Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hindsight: Stewart Crameri

With regard to another thread bringing up the trade, my mind goes back to this board at the time where I think we topped over 1,000 posts in a single thread about Crameri before the trade went through. Which is still a woof record for a thread on a player for another club.

One of themes was 'buyer beware' with regard to possible suspension and whether he could get back. The other aspect post trade was our generous offer to them of pick 26 despite Crameri publicly saying he was wanting out, which landed them their next captain in Zak Merrett.

Now in the last year of his contract, and with at least another month off with this hip problem and a year on the sidelines (having knocked back a slap of the wrist deal), using our powers of hindsight, where do we see this trade now? What do we need to see to make it either a) A complete success or b) A complete failure?
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 17-05-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added 'before the trade went through'
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hindsight: Stewart Crameri

It is unfortunately a loss for us and foisted on us by that coach.

Hindsight is easy and we would have a better outcome to have forced the issue and not traded with Essendon.

The other thing from hindsight is how much quality was available in that draft. It would have been difficult not to pick a quality player and Merrett would really add to any side.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Same as a saw it when we did it, a silly trade that gave up far too much for a player in such a risky position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The other thing from hindsight is how much quality was available in that draft. It would have been difficult not to pick a quality player and Merrett would really add to any side.
    Players taken from pick 26 to our next pick - Fuller. Some decent names

Zach Merrett
    Sean Lemmens
    Lewis Taylor
    Rory Lobb
    Trent Dumont
    Malcolm Karpany
    George Hewett
    Tom Cutler
    Nick Robertson
    Toby Nankervis
    Jarrad Jansen
    Alex Pearce
    Dayle Garlett
    Cameron Giles
    Jay Kennedy-Harris
    Jake Kolodjashnij
    Last edited by Topdog; 17-05-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: just realised we had pick 42 with Fuller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Same as a saw it when we did it, a silly trade that gave up far too much for a player in such a risky position.
    Yeah pretty much. Said at the time we should have played hard ball and gotten him to walk for nothing, and that he wasn't/isn't worth the amount we paid. A stupid trade made at the whim of a terrible coach.

I know retrospective drafting is a fool's science, but it really burns seeing Zach Merrett running around.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah pretty much. Said at the time we should have played hard ball and gotten him to walk for nothing, and that he wasn't/isn't worth the amount we paid. A stupid trade made at the whim of a terrible coach.

I know retrospective drafting is a fool's science, but it really burns seeing Zach Merrett running around.
    Why? Who's to say we would have picked him? We could have picked Malcolm Karpany.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Why? Who's to say we would have picked him? We could have picked Malcolm Karpany.
    The point is that it's a serious asset to give up, and that Essendon picked such a good player is only further evidence to that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Players taken from pick 26 to our next pick - Honeychurch. Some decent names

Zach Merrett
    Sean Lemmens
    Lewis Taylor
    Rory Lobb
    Trent Dumont
    Malcolm Karpany
    George Hewett
    Tom Cutler
    Nick Robertson
    Toby Nankervis
    Jarrad Jansen
    Alex Pearce
    Dayle Garlett
    Cameron Giles
    Jay Kennedy-Harris
    Jake Kolodjashnij
    Matt Fuller
    Tom Barrass
    Aliir Aliir
    Mitchell Harvey
    Riley Knight
    Ben Brown
    Dylan Main
    Nathan Gordon
    Nick Holman
    Darcy Byrne-Jones
    Josh Walker
    Orazio Fantasia
    James Sicily
    Jayden Hunt
    Brady Grey
    John Ceglar
    Our next pick was Fuller.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anything will make the trade either a complete success or complete failure.

Pretty good output from him in years 1 & 2 of his contract. In the year he missed, we win the premiership. Once he gets back, we'll see if he can do enough to win himself another contract with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I don't think anything will make the trade either a complete success or complete failure.

Pretty good output from him in years 1 & 2 of his contract. In the year he missed, we win the premiership. Once he gets back, we'll see if he can do enough to win himself another contract with us.
    Agreed. He has been a valuable player and kicked plenty of goals. May have cost a bit but who cares, we got a goal kicker.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who thinks the initial posts are a little heartless, given Stewart is about to undergo surgery which will see a further period on the sidelines. I for one wish him well for a speedy recovery and return to the team.

I must confess there are times when I feel some disquiet regarding some of the posts I read here.

Support for the team is one thing, but support for the individuals who make up the team is also an essential.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the initial posts are a little heartless, given Stewart is about to undergo surgery which will see a further period on the sidelines. I for one wish him well for a speedy recovery and return to the team.

I must confess there are times when I feel some disquiet regarding some of the posts I read here.

Support for the team is one thing, but support for the individuals who make up the team is also an essential.
    I dont understand this to be honest. I support big Stew and will do so as long as he is associated with the club but I do query the trade and the decisions made at that time.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We should have played hardball with Essendon with Stewie.
    I'm all for maintaining healthy trading relationships, but they're a different beast .
    In particular the vile that was coming from the mouths of people there about him .

Post Thanks / Like

Worse still was trading Brian Lake for a pick upgrade to a club desperate for a key defender on day 1 of the trade period.

Did we overpay for Crameri? Marginally, but we got solid service in his first 2 years when we had very little up forward. He has had an awful start to 2017, but I am surprised at those who are writing him off so quickly. Get his hip right, return to play and then discuss his progress/contract.

It's been far from a disaster.

I'm much more annoyed that we took Fuller over some bloody good footballers.

16. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lake deal was much worse than this but then you look at the Hawks clearing Mitchell & Lewis for peanuts and it's hard to really pinpoint what's bad and what's not these days.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post