Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

link

THE Western Bulldogs hope their historic Ballarat fixture this season persuades the state government to almost double Eureka Stadium’s capacity.

In Round 22 the Dogs host Port Adelaide in what looms as a September-shaping clash with both clubs targeting the top four.
    But thousands of the club’s approximated 43,000 members could be locked out due to an expected capacity of 11,000 when the stadium’s $15 million upgrade is completed in June.

The renovation will shrink the playing surface to mirror Etihad Stadium and add a 5000-seat grandstand.
    Bulldogs chief executive Gary Kent wants Eureka Stadium to grow to about 20,000, similar to Tasmania’s Hobart and Launceston venues.
    The Dogs are exploring the possibility of hosting two Ballarat matches for premiership points next season plus an AFL Women’s fixture.

Kent said the club made a strategic decision to “win over the town of Ballarat” given the region is home to 100,000 people and remains an untapped market.
    But Kent said the extra Ballarat game in 2018 might not come at the expense of the Dogs’ annual Cairns fixture against Gold Coast.

That would drop the Dogs to only eight home matches at Etihad Stadium.

Hawthorn plays four home games in Launceston each season but struggles to fill the venue.
    “We’ve got to make this a real success and convince the state government to go to the next stage, so it’s closer to the capacity at Launceston and Hobart in future years,” Kent told the Herald Sun.

“We need to make (Round 22) a great success and show what demand there is in Ballarat for a venue of that size.”

Kent said the allocation of tickets wasn’t finalised, but urged Dogs fans to secure seats quickly.

“It’s only 11,000 capacity and out of that we’re allocating tourism packages, because part of the whole arrangement with us, the state government and the city of Ballarat is to promote the city.

“We’ve got over 43,000 members, so they won’t all be coming.
    “People are used to not buying their tickets and seats until quite close to the game. That’s one of the things we’re trying to get the message out to people to take up these offers.

“When general tickets go on sale there’s going to be a pretty big rush.”

The Dogs are selling $140 three-game Ballarat memberships and $75 add-ons to residents in the region.

Power business and marketing manager Matthew Richardson said their fans were already making inquiries.
    “Our members and supporters like when we play in Victoria and we get a good number travelling to games,” Richardson said.

Bob Murphy will lead the Dogs in Ballarat. Picture: AAP Images

“We also have several thousand Victorian members who have access with their memberships. The ‘away’ club always gets an allocation for their members and we are sure this game will be no different.”

AFL fixturing boss Travis Auld said it was too early to predict demand for the Round 22 clash.

“At the moment (Eureka Stadium) is considered to be a good size, certainly to launch games into Ballarat,” Auld said.
    “The facility is going to be outstanding as a regional ground. It’ll have everything you need to host a home-and-away game.
    “Over time we’ll have to assess whether there’s opportunity to further expand the ground.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Would have thought they'd build a stadium with at least 20 thou to begin with.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Would have thought they'd build a stadium with at least 20 thou to begin with.
    More money required and if local/state government was to tip in, you'd expect they'd want more than 1 or 2 AFL games a year. Would you be happy with 4 games in Ballarat a year?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    More money required and if local/state government was to tip in, you'd expect they'd want more than 1 or 2 AFL games a year. Would you be happy with 4 games in Ballarat a year?
    I'd imagine you're right, and more money would be tipped in if we play more games up there.
    I'd say 4 would do it and Cairns getting the Tijuana

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's not like 11000 is a big crowd . Would like to know the Last time we played a game with less in Victoria.
    Even if it was 20,000 it would still be full.
    I don't like the way this could end up being so small, member revolt, complaints etc. we could end up losing members.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Yes it's not like 11000 is a big crowd . Would like to know the Last time we played a game with less in Victoria.
    Even if it was 20,000 it would still be full.
    I don't like the way this could end up being so small, member revolt, complaints etc. we could end up losing members.
    There is no benefit in playing a game at WO. The reason for Ballarat is to increase our membership into regional areas.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Understandably they started off slowly but i dont think our fans will have the patience to wait another 3 years for an extension to 20k.
    I know dealing with councils and governments is often a slow process but they need to attack this with some urgency now.

