Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hindsight: Josh Kelly & Pick 20 - for - Dom Tyson & Pick 9/Christian Salem

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What Essendon did with the pick is irrelevant in the discussion of whether it was a good or bad deal for us.
    Yes. All this talk of Zac Merrett by posters. How do we know if we would have chosen him.

Post Thanks / Like

What Essendon did with the pick is irrelevant in the discussion of whether it was a good or bad deal for us. Could have easily been Malcolm Karpany or Tom Cutler.
    Yep pick 26 was silly regardless of who was picked with 26

Post Thanks / Like

Pick 26 to get another club's leading goal kicker, I don't believe is a 'silly', or even an uneven trade.

We were desperate for a forward at the time - and we are talking about a proven player, rather than a relative unknown quantity.

4. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Pick 26 to get another club's leading goal kicker, I don't believe is a 'silly', or even an uneven trade.

We were desperate for a forward at the time - and we are talking about a proven player, rather than a relative unknown quantity.
    We were perhaps in a position to bargain harder, but I tend to agree.

We were an absolute rabble pre-Crameri - we had no forward line. He isn't exactly a superstar key forward, but he helped us get some structure to then improve.

His back half of 2015 was excellent - no reason he can't get back to this after his hip clears up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Kind of tangental to this thread, but IIRC in 2015 we gave up pick 11 to Carlton to get Adams & Collins.

Who did Carton get with our pick, and how do you rate this outcome for both clubs?
    After bidding on Ben Keays which Brisbane matched we got Dunkley and Collins with successive picks (25 and 26).
    We got Adams at pick 35 in the same draft

Carlton got Harry McKay with pick 11.

I guess we would be more than comfortable with the trade but it's too early to properly judge. McKay and Collins were always going to take a few seasons.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley was a pretty important member of our premiership team. He has flaws but has the attitude to overcome them.

Collins is miles off as is McKay but both have plenty of time to make it.

I think we'll look back at it as a solid outcome for us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley was a pretty important member of our premiership team. He has flaws but has the attitude to overcome them.

Collins is miles off as is McKay but both have plenty of time to make it.

I think we'll look back at it as a solid outcome for us.
    I also think there's a world of difference strategically trading down mid-late first round to a double at the top of the second (on the advice of the recruiting manager, as opposed to trading away the second draft pick in a stupidly good draft top order. To give that up, you'd hope 3.5 years on its looking like at worst a break even. It looks like a genuine stuff up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I also think there's a world of difference strategically trading down mid-late first round to a double at the top of the second (on the advice of the recruiting manager, as opposed to trading away the second draft pick in a stupidly good draft top order. To give that up, you'd hope 3.5 years on its looking like at worst a break even. It looks like a genuine stuff up.
    It's 1.5 years on, isn't it?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's 1.5 years on, isn't it?
    2013 trade period/draft.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    2013 trade period/draft.

I thought we were talking about Collins/Dunkley drafting?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    After bidding on Ben Keays which Brisbane matched we got Dunkley and Collins with successive picks (25 and 26).
    We got Adams at pick 35 in the same draft

Carlton got Harry McKay with pick 11.

I guess we would be more than comfortable with the trade but it's too early to properly judge. McKay and Collins were always going to take a few seasons.
    I thought Carlton got Charlie Curnow with our pick - I think Harry McKay was selected with their original pick. If he progresses to the player I think he'll be that will be a very good result for Carlton. I'm still very happy with the Dunks/Collins duo from a list management perspective, but I want Collins to be making some real strides in the next 18 months.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I thought Carlton got Charlie Curnow with our pick - I think Harry McKay was selected with their original pick. If he progresses to the player I think he'll be that will be a very good result for Carlton. I'm still very happy with the Dunks/Collins duo from a list management perspective, but I want Collins to be making some real strides in the next 18 months.
    Putting his injuries aside, do you have concerns?

I haven't seen enough of him, but I've been underwhelmed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Putting his injuries aside, do you have concerns?

I haven't seen enough of him, but I've been underwhelmed.
    He is 19 years old, does that change your thinking?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is 19 years old, does that change your thinking?
    He won't get much (if any) faster or more agile. He will need to find other ways to contribute but he'll be very limited in who he can match up on. As you say, he's 19 so you can't write him off but he definitely lacks many of the top level physical attributes that the best defenders have.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.