Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Respectfully I think you've got this wrong. Ballarat is already an AFL town meaning most of the people there who might be interested already have a team. The growth is in other areas that aren't an hours drive from weekly games. We'll sell more memberships and merch in Cairns than in Ballarat

Why do you think North ditched Ballarat for Hobart?
    No doubt it has its challenges, and it would need to a number of things to occur to fully leverage the opportunity - not the least of which are we need to play more than once a year and the stadium needs to hold more than 11,000.
    I think North's leaving isn't necessarily an indicator of our prospects, that it may seem on first glance. I think there were other issues at play than it not being profitable.
    I just see there are multiple potential positives in growing the Ballarat link that don't exist in Cairns.
    People may have teams already in Ballarat, however there are kids there now, and into the future who don't. And given our special zoning access out that way, the club is clearly going to be making efforts at being visible in the community.
    A couple of games there a year on top of our promotional, recruiting & games played there could be used to good effect to create an emerging Bulldogs enclave.

The fact they are only an hour a way from Melbourne and thus supporters can see more games, may actually be an enticing reason for locals to sign up.

Clearly though a number of things need to be worked on if the Ballarat proposal is going to have the right conditions to be strategically successful.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    No doubt it has its challenges, and it would need to a number of things to occur to fully leverage the opportunity - not the least of which are we need to play more than once a year and the stadium needs to hold more than 11,000.
    I think North's leaving isn't necessarily an indicator of our prospects, that it may seem on first glance. I think there were other issues at play than it not being profitable.
    I just see there are multiple potential positives in growing the Ballarat link that don't exist in Cairns.
    People may have teams already in Ballarat, however there are kids there now, and into the future who don't. And given our special zoning access out that way, the club is clearly going to be making efforts at being visible in the community.
    A couple of games there a year on top of our promotional, recruiting & games played there could be used to good effect to create an emerging Bulldogs enclave.

The fact they are only an hour a way from Melbourne and thus supporters can see more games, may actually be an enticing reason for locals to sign up.

Clearly though a number of things need to be worked on if the Ballarat proposal is going to have the right conditions to be strategically successful.
    You're dead right! The Bulldogs are actively getting into to schools across the region to win the hearts and minds of future generations od AFL supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt it has its challenges, and it would need to a number of things to occur to fully leverage the opportunity - not the least of which are we need to play more than once a year
    The Cairns game is what has enabled us to play 10 games at home and only sell one
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff