Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Funny isn't it . We can play at a stadium that only fits 11,000 but can't play a game at Whitten oval.
    We are focused into Ballarat now but certainly wish that was a possibility still. Certainly would need a revamp from its current state although it has certainly progressed in getting a lights for night games there. I wonder why we didn't go for the WO option originally? I'd say for our country supporters are great opportunity for them to go to a game closer to home.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Cairns is an aberration. No home crowd, climate, membership or home ground advantage.
    Ballarat given the chance and with the right promotion, can cover all of these bases.
    I live in Brisbane, love the Dogs.. and I will NEVER travel there. What's the attraction, apart from giving a potential boost to Gold Coast for a parochial, and tiny Qld audience. Yay for the 100 Bulldog supporters that ultimately choose to seek a bit of sun up north.
    I'd rather the noise of 5000 parochial Dogs supporters who make the journey to Ballarat, and perhaps the 8000 locals and near locals who appreciate the Dogs for getting an AFL game to Ballarat.
    The attraction?,How about getting out of Melbourne's oppressively cold winter and seeing the sun for few days. I went last year for the first time, left work at 4.30 and it was 10 degrees. 10 bloody degrees. Arrived up north the next day at lunch, and it was 24 (and that was unseasonally cool) . Absolutely no contest. I don't know how you reach the conclusion that the climate isn't a factor, or that Ballarat can match the climate. The ground has a great atmosphere and the locals love having us up there. I won't ever go to a game in Ballarat in winter. It'll be just another game on TV.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I won't ever go to a game in Ballarat in winter. It'll be just another game on TV.
    As is the Cairns game for 99% of Dogs fans.

And an even better bonus of playing in Ballarat? We may actually have a chance at winning the week after, given we don't have to slog it out in tropical conditions.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

And an even better bonus of playing in Ballarat? We may actually have a chance at winning the week after, given we don't have to slog it out in tropical conditions.
    The game is on July 22 at 4:30pm, the temperature will be below 25 degrees. The older blokes will probably have a better time of it than in Ballarat. We have an 8 day break afterwards against Essendon at home

I get selling home games is not great for our heartland, but Ballarat is not going to come close in terms of the money it nets the club
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

6. Likes Doggy, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    The game is on July 22 at 4:30pm, the temperature will be below 25 degrees. The older blokes will probably have a better time of it than in Ballarat. We have an 8 day break afterwards against Essendon at home

I get selling home games is not great for our heartland, but Ballarat is not going to come close in terms of the money it nets the club
    We need to move beyond chasing money over on field results. Check our record in the round following the Cairns match. It's not pleasant.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post

Ballarat represents a great opportunity to grow our membership base in a football area. Cairns offers nothing other than coin.
    Any Cairns locals at the game are going to be supporting Gold Coast.
    As for the climate for our players comfort, i think a cold game will be more easier in termsof post match recovery than a humid game in Cairns.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ballarat represents a great opportunity to grow our membership base in a football area. Cairns offers nothing other than coin.
    As for the climate for our players comfort, i think a cold game will be more easier in termsof post match recovery than a humid game in Cairns.
    Plus the players save 8 hours of flight time, and get to sleep in their own beds, maintain normal routines and I'd imagine getting able to do quicker and more thorough post game recovery. If that helps with winning the game, and a better chance of winning the next week then take the cash on offer at Ballarat and drop the Cairns game. With revenue from Ballarat memberships, Ballarat Council and you'd think a percentage from gates and food/grog sales then even if we only make $300,000 compared to $500,000 (Cairns), it's worth it from a winning perspective. Which is actually the point of a footy club that has plenty of sponsors, which we now do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily. Spoke to quite a few, and there were neutrals there happy to see us.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

They'll find another excuse. If players who are professional athletes, highly trained with the latest and greatest support systems on offer, can't sit on a plane for 3 and a bit hours, or pay a match in weather conditions that are very mild, I give up. They don't walk to Cairns.

Post Thanks / Like

They'll find another excuse. If players who are professional athletes, highly trained with the latest and greatest support systems on offer, can't sit on a plane for 3 and a bit hours, or pay a match in weather conditions that are very mild, I give up. They don't walk to Cairns.
    How long have you been a qualified Sports Scientist?

In all seriousness, why do you think we struggle to win post-Cairns matches?

Post Thanks / Like

The Ballarat Game is scheduled for early afternoon, around 1.45 pm kick-off. That means that the game will finish around 4.15 pm meaning plenty of time to get to the train station or well on your way home while it is still light. More importantly, fans won't be subjected to the brutality of a chilly Ballarat winter evening. If the weather is grey on the day, the new lights at the oval will take the edge off the dullness on the field. They're not bright enough for AFL TV broadcasting but are still very bright for night football games in the VFL, they can add more lights onto the towers if needed, but they are also putting supplementary lights onto the grandstand to brighten the oval more without pissing the local residents off too much.

Putting the weather aside, we'll keep our fingers crossed and just hope that it doesn't rain on the day. It's Ballarat and even if the sun's out in August, it'll still be frigid and chilly. As long as you are rugged up (wear a coat, gloves and scarf) and get a couple of hot pies and a couple of beers into you, you'll be more than comfortable.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 07-05-2017 at 05:17 PM.

16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good images of Eureka Stadium have emerged on Facebook on the Ballarat Council's page. The ground's coming along nicely. I think that it's scheduled for completion late next month.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 07-05-2017 at 05:04 PM.

18. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Some good images of Eureka Stadium have emerged on Facebook on the Ballarat Council's page.
    Starting to take shape:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot': "Ballarat represents a great opportunity to grow our membership base in a football area. Cairns offers nothing other than coin.
    As for the climate for our players comfort, i think a cold game will be more easier in termsof post match recovery than a humid game in Cairns."

That's exactly what it's all about mate, growing the footprint and reach of the 'WESTERN' Bulldogs beyond Footscray and Caroline Springs.

22. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The attraction? How about getting out of Melbourne's oppressively cold winter and seeing the sun for few days.
    That's fair enough for those who can afford it. I think that Cairns offers equal conditions for both teams where as Ballarat for the Dogs will become what Hobart is to North Melbourne. 'A total shock to the system for visiting teams'. Eureka Stadium plays very similarly to Hobart's Blundstone Arena. The winds can be so strong at Ballarat that 90% of the scoring will happen at one end of the ground on a really bad day. Eureka Stadium is described by locals as like playing in a cyclone. It might be a bit different once the stands are all built because the wind will be largely blocked around the goals. But later this year, it will be entertaining because the South boundary is still very much open and will only be partially blocked by the new scoreboard. But at least the goals at that end of the ground are sheltered by some trees and the old scoreboard.