It always looked to be half done and before we've even played a game we want it expanded. I think many of us predicted this.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Understandably they started off slowly but i dont think our fans will have the patience to wait another 3 years for an extension to 20k.
    I know dealing with councils and governments is often a slow process but they need to attack this with some urgency now.

It always looked to be half done and before we've even played a game we want it expanded. I think many of us predicted this.
    What does half done mean though? There was only funding for phase 1.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the post again and draw some obvious conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Read the post again and draw some obvious conclusions.
    The club wants the capacity to double, is that what you're referring to as half done? I agree that dealing with governments and councils is slow going, and by publicly stating our desire for capacity to increase, it seems like we are trying to force this through.

I doubt the club ever thought an 11,000 capacity stadium was going to be sufficient, hence the multiple phases in the initial planning brief. So no one here predicted it per se, increased capacity was always the plan.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club wants the capacity to double, is that what you're referring to as half done? I agree that dealing with governments and councils is slow going, and by publicly stating our desire for capacity to increase, it seems like we are trying to force this through.

I doubt the club ever thought an 11,000 capacity stadium was going to be sufficient, hence the multiple phases in the initial planning brief. So no one here predicted it per se, increased capacity was always the plan.
    All what you've said is a given. My point is phase two can't take 3 years plus because there is a strong chance our members will just write off going there if it's too hard to get a seat and then vastly more expensive to acquire. Has Phase 2 even been funded yet?
    For Gary Kent to come out before we have even played our first game and say it needs to be closer to 20K to me is a sign he's reading the play and hoping he can up the ante.

Having worked on a couple of high priced projects over the years there are always compromises that can be reached and settling for a venue that holds 11K was always far from ideal but now possibly made worse by our expanding membership base.
    We have also discussed this on other threads but Phase one needed to be closer to 15K especially if we are drawing teams from SA to the venue because we are anticipating they will travel there.

We have some challenges ahead to make this work.

Post Thanks / Like

That's it, Ballarat Council had to build the first phase on time, on budget, and of course the final test will be if they can fill it it at 11,000 capacity. If they can cross those lines and run the game without any glitches on game day, then we'd expect an announcement on ongoing development either on the day or very soon after. My tip is that we should expect an announcement perhaps on game day when all of the media will be there and Mr Andrews won't miss the political capital/opportunity to perhaps announce further development then.

Post Thanks / Like

It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballrat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballrat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.
    Agree that we must cut ties with Cairns if we are to proceed with Ballarat.

Disagree that this is an Edgewater type scenario. For one, the club isn't on the hook for millions, nor are they tasked with running the stadium. The Ballarat council is about to pay millions to take over the stadium from North Ballarat to ensure its long term survival, so even if the Roosters fold, the ground isn't at risk.

20. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It feels a little Edgewater to me. Another $15,000,000 or so to increase crowds for 2 games a year is irresponsible by any government. Irrespective of what we want as members of a football club. North Ballarat could fold (like Bendigo Gold) and then it's a big money pit with little return on investment for the branches of government. They'd probably need 4 games to argue the case, and mirror the Hawthorn example. That we are obviously not interested in dropping the Cairns match, has me concerned as a member. Firstly, that we've lost every week, every time after playing in Cairns which hurts us on field, but if we are flogging off 3-5 games to make more money then that also hurts us potentially by reducing our games at Etihad. Then as above, if members can't get in, then members get pissed off. There's a fair bit of risk financially, on field and impact on members - I hope the reward is worth it and eventuates.
    You're right on the money there. Why build a 20,000 capacity ground for only two games a year? Current plans only call for developing the ground to 15,000 capacity in three stages. Although according to one of the promotional videos released a couple of months ago, the architects have made provision in the design of the new Eastern Stand which is presently eight rows deep, to remove the back and the roof and extend it rearward by another 16 rows to add a further 2000 seats if that is ever required. That would boost the ground to 17,000 seats. A 17,000 seater would be quite unique because Manuka Oval only seats 10,000 (the other 3,000 stand); Blundstone Arena and Aurora Stadium both hold 20,000 but each only accommodate 13,000 seated. The Western Bulldogs would have to commit to playing four games in Ballarat per-year to justify a 20,000 seat venue.