Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 Premiers Western Bulldogs start to 2017 - A comparison to other drought-breakers

With 2016 being a year of drought-breaking sport wins, i thought it'd be interesting to compare the early start of the western bulldogs to the other champions of 2016.

Remember, the upsets were:

- Leicester City: English Premier League
    - Cleveland Cavaliers - NBA
    - Chicago Cub - MLB
    - Cronulla Sharks: NRL

Leicester i will leave out because they were a different beast. The premier league with no salary cap is just not fit for comparison. I'll be honest i watch zero NRL so have no idea about the cronulla sharks.

But the Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago cubs have had similar starts to the western bulldogs. The NBA is almost finished for the season, but the Cavs through the regular season struggled to say the least. They finished 2nd in the East but overall their performance was underwhelming. However since the playoffs have started they are looking a completely different team and have not lost a game en route to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Meanwhile, the MLB season has just kicked off and the chicago cubs have also made an underwhelming start. They're currently 17-17.

Both clubs have had a similar start to how the western bulldogs have started 2017. Is it a coincidence? Is it a premiership hangover? Or is it the natural human response to feel a little satisfied in having climbed the highest mountain? We won't know for sure, but if the cleveland cavaliers are anything to go by, it may well be that if we can just make the finals, we'll be able to smell the ultimate prize once again and go up a gear. Who knows.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Premiers Western Bulldogs start to 2017 - A comparison to other drought-breakers

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    With 2016 being a year of drought-breaking sport wins, i thought it'd be interesting to compare the early start of the western bulldogs to the other champions of 2016.

Remember, the upsets were:

- Leicester City: English Premier League
    - Cleveland Cavaliers - NBA
    - Chicago Cub - MLB
    - Cronulla Sharks: NRL

Leicester i will leave out because they were a different beast. The premier league with no salary cap is just not fit for comparison. I'll be honest i watch zero NRL so have no idea about the cronulla sharks.

But the Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago cubs have had similar starts to the western bulldogs. The NBA is almost finished for the season, but the Cavs through the regular season struggled to say the least. They finished 2nd in the East but overall their performance was underwhelming. However since the playoffs have started they are looking a completely different team and have not lost a game en route to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Meanwhile, the MLB season has just kicked off and the chicago cubs have also made an underwhelming start. They're currently 17-17.

Both clubs have had a similar start to how the western bulldogs have started 2017. Is it a coincidence? Is it a premiership hangover? Or is it the natural human response to feel a little satisfied in having climbed the highest mountain? We won't know for sure, but if the cleveland cavaliers are anything to go by, it may well be that if we can just make the finals, we'll be able to smell the ultimate prize once again and go up a gear. Who knows.

Good thread.
    As for Cronulla their chairman has just been charged with possession of Coke, the sponsor that signed on two months ago wants to "renogatitate" the deal but they are going ok on field. 6-3 and third on the ladder, but they started with five straight wins I think.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Premiers Western Bulldogs start to 2017 - A comparison to other drought-breakers

Any team with a Bron or Bont are going to get it on when business time comes, late in games or post season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I like this type of thread. It's also good to look at a few historical drought breakers. For example, Sydney in 2005.

They stumbled into the 2006 season and were 0&2 after two rounds and 4&3 after seven.

They then went onto make the grand final and came as close to back to back as you could possibly get.

We're gong okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Any team with a Bron or Bont are going to get it on when business time comes, late in games or post season.
    LeBron is approaching MJ levels, and will soon become the greatest scorer in post-season history.

We're blessed to be able to watch players of the caliber of LeBron & Bont. And to think Bont is probably 2 or 3 years from his physical peak!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

LeBron is chasing a "ghost" that is just a mirage. But Cleveland are flying and should make the Final.

The Sydney comparison of 2005 is interesting and gives us hope.

Leicester came very close to making the semi finals of the Champions League. Excellent effort.

I think we are going along nicely. I don't think any team would want to meet us in a final. We just have to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rooner View Post
    LeBron is chasing a "ghost" that is just a mirage. But Cleveland are flying and should make the Final.

The Sydney comparison of 2005 is interesting and gives us hope.

Leicester came very close to making the semi finals of the Champions League. Excellent effort.

I think we are going along nicely. I don't think any team would want to meet us in a final. We just have to get there.
    Yeah i think that's the key. If we stay healthy and make the finals, teams will be wary of us. The first third of the season has been poor, but our record with regards to the performance, fantastic.

Here is Sydney's 2006 results:

Rd1: Lost by 27
    Rd2: Lost by 26
    Rd3: Won by 7
    Rd4: Lost by 5
    Rd5: Won by 22
    Rd6: Won by 32
    Rd7: Won by 118
    Rd8: Won by 26
    Rd9: Won by 65
    Rd10: Won by 7
    Rd11: Lost by 2
    Rd12: Lost by 13
    Rd13: Won by 33
    Rd14: Lost by 39
    Rd15: Lost by 2
    Rd16: Won by 48
    Rd17: Won by 27
    Rd18: Won by 43
    Rd19: Won by 32
    Rd20: Lost by 27
    Rd21: Won by 57
    Rd22: Won by 92

They got off to a rough start and had another rough trot in the middle around the bye. Luckily for us so far we've only dropped one game we shouldnt have when considering the opposition. If we can win 2 out of the next 3 we'll be in an excellent position.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I'd point out as a bit of a tick for us is the fact that, of all eight teams who've played us this season, all but one have lost the following week. (The exception being Freo - who won by 2 pts the following week.)

That says to me that a hell of a lot of teams are "up" for us and have a bit of a letdown the following week. Either that, or we simply challenge and stretch teams, physically. That's a bit of a nod to us, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Err.. Went early on Richmond, here..!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, perhaps not..!!

Only Richmond..!

Post Thanks / Like

In the 8 at the end of the round only on percentage.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have the youtube links to the Octocalls for the 2016 Grand Final highlights? I can no longer find them on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Does anyone have the youtube links to the Octocalls for the 2016 Grand Final highlights? I can no longer find them on youtube.

Looks like the GF octocalls in particular are gone. The PM ones are there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    AFL put a stopper on them
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    One thing I'd point out as a bit of a tick for us is the fact that, of all eight teams who've played us this season, all but one have lost the following week. (The exception being Freo - who won by 2 pts the following week.)

That says to me that a hell of a lot of teams are "up" for us and have a bit of a letdown the following week. Either that, or we simply challenge and stretch teams, physically. That's a bit of a nod to us, I think.
    I think being the premiers you are just going to get oppositions 100%. It's just something we need to get used to. But the good thing for us is we have been competitive in every game without looking to good ourselves.

We just need to make finals and then get Lebron-like performances from the Bont