Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballrat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballrat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.
    Agree that we must cut ties with Cairns if we are to proceed with Ballarat.

Disagree that this is an Edgewater type scenario. For one, the club isn't on the hook for millions, nor are they tasked with running the stadium. The Ballarat council is about to pay millions to take over the stadium from North Ballarat to ensure its long term survival, so even if the Roosters fold, the ground isn't at risk.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballarat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.
    You're right on the money there. Why build a 20,000 capacity ground for only two games a year? Current plans only call for developing the ground to 15,000 capacity in three stages. Although according to one of the promotional videos released a couple of months ago, the architects have made provision in the design of the new Eastern Stand which is presently eight rows deep, to remove the back and the roof and extend it rearward by another 16 rows to add a further 2000 seats if that is ever required. That would boost the ground to 17,000 seats. A 17,000 seater would be quite unique because Manuka Oval only seats 10,000 (the other 3,000 stand); Blundstone Arena and Aurora Stadium both hold 20,000 but each only accommodate 13,000 seated. The Western Bulldogs would have to commit to playing four games in Ballarat per-year to justify a 20,000 seat venue.