Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlton Sponsorship Issues

It looks as if something messy is about to unfold at Carlton:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...10-gw20yl.html

Carlton president Mark LoGiudice has denied the club could be forced to seek financial aid from the AFL following the impending withdrawal of its major sponsor CareerOne, the registered training organisation chaired by former AFL boss Andrew Demetriou.

In a disastrous turn of events for the Blues the club is facing a black hole of more than $1 million after a major client of CareerOne was suspended pending a Federal Government audit.

Demetriou told Fairfax Media he had personally called LoGiudice to inform him that CareerOne could not meet its 2017 sponsorship commitments. He also confirmed that CareerOne had advised Carlton to look for a new major sponsor.

The Carlton president has held talks with both Demetriou in recent days and has also met CareerOne managing director John Wall in a bid to clarify the financial situation. He said that for now the players would continue to wear the CareerOne logo on their jumpers along with co major sponsor Hyundai.

LoGiudice confirmed CareerOne – in the third year of a three-year arrangement with the Blues worth a total estimated $4.5 million – had not met all its 2017 financial commitments to the club and that Carlton was now searching for a new major sponsor.

But despite the current financial strain on the club LoGiudice said the Blues had not yet approached the AFL seeking an early dividend payment or any other form of financial assistance.

"Right now it's business as usual," said LoGiudice.

"We're confident we'll get paid. There has to be a little bit of give and take in all this. They [CareerOne] have been great supporters of ours and we will come to a resolution." Of the Blues' current bottom line and cash flow LoGiudice said: "It's going to be tight but it's not catastrophic. Of course it's tough but our business has improved dramatically in recent years. There's only five clubs out of 18 that actually make money."

Demetriou said the failure to meet its quarterly payment program with Carlton had come about "through
    nothing CareerOne has done and I explained that to Mark".

He said the suspension of major client Careers Australia had seen CareerOne fail to meet its financial commitments but denied the company would cease trading.

"CareerOne and Carlton have enjoyed a great relationship," said Demetriou. "I understand better than anyone how tough it is for clubs when they're relying on certain payments so our managing director has advised Carlton to look for an alternative sponsor."

CareerOne is an offshoot of the financially troubled parent Acquire Learning, a vocational education broker which fell foul of government legislation in 2015 overhauling the student loans scheme due to concerns about some RTO providers and marketers.

CareerOne had also been the AFL's official provider in a deal in which Demetriou denied having any involvement. Demetriou added that contrary to previous reports he was not a director with Acquire Learning.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...10-gw20yl.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carlton Sponsorship Issues

That's tragic for Carlton. I hope they don't become irrelevant.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember when they built the legends stand and they had pictures of all the star players on the back wall , a year later they were gone and you had to pay $5 to sit in it ., no one paid it, it was empty most games.
    I think that was the Collins era , it's been slowly going down hill since.
    I've been saying for a few years now the big four clubs is a myth.
    Carlton are worse off than us and Essendon are nowhere near the big club either.
    Collingwood might be in for some pain also if sponsors start to jump Off and go to up And coming clubs.
    The draft and other equalization moves have changed the dynamic of the competition.
    Richmond have had their share of trouble to but seem to be coming out of it as they tend to be great at sending false hope to supporters and sponsors.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

tragic
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

6. Likes craigsahibee, Twodogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    The draft and other equalization moves have changed the dynamic of the competition.
    more likely mismanagement have led them to their predicaments
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Richmond have had their share of trouble to but seem to be coming out of it as they tend to be great at sending false hope to supporters and sponsors.
    Richmond to their credit have never let a lack of success or any real reward deter their supporters from signing up and attending games.

Collingwood also continue to be a big club, but considering how little Richmond have given back the support they receive is phenomenal. I don't particularly like them, but that is one supporter group that deserves success more than others.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You jump into bed with a sham RTO, this is what you get.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Boys club gone wrong.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure we can organise a whip around .
    Shouldn't clubs who can't look after themselves be booted out of the comp?
    Sure I heard Tom Elliott utter those words

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Do you mean Jack?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast and Melbourne still don't have sponsors on the back of their jumpers at round 8 either.

We are travelling beautifully at the moment, just need to make the most of it because it won't last forever.

Post Thanks / Like

This is absolutely awesome. Not just that Carlton are stuffed, but that so are CareerOne; one of the scummiest organisations to ever come into existence.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I, for one, am sick of having to prop up these smaller Victorian clubs. Maybe its time to start talking merger or relocation for these clubs battling for sponsorship and cash flow....

18. Likes ratsmac, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you mean Jack?

Tom's the lippy one now with all the solutions to the worlds problems on 3aw. I sometimes listen when I need to feed my sense of superiority. Half an hour listening to him and remembering that he had the best education money can buy would be enough to fuel anyone's ego. The guy is a moron.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Tom's the lippy one now with all the solutions to the worlds problems on 3aw. I sometimes listen when I need to feed my sense of superiority. Half an hour listening to him and remembering that he had the best education money can buy would be enough to fuel anyone's ego. The guy is a moron.
    Cheers, I don't know him at all
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.