Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Making The Case For: Jack Gunston

As the year goes on, rumours and ideas for trades get thrown up and discussed. So far this week this forum has heard Sam Reid, Jasper Pittard & Jack Gunston (from me). To not take over the threads I thought it would be good to go out more on a limb and start a thread type making the case for a particular player. A focus discussion can confirm or dismiss an idea. So have a crack at making your own case for trade targets.

So here's my case for Jack Gunston:

Games: 133
    Goals: 277

Height: 193cm
    Weight: 87kg

Plays: Tall Forward

Why: Gunston is a dynamic proven tall goal kicker, averaging over 2 goals a game in his career to date, in strong teams with great accuracy. Averaging 6 marks a game & 14 disposals a game, This year he's averaging just 1 goal a game in a very average side. Hawthorn needs to get back into the draft, Gunston has trade value and if he's going to average just 1 goal a game to the end of his contract in 2019 they might just trade him out for draft picks, and freeing up his $650,000 a year salary. They've got Schoenmakers, O'Brien & Cicily who can replace that 1 goal a game he's averaging.

He's proven his worth, 2+ goals a game having one or two other highly talented forwards to help share or take the better defenders. With a career goal accuracy average at nearly 64%, his ability to goal from his opportunities is vital. He'd have the ability to have that talented forward line mix with us to maximise his output. He also offers us a transition strategy covering Cloke possibly retiring next year. Longer term I really like the '3 zone ruck set up', having Roughy who can drop to the back zone if needed, English who can play in the middle zone and Boyd who can play in the forward zone. So I don't think we desperately need a forward who can also ruck.

How's he make us better: He's got a heap of premiership success. He's a proven stand tall player in finals with 32.16 (66% accuracy) generating nearly four scoring shots every final. Included in that figure is 12.7 in four Grand Finals/3 Premierships (nearly 3.2 average per GF, which is rare company). Between Gunston and Dickson they average nearly 6 goals per final combined, and that would be a very dangerous combo when adding in Boyd, Crameri, Cloke (for a year or two), Stringer, Bonts etc. - A proven finals tall forward would be ideal for a team in their window who want a proven goal scorer in big finals. He's got 6-7 years of his best footy ahead of him, about as long as our window is. These years help cover Crameri retiring and having mature smart forwards as our young talls come up too. I actually think he could be our 'Ottens Trade' that sort of trade that turns very good period for a club into dynasty.

Links: I understand he's on good terms with both Suckling & Bevo.

Financial Cost: Money wise he's currently on $650,000 which is within our budget, having not secured Hurley with $800,000. Assuming the club made a responsible decision on Hurley, in that it we could sign our kids too, then we've got the ability to offer the balance of those years, 4 years at $700,000-$750,000 (He knocked back more, but this might get him with premiership bonuses on top). So it's possible, from a financial/salary cap perspective if a trade was to eventuate.

Trade Cost: This is harder part. Obviously our first rounder is in the equation, because they'd want back into the first round. They may want a younger talented player or the second rounder. We are on good trading terms with them, handing them Lake and three flags, but the 2nd or player component would be the kicker. They are missing Lewis & Mitchell, might they want someone like Dunkley & pick 18? Would we agree? A premiership player for a premiership player. We also need to bank draft points in 2018 for Rhylee West if he keeps impressing scouts, perhaps trading around future picks directly with Hawthorn or by adding in a third team depending on how strict the AFEL are with them. That would give us extra points which would be very handy. Rhylee would also be the Dunkley type replacement (hard at it, taller inside midfielder).

So jury of WOOFERS, has the case been made to your comfortable satisfaction, straight out or tinkered with?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making The Case For: Jack Gunston

Have I made the case too well, or not at all?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

For what?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    For what?
    Trade him in and pursuing him hard, or looking elsewhere for trades/free agents.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 03-05-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Ypo

Post Thanks / Like

Rather keep JJ
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly can't decide with Gunston. Dickson makes a big difference to our attack though so I have to assume Gunston would too