Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Accuracy At Goal

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    We had less behinds compared to the opposition tonight but this still is an issue. We are quite good in open play at goal we had a few good ones tonight but still struggle at those sets although we had a few good ones.
    Kennedy could have kicked 10. Goal kicking wasn't the problem. It WA lack of pressure on the WC backs who just ran the ball out of defence
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Kennedy could have kicked 10. Goal kicking wasn't the problem. It WA lack of pressure on the WC backs who just ran the ball out of defence
    Inside 50s 47 to 50 in our favour. 9 for the Eagles from 47 and 8 for us from 50.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

3. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an interesting list. Naughton on 54% accuracy and JUH 31% and Cody 58%. Our old mate Stringer on 42%. List thanks to Oliver Gigacz

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've raised this more than once but people seem to believe Naughton is an awful kick and Jamarra is great.

What baffles me with Jamarra is the amount of set shots he absolutely shanks. He has a great kicking action so I don't understand why he kicks so many shockers. Naughton doesn't look pretty but his kicking isn't that bad save for the odd one he sprays from close range.

6. Likes EasternWest, macca, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamarra has also had quite a few “ didn’t make the distance” ones. Tom Boyd commented on the Danny Boyd podcast that fatigue can be a real factor - that sometimes forwards have covered two km between kicks - and given he does actually lead often, I wonder if this is a part explanation.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I've raised this more than once but people seem to believe Naughton is an awful kick and Jamarra is great.

What baffles me with Jamarra is the amount of set shots he absolutely shanks. He has a great kicking action so I don't understand why he kicks so many shockers. Naughton doesn't look pretty but his kicking isn't that bad save for the odd one he sprays from close range.
    I reckon he has too much up and down motion with his run up and not enough forward momentum. When I last played we had a team rule to never kick the ball without getting up to a jog. Just the same as riding a bike, you need the forward momentum for balance.

51 shots at goal is right up there, much prefer that he's getting plenty of shots and missing them than getting only a few and nailing them. He'll turn it around, such a beautiful kick when he strikes it well.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Marra doesn't concentrate like he should. Some of the shanks and misses from set shots are deplorable but he escapes criticism because he is a number 1 pick and he is young. When someone like Hannan misses gettable goals we all hear about it.

It's interesting how supporters benchmark players.

At some time the club will have to admit there is issue and do something about it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Marra doesn't concentrate like he should. Some of the shanks and misses from set shots are deplorable but he escapes criticism because he is a number 1 pick and he is young. When someone like Hannan misses gettable goals we all hear about it.

At some time the club will have to admit there is issue and do something about it.
    Hawkins said on the telecast that he doesn't like his routine, he clearly leans back and doesn't use his momentum through the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Hawkins said on the telecast that he doesn't like his routine, he clearly leans back and doesn't use his momentum through the ball.
    That goal he missed after the siren and his reaction after it to me highlights he doesn't really get the importance of nailing set shots.

13. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst post ever.

Almost wonder if there's some sort of vendetta here.

I'll raise it with Marra. Deplorable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Worst post ever.

Almost wonder if there's some sort of vendetta here.

I'll raise it with Marra. Deplorable!
    The word deplorable might not have been the best choice of a phrase and I'm happy to amend it to unfortunate if that fixes it?

Post Thanks / Like

The word deplorable might not have been the best choice of a phrase and I'm happy to amend it to unfortunate if that fixes it?
    I've texted Marra let's see what he thinks.

Post Thanks / Like

Do the players train under fatigue ? i.e do goal kicking practice at the end of sessions ?

Playing under fatigue is a whole different scenario. Muscles are tired, cramp is threatening, numbness starting to set in.

When I use to train for Taekwondo tournaments, we would do an hour of conditioning to get fatigue, and then 5 mins of sparring ( match like conditions. which was very high intensity). This was when natural technique would kick in, as the endurance and pain factor would be reaching very high thresholds.
    Last edited by macca; 20-06-2023 at 10:54 PM.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Get him down as a kicking coach next year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Jamarra has also had quite a few ? didn?t make the distance? ones. Tom Boyd commented on the Danny Boyd podcast that fatigue can be a real factor - that sometimes forwards have covered two km between kicks - and given he does actually lead often, I wonder if this is a part explanation.
    100% it does.

The mind can get tired in young players as well. This can happen in different ways such as continuous intensive focus on your role, concentrating on your positioning all match (including timing repeated leads etc.), or simply through missing a few early ones and then managing the anxiety that naturally creeps in.

When the mind is fatigued there is more risk in the process.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

21. Likes jeemak, The bulldog tragician liked this post