Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Images from Eureka Stadium:

A month ago:

Two weeks ago: The official switching on of the scoreboard.

Two weeks ago: Night training - North Ballarat Roosters
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 25-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.

2. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Smads57, boydogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Two aerial shots from a week ago:
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 25-07-2017 at 05:54 PM.

4. Thanks bornadog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks really good. A lot in Ballarat and surrounds must be looking forward to AFL footy coming there soon especially our supporters from there. Thanks for sharing Woofer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Looks really good. A lot in Ballarat and surrounds must be looking forward to AFL footy coming there soon especially our supporters from there. Thanks for sharing Woofer.
    Not everybody in Ballarat is behind it, it still has its critics, but largely those are borne from jealousies and plain ignorance. Most critics are simply ranting about costs and "My rates are paying for this". Well the rate payers haven't stumped up a cent, it has been state government funded. From my perspective ... I say ... "Nobody ever built a monument yet to a single critic anywhere in the world". So the critics can go and get stuffed.

8. Likes aker39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put yourself in the shoes of the locals - who largely support clubs other than North Ballarat (the most powerful, dominant & disliked club in the BFL) who are having to watch that disliked powerhouse get an enormous boost to their facilities by the state government, and I reckon some resentment is inevitable.

I don't think it's a reflection on us.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed Webby, I do put myself in local shoes, consider:

That if it were all about gifting the North Ballarat Roosters then why did the Council take control and ownership of the ground away from them? You don't hear the residents of Ballarat bemoaning the $2.5 million spent so far to upgrade the Eastern Oval and the $750,000 that Cricket Victoria is about to upgrade the lighting at the Eastern Oval to a higher grade than Eureka Stadium, and that the Council has another $1 million of other upgrades to spectator amenities planned for that ground. Yet nobody whinges that East Point is being gifted?

Nobody moaned when $1.7 million was spent at Marty Busch Reserve upgrading Sebastopol's oval, or the $1.65 million for Alfredton home of the Ballarat FNC. They were remarkably silent when the Wendouree-Lakers had their ground rebuilt with new lighting two years ago or the $2.5 million the State Govt kicked in upgrading their pavilion earlier this year. I bet nobody will utter a word when the council start the rebuilding the City Oval later this year for the Redan FNCs benefit. As I said, it's just plain selective-ignorance and/or jealousy. People in Ballarat are fond of beating up on the local council, but they have certainly invested in sports clubs and facilities that would be the envy of many towns and cities around Australia.

Although IMO, first class facilities don't automatically translate to onfield success, otherwise Collingwood should be unassailable, and frankly they're garbage and always have been. They've won 92% of their premierships before 1958, and the bulk of those were before WW2.

Many in Ballarat cannot comprehend North Ballarat's success given that they established their current sports club in 1991 out of nothing. I am old enough to remember when North Ballarat had an old WW2 Nissen hut (relocated from the Ballarat Airport) as their club HQ, cold outdoor showers and that their oval was nothing more than a mud pit in the middle of the old Showgrounds harness racing arena prior to that, and they managed to bury the rest of the BFL even then.

The North Ballarat FNC management today are very aware that they are seen parochially as a local Ballarat suburban team in the VFL and not as a representative club of the whole of the City of Ballarat. There has been much talk recently within the NBFC of splitting the Roosters away from the club and re-branding them as "The Greater Western Roosters" to enable them to focus on being a regional feeder club into the AFL.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 27-06-2017 at 07:39 AM.

12. Thanks 1eyedog, GVGjr, boydogs thanked for this post
    Likes Webby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I think that in time many in Ballarat will come to embrace it for what it is. A local asset for the community and not a gift for the benefit of a local football team. It is the Ballarat Football and Netball League (and nobody else) who choose not to play any of their finals there, and instead choose to consign their supporters to older facilites with poor disabled amenities, poor parking, minimal facilities for ladies and minimal seating. I think that Eureka will win locals hearts as a concert venue, as a venue for local carols, as an AFL venue for the Bulldogs and as a BFNL venue for North City FNC. In time locals who experience the redeveloped ground will put it back onto the BFNL and ask why they choose not to use Eureka for their big ticket games? I can't imagine the local media being kind to the BFNL if they remain pig-headed.

14. Likes comrade, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eureka Stadium now officially 'Mars Stadium':

Local Ballarat international confectionery giant 'Mars' has been announced as the new naming rights sponsor of Eureka Stadium in Ballarat. The newly-renovated venue, which will host its first AFL game in round 22, is now known as Mars Stadium.

16. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, for those who missed out on a ticket: the bar will serve local craft beers and wines, and the day will be hosted by Fox Footy presenters and beamed lived from the stadium which will be right next door.

10am 29th July
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 15-07-2017 at 05:16 PM.

18. Thanks bornadog, Twodogs, Bulldog4life, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Okay, for those who missed out on a ticket: the bar will serve local craft beers and wines, and the day will be hosted by Fox Footy presenters and beamed lived from the stadium which will be right next door.

10am 29th July

Sounds good. I went to Adelaide happy to do the same thing. That sounds like fun.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

20. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post

10am 29th July

Sounds good. I went to Adelaide happy to do the same thing. That sounds like fun.mthink I might go up and stay with my mate in Ballarat.

22. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Port Adelaide confirm Chad Wingard will miss 2-4 weeks with a high ankle sprain.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

24. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

STAGE 1 of Mars Stadium was officially opened this morning at 11am. In a nod to Ballarat's history, the new main stand was officially named "The Eureka Stand". People were allowed to walk freely though most areas of the ground including the new Coaches and Media boxes, to test the siren, tour change rooms and so on.

26. Thanks Bulldog4life, hujsh, Eastdog, Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

The Eureka stand... It does my rebellious heart good to see a name like that.

28. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great photos Woofer.

So is the seating capacity about 11,000. I would say the grasses areas would be the standing room.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"