Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Making The Case For: Sam Reid (Sydney)

Another of these thread types. Nathan Brown suggested we are into Sam Reid of Sydney. This is my case for passing on him. So ladies & gentlemen of the WOOF jury:

Sam Reid (Sydney):

Games: 104
    Goals: 105

Height: 196cm
    Weight: 97cm

Why?: I've always had question marks on him. From a consistency perspective and physical perspective. I've said a lot when we had Liam Jones, that I thought these two were the most identical players I have ever seen. From a stats record here is the key numbers:

Liam Jones (Carlton version): Averaging 8.4 disposals, .9 goals a game
    Sam Reid (entire career): Averaging 11 disposals, 1 goals a game

On stats, that's damning to me. Especially since he's had other big forwards to take the better defenders. I know when we've seen him play against us, he's looked good. That may create a bias as the team he has scored the most against is... The Western Bulldogs. So we see his best, while fans of other clubs don't really see it. So don't take our viewing experience of him as a broader sample of his consistency.

He missed all of 2016 with injury. That's got to be a concern too. Especially if he's commanding $550,000+ a season.

Further, we need to find a proven finals performer. Reid has played in 9 finals as a forward, and has kicked only 5 goals (barely .5 goals a final). Those mere five goals were matched with 7 behinds, so he is under 50% goal kicking conversion of the 1.25 shots he gets per final. So he doesn't stand up in finals according to his stats, he doesn't get many shots on goal and the ones he does get are majority misses. So I'm really, really concerned about his ability to make us better in the window we are in. His Liam Jones comparison on stats alone gets even closer in finals:

Liam Jones (Carlton version): Averaging 8.4 disposals, 3.2 marks (1.5 contested) & .9 goals a game (50% accuracy)
    Sam Reid (finals career): Averaging 8.4 disposals, 3.4 marks (1.2 contested) & .5 goals a game (under 50% accuracy)

I think if we have one free agency shot with the salary cap we have left, the player needs to make us a better September team. Also, his goal kicking accuracy over his career is just 59% which may exacerbate our goal kicking conversion problems.

So to conclude, his body has durability issues, his career stats aren't great and finals career compare closely to the Carlton version of Liam Jones, he's not a good goal kicking converter and he goes horribly missing in September. The competition on him may mean a 4 year deal around $550,000 is the minimum offer to get him, which blocks us on other free agent or trade targets. I have a lot of issues that need to be explained before thinking this is a great idea.

Dear WOOFER jury, has the case been made to pass on Reid, or is it way off track?
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 03-05-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making The Case For: Sam Reid (Sydney)

He averages 2.4 goals a game against us over 5 games.
    2 against Brisbane - 6 games
    1.7 - Gold Coast - 6
    1.4 - Port - 7

Every other team is 1 or less. It's a pass for me at this stage but basically he has been not good enough in any year.

Even this year his 6 games have been
    3 goals, 6 goals, 1, 1, 0, 0

Just not enough impact.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has been very disappointing over the years. I realise he has had many injuries, but he just isn't consistent enough throughout the season.

This is not an impressive record.

Career Season Averages
    Year Team Games Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. Brownlow
    2017 Sydney 6 7.2 6.7 13.8 5.2 1.8 0.3 2.5 4.8 1.0 0.2
    2015 Sydney 22 6.7 6.8 13.4 5.8 0.7 0.6 2.4 2.4 0.8 0.4 0.10
    2014 Sydney 20 5.0 5.3 10.3 3.4 0.8 0.4 2.4 2.3 0.6 0.4
    2013 Sydney 10 6.1 4.7 10.8 3.8 0.7 0.4 2.4 0 0.3 0.6
    2012 Sydney 22 5.2 4.1 9.4 3.1 1.4 0.9 2.0 0 1.0 0.6 0.11
    2011 Sydney 23 6.2 4.2 10.4 4.6 1.0 1.1 2.0 0 1.1 0.4
    2010 Sydney 1 9.0 4.0 13.0 8.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0 2.0 0
    Career 104 5.9 5.1 11.1 4.3 1.0 0.7 2.2 1.2 0.9 0.4 0.04
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we are looking at him as the tall intercept mark in the backline .. Take over from Murphy, remember it's for next year and we are looking at losing Morris , Boyd and Murphy through retirement.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Maybe we are looking at him as the tall intercept mark in the backline .. Take over from Murphy, remember it's for next year and we are looking at losing Morris , Boyd and Murphy through retirement.
    Why not recruit someone proficient and experienced in that role?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Why not recruit someone proficient and experienced in that role?
    And the last time we recruited a guy who was strong in a position and we kept him there was Barry hall :-)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

