Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deliberate interpretation becoming 'ridiculous'

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    OK, we have the last touch rule in all grades in the SANFL, which means 90% of all out of bounds end up as a free kick paid. (whether it's from a kick or a handball, the intentional bit is irrelevant) The times it isn't paid is after smothers, contested possessions, etc. Allegedly it has sped the game up and less stoppages. Not sure one years research can be considered proof, but anyways. It's extremely frustrating to watch. Also. it made it harder to photo the game as no one went near the boundary lines. .The suggestion is that the CEO of the SANFL brought it in 18 months ago (without consulting the clubs...) in an effort to appease the almighty AFL gods.

It's generally hated by 90% of the fans.
    So what then happens is the ball is constantly kicked in the corridor and the game becomes congested in the middle part of the ground because everyone is avoiding the boundary line. My god what morons to bring in stupid rules. I am afraid this is what the AFL wants.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wait for the moment when a player will just leave the ball alone and let it roll out when he has plenty of time to pick it up access and kick it.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I wait for the moment when a player will just leave the ball alone and let it roll out when he has plenty of time to pick it up access and kick it.
    They are already doing this.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So what then happens is the ball is constantly kicked in the corridor and the game becomes congested in the middle part of the ground because everyone is avoiding the boundary line. My god what morons to bring in stupid rules. I am afraid this is what the AFL wants.
    At first, what happened is exactly what you said. Was more congestion than ever, Dunno if that was coaches instructions or the players being scared of the boundary line. It is now more open as they are aware of the way to play better.

Post Thanks / Like

Happens nearly every match in the Sanfl. And then the crowd get stroppy.

Post Thanks / Like

Under the current rule interpretation I can see it degenerating into a rugby up and under situation where the defender kicks it as high as they can so that the backs can run forward and contest the mark then create a stoppage.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

7. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to wait. It's happening 2 or 3 times in every game.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll hear all about the Ward deliberate OOB in the media tomorrow but nothing about the 50+ terrible non-HTB decisions that happened in tonight's game. It is bordering on farcical how many obvious frees for HTB or illegal disposal are let go when legitimate tackles that should be rewarded are not. End result - repeat stoppages and ugly packs.

Clearly this farce has been put in the too hard basket by the rules commitee.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

How the Geary tackle on Patton wasn't HTB I will never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We'll hear all about the Ward deliberate OOB in the media tomorrow but nothing about the 50+ terrible non-HTB decisions that happened in tonight's game. It is bordering on farcical how many obvious frees for HTB or illegal disposal are let go when legitimate tackles that should be rewarded are not. End result - repeat stoppages and ugly packs.

Clearly this farce has been put in the too hard basket by the rules commitee.
    Have you noticed the umpires are giving more time for the player with the ball to get rid of it. Dont worry the interpretation will change later in the year.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind some leneincy with HTB. If anything I think they'd gotten too quick on the trigger of recent years.

It really annoys me when a player gets the ball, takes one step to kick it and gets tacked in the motion of kicking and a free is given. No prior but gets paid every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't mind some leneincy with HTB. If anything I think they'd gotten too quick on the trigger of recent years.

It really annoys me when a player gets the ball, takes one step to kick it and gets tacked in the motion of kicking and a free is given. No prior but gets paid every time.
    Can't disagree more. Players are given an eternity to get rid of it, and 9 times out of 10 it becomes another boring, scrappy, crowded stoppage. They should be pinged as soon as the tackle results in an illegal/incorrect disposal - there are moments where the tackle is almost instantaneous as the player gathers the ball (such as your scenario above), and in these cases umps should immediately call a ball up instead of waiting another 5 seconds for another 15 players to arrive. Giving the players an eternity, like they've done since R3, results in nothing more than endless congestion and over-crowding around the ball.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

My oh my that call with 30 seconds left......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    My oh my that call with 30 seconds left......
    Anything could have happened from a throw in - we will never know, however 2 minutes earlier Bob laid a great tackle and the there was incorrect disposal resulting in a crucial goal. Richmond can't complain, but yes deliberate is bordering farcical.

Post Thanks / Like

Live I thought it was the correct decision. It looked like open handed shove across the line, to not let several defenders clear it. The replay showed otherwise, granted, but the field umpire was in a great spot to call it. His view would've been hard to argue not paying 'insuffient effort to keep the football within play'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023