal. He is a right footer.

And then there’s his football comeback that resulted in 18 games last year and 33 goals, an amount that still angers Menzel after he kicked 8.14 in his first six games before going 25.8 when assistant coach Nigel Lappin explained he needed to kick with a hook.

“Nigel made the point that I’m a good field kick, as most players are, because you kick around your body a bit rather than kicking dead straight. You have a natural hook in your kick so what you are doing is running straight into goal and missing to your left. So I used a small hook in my run-up towards the end and my goal kicking went up straight away at training and in matches.”

Despite what he has been through, Menzel still sets very high standards. So how did he rate his first year back after first injuring his knee in the 2011 finals.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...5ee4e04ad6202c

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Menzel from Geelong cured his yips from last year by practicing a new run up technique over summer. It involved not running into a straight line when kicking for goal. He is a right footer.

And then there’s his football comeback that resulted in 18 games last year and 33 goals, an amount that still angers Menzel after he kicked 8.14 in his first six games before going 25.8 when assistant coach Nigel Lappin explained he needed to kick with a hook.

“Nigel made the point that I’m a good field kick, as most players are, because you kick around your body a bit rather than kicking dead straight. You have a natural hook in your kick so what you are doing is running straight into goal and missing to your left. So I used a small hook in my run-up towards the end and my goal kicking went up straight away at training and in matches.”

Despite what he has been through, Menzel still sets very high standards. So how did he rate his first year back after first injuring his knee in the 2011 finals.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...5ee4e04ad6202c

Interesting. Buddy runs in a crooked line too and I wouldn't fix him. He used to be a pretty ordinary set shot though but he's improved a lot.

The best way to kick a footy (and throwing and catching balls-I'm a simple soul) is a subject that has fascinated me ever since I can remember. I'd argue that you still need a solid basic technique, consisting of the steps I mentioned, before you start experimenting with it though. For a few if our boys I'd take it right back to basics "forget everthing you've learned" type of thing and install those few basics with a few thousand practice kicks.

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    You've got to be the ball Danny. Na na na na na.
    Brilliant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Then there's counting the number of steps you need to take, ensuring you don't get too close too the man on the mark and in between worrying about this you stress out on missing the goals twice, then worry about your ball drop and wonder whether you've taken your hand off the ball too early, and then kicking off the instep or high on the foot. And of course keeping your leg straight and aiming for the goal umpire, or was that drawing a laser line between your boot and the goal umpire? Wait, was that a puff of wind? Anyway it doesn't matter now I missed I'll get all that stuff right next time...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Then there's counting the number of steps you need to take, ensuring you don't get too close too the man on the mark and in between worrying about this you stress out on missing the goals twice, then worry about your ball drop and wonder whether you've taken your hand off the ball too early, and then kicking off the instep or high on the foot. And of course keeping your leg straight and aiming for the goal umpire, or was that drawing a laser line between your boot and the goal umpire? Wait, was that a puff of wind? Anyway it doesn't matter now I missed I'll get all that stuff right next time...

That's all the stuff you have to forget. All you have to do is four simple things.

Give me a player for an hour and I will make him a better kick.

Post Thanks / Like

12.17 win
    17.20 win
    9.19 loss
    11.14 win

Last night - under 15 behinds so slightly better compared to previous weeks but more goals as well would be nice
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Our accuracy has been poor this season - so I don't want this post to be defending our bad kicking.

But just wanted to put some facts into the story generally for the league. Watching and listening to football programmes, sports radio etc, or just talking to people in general about football - it seems like everyone wants to talk about 'how bad kicking at goal is these days' and how players are getting worse at kicking for goal. Statistically speaking, it is just not true. For all teams combined, this season ranks as the 6th most accurate of all time. In fact, of the top 20 'accurate' seasons, 14 of these (and 18 of the top 24) are seasons after 2000.

There was never a season where players kicked for goal at better that 50% until 1971 - and only a handful IN the 70s that were at better than 50%. Sam Newman bangs on about it - he kicked 103.129 in his career. Matthews and Bartlett - kicked more behinds than any other player in history.

Now of course modern players should be more accurate than the past. My point is that they actually are! And I wish I would stop hearing from past players, or older supporters - who are convinced that everyone kicked as straight as Plugger back in their day!

15. Thanks hujsh, GVGjr, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Now of course modern players should be more accurate than the past. My point is that they actually are! And I wish I would stop hearing from past players, or older supporters - who are convinced that everyone kicked as straight as Plugger back in their day!
    I for one have never thought goal kicking in the past was better. Players these days are incredible at snapping goals, kicking from all angles and executing the drop punt.

One stat I would like to see is accuracy with set shots.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We had less behinds compared to the opposition tonight but this still is an issue. We are quite good in open play at goal we had a few good ones tonight but still struggle at those sets although we had a few good ones.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"