Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIP The great Lou Richards

When I was growing VFL football was Mr Football (EJ), Mrs Football (Barrassi) and Lou the Lip. Loved watching Lou and Peter Landy on Seven's Big League, with Captain Blood Jack Dyer and the Geelong Flyer Bobby Davis on League Teams, and on World of Sport every Sunday morning during football season.

Lewis Thomas Charles Richards, you are a legend of the game and reminder of why we love this game...because it is fun.

Vale Lou
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Lou Richards was the face and voice of footy when I was a kid. I love watching flashback games just to hear his voice.

Great man (particularly for a Collingwood person!) As a Dogs supporter, the biggest compliment I can pay is that he did more for footy off the field than our own EJ. Ted promoted state footy, but Louie the Lip promoted footy, itself. My dad was there the day Louie "mowed" Ted's lawn in Hampshire Road, Sunshine after the Dogs upset the Pies in the late 50's or early 60's. Dad told me at least 5,000 turned up to see it! It was a big day for us, but something Lou did week in, week out.

Also looked at the parallels of Louie and our own Charlie Sutton. Louie was just over a year older than Charlie, started his career a year earlier and captained what was the Pies' '53 premiership side at the age of 30 - 12 months before Charlie captain-coached ours at age 30. An inch and a half also separated them in height.

Two little giants of the game and most most importantly, great family men.
    Brings back memories Webby. I too, as a young lad was on my bike was at Teddys that day. It was a bet during the 1961 finals if we beat Melbourne. I followed Lou closely all through my youth. I loved World of Sport. I remember later on Saturday nights going to the Phoenix Hotel in Flinders street luckily sharing a beer or 2 or 3 with Jack Dyer, Lou and Neil Roberts and others listening to their stories before we headed off to Sebastians, Berties or the Thumpin Tum. Discos in the late 60's to early 70's in Melbourne to see Billy Thorpe or Max Merrett live. Yes RIP Lou. Many happy memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I loved World of Sport, during the 70s, 80s, I was always aware that we as a club were rarely talked about, featured etc. I can hardly remember any of our players on the show.

It stuck in my mind, so even though I enjoyed the characters on the show like Lou, Bobby Davis etc I was not overly enthused by them. Same with all the media during those years. If it wasn't for ABC The Winners, we would hardly ever appear on TV replays.

The only time I really enjoyed media back then was when Teddy was promoting the Interstate matches.

These days with Foxtel showing every game, the internet, and other media, plus WOOF, I can get my Bulldog Fix
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Although I loved World of Sport, during the 70s, 80s, I was always aware that we as a club were rarely talked about, featured etc. I can hardly remember any of our players on the show.

It stuck in my mind, so even though I enjoyed the characters on the show like Lou, Bobby Davis etc I was not overly enthused by them. Same with all the media during those years. If it wasn't for ABC The Winners, we would hardly ever appear on TV replays.

The only time I really enjoyed media back then was when Teddy was promoting the Interstate matches.

These days with Foxtel showing every game, the internet, and other media, plus WOOF, I can get my Bulldog Fix
    Teddy was on World of Sport many many times BAD. Every week on coaches corner for a start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Teddy was on World of Sport many many times BAD. Every week on coaches corner for a start.
    It was because I knew I'd see Royce Hart or Frank Goode on Coaches Corner trying to explain away our latest appalling performance and they'd talk about our game on the Panel and show some single fixed position camera footage of the game that I watched WOS in the first place. And uncle Doug. I'm a big fan of doggerel.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite