Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making The Case For: Sam Reid (Sydney)

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I'm not hiring you as a lawyer BT, you basically argued the case for the opposition

Reid has had a good start to the year, you'd like to see him maintain that for a couple of seasons but then his price would go through the roof
    2 goals in his last 4 games. He had a decent first week, got 6 against us and then fallen off a cliff.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at stats plainly is always fraught with opportunity to make poor decisions.

Reid is the classic example of how subjective or qualitative assessment is important in recruiting.

Would he be better in our system than within the Sydney system? Better check the stats.......

Have his ongoing injuries had a material impact on his development or output at Sydney? Better check the stats.......

Has playing in positions other than forward hampered his numbers as a forward? Better check the stats......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I take it you think Reid is a good player. What's he bring into the squad that we don't have and where would you play him? Are you concerned by his finals record?
    I'd like to have a versatile player who can take a grab as a forward or defender and even take a turn in the ruck and while I don't mind Reid I can't see us being serious contenders for him. I wouldn't be concerned about his finals record but I'd want to make sure he is through a lot of his injury concerns.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I keep hearing about this Hurley money as if it's still just sitting around.

As well as we all might know what Hurley did or didn't get close to accepting, you can be sure that money has been soaked up via the ever increasing ambition of player managers and the influence they have over their clients.

If the money hasn't been allocated to important contract renewals over new player acquisition I'd be really surprised.
    My comment is that if we had the capacity to chase Hurley and put a significant on the table given he didn't accept it I think we can assume we can go after other players if they really appeal. Of course the money just isn't sitting around but there must be room to chase a high priced player.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Looking at stats plainly is always fraught with opportunity to make poor decisions.

Reid is the classic example of how subjective or qualitative assessment is important in recruiting.

Would he be better in our system than within the Sydney system? Better check the stats.......

Have his ongoing injuries had a material impact on his development or output at Sydney? Better check the stats.......

Has playing in positions other than forward hampered his numbers as a forward? Better check the stats......
    Does anyone look at stats plainly? My post mentions stats a lot but the reality is watching him I think he is no chop.

Post Thanks / Like

Seem to remember a few passages of play in the 2012 GF that impressed

Checking stats

2012 GF

6 K 7 HB 3 M 1 G 1 B

Looks like he had a dirty day in the 2014 GF - not on his Pat there.

Definitely fits the athletic type we believe Bevo likes. Haven't we been linked with him before?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

Checking stats

2012 GF

6 K 7 HB 3 M 1 G 1 B

Definitely fits the athletic type we believe Bevo likes. Haven't we been linked with him before?
    Of course we have. He's a b-c grader over 6ft 3 in....
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Topdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    My comment is that if we had the capacity to chase Hurley and put a significant on the table given he didn't accept it I think we can assume we can go after other players if they really appeal. Of course the money just isn't sitting around but there must be room to chase a high priced player.
    Yeah. If the opportunity to sign a good player we'd find the money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

Checking stats

2012 GF

6 K 7 HB 3 M 1 G 1 B

Him and his brother were F/S qualified with us for most of their life before the AFeL changed the rules.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Never been impressed with Reid. Went to the SCG yesterday - he was poo against poo opposition .

The Swans #23 was pretty impressive though.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did he play this week? I didnt watch the game but with 20 goals kicked by the team for him to get just 1 behind seems like another poor game in what was essentially a training drill.

Post Thanks / Like

What about a case for Ben Reid? He gets on the park a little more often, is a little more robust in his play, can also play both ends of the ground although he's more of a defender who goes forward and that would suit us more when all our forwards have returned. We are already talking about making forwards into defenders so why not just bring in a defender? I don't know what his contract situation is but if he is uncontracted then he will be a FA too.

But if he isn't and I think he signed for three years at the end of last year what have we got that Collingwood would want? Do they have a first round pick this year or did they give it away again? Ben Reid has just turned 28. Depending on a medical would pick 18 be fair? Or is it too much? After all Hamling a premiership full back like Reid but 5 years younger was only a third round upgrade wasn't he?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Reid a fA next year I think. Still unsure of Sam and where I sit wouldn't be upset if Bevo want him.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Schoenmakers hasn't improved and has stalled. I doubt he could even be a depth player because I don't think he has a true position.
    I think Trengove still appeals as a good fit for us but I don't think we will be interested.

Just on the financials, we had plenty of money to after Hurley with so I'm not so sure that with a bit of a clean and maybe a restructure of a contract or two at the end of the season we couldn't land a couple of good players if we really wanted to.
    Reckon JJ and his manager are aware of that too.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank god we are not linked to him, Moreso on offers of $800,000 a season. No way in hell hes even close to that. Surely someone is taking the piss.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023