Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deliberate interpretation becoming 'ridiculous'

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    AFL are now asking fans via an online survey if they want the last touch as a rule.......my goodness

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-0...ast-touch-rule
    Some very leading questions and canned list of options

It's obvious that deliberate out of bounds needs to be a thing to stop time wasting, but last year's rule was fine
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Well the idiocy is at least progressing quickly. Nothing worse than slow burn idiocy (I mean, trickle down economics has been a form of idiocy that has permeated politics for at least 45 years and it's still undecided but truly tested).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL are now asking fans via an online survey if they want the last touch as a rule.......my goodness

Why am I not surprised. Basically the end of Footy as we know it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why am I not surprised. Basically the end of Footy as we know it.
    Aussie Rules Mens Netball

Post Thanks / Like

Zones will be next
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

It's clear they have no idea how to handle it and this was likely a highlighted line item on the agenda when the rules of the game committee met with the Commission today. The Commission seem ok with the 'player did not try to keep the ball in' rule but really have zero idea on the 'chaperone' over the boundary rule as coined by Dan Hennebery. Putting it out to punters as an EOI is amateurish and reactive. Clearly the AFL enjoy the theatre the rule generates and have no intention of changing it.

Eventually a player will be seen to chaperone the ball over the boundary line 25 metres from goal in a Grand Final and the subsequent goal will determine the result and then there will be strife. I'm talking the burning down of AFL house strife.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It won't happen in a GF 1ED, it will happen in a game 2/3 to 3/4 through the season between two teams not really fighting it out.

The AFL will stage manage the hell out of this one to get the result they want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Zones will be next
    If they actually used GPS technology to do it properly via a 4th umpire system zoning would solve just about every congestion issue.

Unfortunately the luddites "strategically" directing the game won't invest the time and effort (or cost) to do it properly and will continue with the piecemeal stop gaps they employ time and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If they actually used GPS technology to do it properly via a 4th umpire system zoning would solve just about every congestion issue.

Unfortunately the luddites "strategically" directing the game won't invest the time and effort (or cost) to do it properly and will continue with the piecemeal stop gaps they employ time and again.
    Good - Zones suck.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the current set up allows for phenomenal football to be played; Adelaide are putting up 25 goals a game, and pretty much any time that 2 of the top 6 or so teams play it's pretty much assured to be a great game. But the media share of the AFL as proportionate to the amount of content it has the capacity to produce lead to phenomenal overreactions to poor contests/skills/"issues" that aren't really there/etc. It's the magnification of the game, combined with an administration largely comprised of moronic luddites with CTE from having to suffer through the good old days of HIGH MARKING CONTESTED FOOTY YEAH~! that leads to the ridiculous over-corrections we see in the rules.

Can't make any content out of what's on the field? Change what's happening on it then. Will shut everyone up and get them talking at the same time. Footy is awesome and will always be awesome but there's really no escape in sight with the AFL leading the way.

There is no way to make a game between Carlton and Brisbane watchable, so stop tinkering to make it so. I wasn't there but I'm sure there were shit games back when footy was "good" too. The greater footballing public needs to accept this and take the awesome where they can get it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes bornadog, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think that the current set up allows for phenomenal football to be played; Adelaide are putting up 25 goals a game, and pretty much any time that 2 of the top 6 or so teams play it's pretty much assured to be a great game. But the media share of the AFL as proportionate to the amount of content it has the capacity to produce lead to phenomenal overreactions to poor contests/skills/"issues" that aren't really there/etc. It's the magnification of the game, combined with an administration largely comprised of moronic luddites with CTE from having to suffer through the good old days of HIGH MARKING CONTESTED FOOTY YEAH~! that leads to the ridiculous over-corrections we see in the rules.

Can't make any content out of what's on the field? Change what's happening on it then. Will shut everyone up and get them talking at the same time. Footy is awesome and will always be awesome but there's really no escape in sight with the AFL leading the way.

There is no way to make a game between Carlton and Brisbane watchable, so stop tinkering to make it so. I wasn't there but I'm sure there were shit games back when footy was "good" too. The greater footballing public needs to accept this and take the awesome where they can get it.
    Happy Days, far too much common sense in this post for the internet. I fear the google machine may implode.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Man...

In the old days a shit game of footy was even shitter than it was today. You think players miss targets and mis kick the ball these days? Ian Dunstan and Peter Featherby used to kick helicopter passes in the forward line that would get tall forwards killed these days while they were waiting for the the 40 metres in the air pass to travel the 30 or so metres from the ball carrier to them. Then there was the mud. And one footy per game that could get a little waterlogged toward the end of the game.

You're quite right. Shit teams and shit games and great teams and great games have happened every season since 1858. And in 1859 there would have been people saying "it's just not as good as it used to be."
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

14. Likes hujsh, Topdog, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deliberate OOB and 3rd man up are rules dominating the airwaves but they are such minimal problems compared to illegal disposal/HTB, which is a complete and utter mess that affects virtually every contest and stoppage. There might be 5 clear errors a round with the first two rules but there are probably 100+ issues every week of wildly differing interpretations with the latter. It was going ok in the first 2 weeks but Longmire's whinge after playing us has descended HTB/illegal disposal into farce.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Deliberate OOB and 3rd man up are rules dominating the airwaves but they are such minimal problems compared to illegal disposal/HTB, which is a complete and utter mess that affects virtually every contest and stoppage. There might be 5 clear errors a round with the first two rules but there are probably 100+ issues every week of wildly differing interpretations with the latter. It was going ok in the first 2 weeks but Longmire's whinge after playing us has descended HTB/illegal disposal into farce.
    Whilst I agree with you and you are right, there are more issues with umpiring, I still think deliberate OOB has become a farce, especially last Friday night. In 2015, to round 6, there were 25 Deliberates paid, in 2016 this grew to 85 and this year there has been 75. What a bloody joke - what was wrong with the previous interpretation????

I don't blame umpires, they have to remember so many different rules, it is just impossible to be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, we have the last touch rule in all grades in the SANFL, which means 90% of all out of bounds end up as a free kick paid. (whether it's from a kick or a handball, the intentional bit is irrelevant) The times it isn't paid is after smothers, contested possessions, etc. Allegedly it has sped the game up and less stoppages. Not sure one years research can be considered proof, but anyways. It's extremely frustrating to watch. Also. it made it harder to photo the game as no one went near the boundary lines. .The suggestion is that the CEO of the SANFL brought it in 18 months ago (without consulting the clubs...) in an effort to appease the almighty AFL gods.

It's generally hated by 90% of the fans.

18. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post