To play devil's advocate I thought Reid had played as a defender since Buddy arrived at Sydney, except for this year. If I'm correct it wouldn't be fair to assess him on goal average.

He has also had a horrible run with injuries so getting continuity in his footy has been difficult. I haven't watched him that closely but every time I notice him starting to string some good quality games together he gets injured. His durability is his biggest issue.

Anyone who can get games at Sydney (not this year maybe) would be worth a look. They have been the most consistent finals contender for the last 20 years. The are a very professional club with a great football program. I wanted us to consider Xavier Richards for a rookie spot for this reason.

That said, I'd put him in the maybe pile at the right price. If there isn't anyone else that pops up why not. He could be our Rory Lobb type player.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not a high possession winner and never will be but he is a versatile player capable of holding down a few positions.
    I'd be surprised if he leaves Sydney based on some comments he has made. I hope we have a chat to him though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's not a high possession winner and never will be but he is a versatile player capable of holding down a few positions.
    I'd be surprised if he leaves Sydney based on some comments he has made. I hope we have a chat to him though
    I know you like Trengrove, and rated Schoenmakers as a junior. Both are free agents also. Would have Reid over those, as we can only afford one bigger salary all things being equal.

Post Thanks / Like

I know you like Trengrove, and rated Schoenmakers as a junior. Both are free agents also. Would have Reid over those, as we can only afford one bigger salary all things being equal.
    I'm on Team Trengove.

Main thing is he's a competitor and has a mean streak. He's multi-positional and has even kicked a few goals this year. Would suit a Beveridge game plan, IMO.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Schoenmakers hasn't improved and has stalled. I doubt he could even be a depth player because I don't think he has a true position.
    I think Trengove still appeals as a good fit for us but I don't think we will be interested.

Just on the financials, we had plenty of money to after Hurley with so I'm not so sure that with a bit of a clean and maybe a restructure of a contract or two at the end of the season we couldn't land a couple of good players if we really wanted to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Schoenmakers hasn't improved and has stalled. I doubt he could even be a depth player because I don't think he has a true position.
    I think Trengove still appeals as a good fit for us but I don't think we will be interested.

Just on the financials, we had plenty of money to after Hurley with so I'm not so sure that with a bit of a clean and maybe a restructure of a contract or two at the end of the season we couldn't land a couple of good players if we really wanted to.
    I take it you think Reid is a good player. What's he bring into the squad that we don't have and where would you play him? Are you concerned by his finals record?

Post Thanks / Like

I keep hearing about this Hurley money as if it's still just sitting around.

As well as we all might know what Hurley did or didn't get close to accepting, you can be sure that money has been soaked up via the ever increasing ambition of player managers and the influence they have over their clients.

If the money hasn't been allocated to important contract renewals over new player acquisition I'd be really surprised.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Seen a lot of Reid, always had doubts but now even more after the fine Jones comparison.

One very important point that everyone has missed is that Reid has an exceptionally small head.

That might explain a lot.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not hiring you as a lawyer BT, you basically argued the case for the opposition

Reid has had a good start to the year, you'd like to see him maintain that for a couple of seasons but then his price would go through the roof
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff