Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I've learned-Round 9 v Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    1. I had no idea just how much of a dirty cheat Joel Selwood was. His 'ankle-tap' on Tory Dickson had me seething.
    2. No team gets 'looked after' better at home than Geelong. I'm still befuddled by the HTB paid against Bob. Which, funnily enough, the got a goal out of.
    3. Bailey and Bailey look more like league footballers with every game.
    I think Bailey Williams will be a good player. I don't think Dale or Webb are progressing as we'd like.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think Bailey Williams will be a good player. I don't think Dale or Webb are progressing as we'd like.
    What would you like to see from Dale that you didn't see on Friday?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Bailey Williams was quite good and clearly will be a player. I think Webb will be ok too. You're a bit harsh on Dale, I thought he did really well on Friday.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    What would you like to see from Dale that you didn't see on Friday?
    I probably shouldn't have said 'progressing how we'd like' because they are both so young but neither of them are ready yet.

I thought he was better against Geelong than West Coast but I think he's an almost player. Age is on his side though. He needs further development in the gym, he's very slight which affects his ability around the ball and one on one in the air. He needs to work on his fitness too he's run out of steam late on both occasions and has been a non-factor in the last quarter in both games he's played. If he's a third leading tall he needs to work on his leading patterns because he hasn't been nailed on a lead once, much of this has to do with the opposition closing up space, as well as how we move the ball forward as well as his fitness. Dicko does this well though.

He's a nice kick and has showed good vision with his hands in congestion at times so there are positives but I just think he needs further development. The skills are certainly there and additional preseasons may well clean up the other issues.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I agree Bailey Williams was quite good and clearly will be a player. I think Webb will be ok too. You're a bit harsh on Dale, I thought he did really well on Friday.
    He was just ok. I can't understand how he's in the team and McLean is in the magoos. McLean is so far ahead of him imo.

Post Thanks / Like

He was just ok. I can't understand how he's in the team and McLean is in the magoos. McLean is so far ahead of him imo.
    Are you happy with the fact that McLean in his last 2 games has had just the 4 kicks in each game?

I'm certainly not, and I think the MC agrees.

7. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Williams has elite disposal and generally makes good decisions (crappy right foot banana turnover in the last qtr notwithstanding, which was as costly as anything Clokey did but nobody mentioned it) but I worry about his lack of pace. He looks really slow for a running defender.

Dale has a skillset that is more complete than these two when you factor in his ability to break lines - doesn't make him a better player but the potential ceiling is higher IMO.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Williams has elite disposal and generally makes good decisions (crappy right foot banana turnover in the last qtr notwithstanding, which was as costly as anything Clokey did but nobody mentioned it) but I worry about his lack of pace. He looks really slow for a running defender.

Dale has a skillset that is more complete than these two when you factor in his ability to break lines - doesn't make him a better player but the potential ceiling is higher IMO.
    Although Williams looks a little slow, I like the way he doesn't panic and he seems to have all the time in the world. He rarely gets caught HTB.

Webb needs to find more of the ball in the mid field.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Are you happy with the fact that McLean in his last 2 games has had just the 4 kicks in each game?

I'm certainly not, and I think the MC agrees.
    VFL? 25 touches last week.

His last few AFL games were ok 4 kicks and 16 handballs and kicked a goal and 22 touches in the other game so I'm not sure what you're talking about? No idea why he was dropped in the first place.

He also has bitcoins in the bank as far as I'm concerned. If you're going to make an example of someone for poor form there's far worse than McLean haven't been dropped over the past 6 weeks. Boyd, Suckling, Hunter, Smith...

He's far superior to Dale and Webb in terms of pressure, tackling, touches and shots on goal and should be in the team. I expect him to come in after a strong showing in the VFL against the Cats.

Post Thanks / Like

VFL?

His last few AFL games were ok 4 kicks and 16 handballs and kicked a goal and 22 touches in the other game. No idea why he was dropped in the first place.

He also has bitcoins in the bank as far as I'm concerned. If you're going to make an example of someone for poor form there's far worse than McLean haven't been dropped over the past 6 weeks. Boyd, Suckling, Hunter, Smith...
    In his last 2 games in the AFL team he has had 4-14 & 4-16... For a player who can run and kick that ratio of kicks to handballs is way off the mark.

Agree that he wasn't the only playing struggling, but it's done now and hopefully when he returns he will be a more rounded player.

Post Thanks / Like

While Dale doesn't get a lot of the ball, there's a level of composure about him that's rare among players his age.

He's got plenty of work to do but I like what I see.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In his last 2 games in the AFL team he has had 4-14 & 4-16... For a player who can run and kick that ratio of kicks to handballs is way off the mark.

Agree that he wasn't the only playing struggling, but it's done now and hopefully when he returns he will be a more rounded player.
    He's kicked a goal in both of those games. Dale needs to start hitting the scoreboard otherwise he needs to get more involved around the ball or increase his defensive pressure. Toby had massive games against North and Brisbane leading up to his 18 and 20 possession games plus, those two games you've referenced indicate how and where he got the ball, CPs are up meaning he was playing more midfield time rather than outside / forward.

Anyway, I hope he'll get a call up this week.

Post Thanks / Like

He's kicked a goal in both of those games. Dale needs to start hitting the scoreboard otherwise he needs to get more involved around the ball or increase his defensive pressure. Toby had massive games against North and Brisbane leading up to his 18 and 20 possession games plus, those two games you've referenced indicate how and where he got the ball, CPs are up meaning he was playing more midfield time rather than outside / forward.

Anyway, I hope he'll get a call up this week.
    17 tackles in the VFL last week - he is banging the door off the hinges to get back in. He has to be elevated this week.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that McLean should come in....but not for Dale. For the life of me I can't work out why you'd drop someone who is identified as a future senior player and is actually starting to show his attributes.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd bring in McLean for Hunter.

The latter has escaped criticism, but he's been horrible this year.