Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Salary Cap set to increase from $10.4 million to $12.45 Million -

AFL on brink of pay deal with players

The AFL will finally reveal to the 18 clubs next week the prosperous and complex new pay agreement with its players, which will see salary caps increase by close to a total of $40 million in 2017.

Full story here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salary Cap set to increase from $10.4 million to $12.45 Million -

So this Boyd contract that was going to destroy the club according to Barrett now makes him look like a bigger tosser than ever if that's possible.
    I imagine JJs contract will be done shortly now.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

"Under the new deal, the salary cap will reach $13.6 million by 2022 with the player payments to increase a further 1.2 per cent next year, 1.3 per cent in 2019 followed by 2 per cent increases in 2020, 2021 and 2022 respectively."

Salary cap relief for all for the time being. Good timing for Bont who will now get the $1m he deserves when its time to renew.

Post Thanks / Like

I think clubs will be out in force strongly looking for trades & free agents. An extra $2M is a huge amount. If Fyfe is worth $1.5M a year, then all 18 clubs can afford him now.

I wonder what JMac's strategy is? I inferred from the Dal podcast we could trade our first rounder depending on where we finish. Say there's the bulk of the Hurley offer around, plus $2M, then it's very interesting how we might go about proactive list management initiatives & who we might pursue.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

You'd have to think that the absolute bulk of that for us would go to retaining our players BT but yes you'd think that we could now easily afford another "big name" player.

Post Thanks / Like

It's alright the Bont has primed Kelly to come to us.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of people fail to realise that a portion of the increased salary cap will automatically go into existing contracts:

While the majority of players will be rewarded immediately due to contract clauses, including an automatic rise in accordance with the new CBA deal, several clubs including Port Adelaide and West Coast have most players on fixed contracts and will in the coming weeks resume negotiations with those soon coming out of contract.
    So it's not like clubs will have an extra $2 million to spend all of a sudden.

8. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. But HOPEFULLY T Boyd's is flat $$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Agreed. But HOPEFULLY T Boyd's is flat $$
    I think any manager worth his salt would've negotiated any wage rises into such a long deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    You'd have to think that the absolute bulk of that for us would go to retaining our players BT but yes you'd think that we could now easily afford another "big name" player.
    Yep - and so could everyone else.

Fyfe will be in for huge offers, Martin too although I really think he'll stay at Richmond.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep - and so could everyone else.

Fyfe will be in for huge offers, Martin too although I really think he'll stay at Richmond.
    Yep, assuming 1/4 to 1/3 of every list is uncontracted for next year, then the natural rate rises (as per above) aren't impacting the general increase, but will. We have only 8 players signed passed next year, so it won't overly hit us overly hard. You'd think nearly every team could make a 1 million to 1.5 million dollar a year offer on a player of their choosing. Even if it's only 12 clubs that can muster these offers, then it's going to be interesting post season. No doubt offers will come on our players too...

Stuff every other team (I say for this convo), Dalrymple confirmed this week we have room in our salary cap. Add in a CBA rise, a retirement or two and our banked salary cap you'd think we are in a position to re-sign those we want and either go at another large trade signing (Kelly or Gunston types - reports put Sam Reid in this camp at $800,000 a year -- Other teams could offer way more on Fyfe than we could) or perhaps go to the free agency market for two solid $500,000-$600,000 types (I.e. Trengrove, Hansen, McKenzie, Rockliff, Motlop, Schoenmakers etc).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023