Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

IMO Murphy looks worse than both Boyd and Morris and I'm somewhat surprised at how kind posters are being towards him.

Love the guy, but some of his efforts and lack of efforts have been disturbing in the last 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Yep, definitely the sort of thing that comes with experience

I brought it up to say you can't just blame Murphy for that goal. His options dried up, Williams probably should have done better with it than he did
    That goal was 100% Murphy's fault. If there are really no options kick down the line.

But still he chose to run inwards, he did a terrible handball and then he was a mile away from where he should be to try and get a handball back.

3. Likes hujsh, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob misses 'conference call' on retirement

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Robert Murphy is yet to decide whether he will play on next year, and will consider how his side is travelling before making a call.

Murphy has played 12 matches this year in his return from a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered early in the 2016 season.
    The Dogs are in 10th spot with a 9-8 record, with faint hopes of emulating their flag last year, despite having strung together consecutive wins for the first time since rounds four and five this season.

The 35-year-old missed out on last year's premiership and told Melbourne radio station SEN on Wednesday morning in his classic tongue-in-cheek manner that the retirements of Adelaide midfielder Scott Thompson and Richmond ruckman Ivan Maric had brought his own future into question.

"I haven't made a decision but if they (the Dogs) needed one, I would hurry up," Murphy said.
    "I'm happy just to see how the body goes, see what our situation is.
    "It was only this week that, because the season does get away from you, you think, the end of the season is actually coming …

"It's now that all these blokes of my vintage are going, 'I'm not going around (again)', you go, 'Oh God, I wish we'd had a conference call'."

Murphy has been limited this season by injuries to both hamstrings and clean-up surgery on his left knee.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    That goal was 100% Murphy's fault. If there are really no options kick down the line.

But still he chose to run inwards, he did a terrible handball and then he was a mile away from where he should be to try and get a handball back.
    Yep, Williams seemed to cop hospital handballs twice in 5 minutes in Cairns, the first one was Murph's fault.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

AFL.com take, I have to agree with most of it:

Stay or go? Your club's over-30s

WESTERN BULLDOGS

With the premiers' list still one of the youngest in the competition, they have no real reason to push veterans into retirement before their time. While Dale Morris should play on, expect fellow club greats Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd to retire.

Matthew Boyd
    The 2016 All Australian, who turns 35 next month, has battled injuries and indifferent form recently, and is likely to retire at season's end. GO

Travis Cloke
    It's been a disappointing first season at Whitten Oval for the former Magpie, with form and mental health issues limiting him to just six games. While the 30-year-old is contracted for 2018, he may retire if his form and enjoyment for the game doesn't improve. STAY

Tory Dickson
    With injuries wiping out his pre-season and sidelining him until round eight, the goalsneak hasn't been unable to produce consistent form this season. Turning 30 in September, Dickson is contracted for 2018. STAY

Dale Morris
    The 34-year-old has a had a wretched run of injuries this season, but the mishaps have occurred through bad luck rather than the gun defender's body failing him. STAY

Robert Murphy
    While it's unfortunate the skipper missed out on last year's premiership triumph, this season looms as the 35-year-old's last chance to win a flag as repeated hamstring injuries have interrupted his sound form. GO

Liam Picken
    Turning 31 early next month, the versatile playmaker is still a key cog in the Bulldog machine. Contracted until 2019. STAY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Love the guy, but some of his efforts and lack of efforts have been disturbing in the last 2 weeks.
    I've noticed hes 'given up' a few times over the last few weeks. Hes just about cooked.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think it's too early to call. The difference between having a good game and an ordinary one sometimes comes down to the bounce of the ball early on and the dumb luck of having a couple of errant opposition kicks land in your lap. Get off to a good start, nail a couple of tackles, go for Arun and bounce, confidence builds and your back in the groove. I'm yet to be convinced that Bob has lost his pace or agility but I'm keeping an open mind.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

VETERAN defender Dale Morris is keen to play on next season if the Western Bulldogs see him as part of their future.

With the 34-year-old touch and go to play again this season after breaking his arm in round 18, Morris could join fellow club greats Robert Murphy and
    Matthew Boyd in finishing up at season's end.

While Murphy and Boyd are yet to disclose whether they want to play on, Morris said he'd love extend his career into a 14th season.
    "I’ve said all along that if the club want me and there’s a role for me there, then I’ll keep going forever," Morris told Fox Footy on Wednesday night.

"But we’ll have those discussions in due course and work all that out.
    "Except for my chalky bones, yes, I feel great."

Broken bones have restricted Morris to just nine games this season, with a fractured leg in round one sidelining him for eight weeks.
    With an inability to keep up with the pace of the game usually a sign a veteran's days are numbered, Morris has no concerns as he is still one the of the
    Dogs' most dependable servants.

But if the club does decide to go in another direction, the All Australian will be shattered and accepting of the decision at the same time.
    "So, if the club turned to me and said, 'that's it', I would be upset, and probably devastated," he said.

"But I understand where things are at, I understand how lucky I am and I’ve been there — I’ve been up the top, we’ve won the premiership and I’ve been a part of a successful club, I’ve been a part of a club that’s not so successful.

"So, it is what it is (and) a lot of this stuff’s out of my control unfortunately — I can’t be out there playing footy but I’ll keep fronting up."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a legend

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we'll be all devastated if Dale retires .

Post Thanks / Like

Should be another statue made of Morris tackling Franklin Called "The premiership tackle"
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes merantau, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MBoyd announcing his retirement according to Mark Stevens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    MBoyd announcing his retirement according to Mark Stevens
    Yes - the time is right, but will be sad to see one of our most consistent performers of the past 10 years finish up. Whilst he's polarised at times, he's always been a great clubman and example to our group - the move to half back was brilliant and the fact he earned AA selection last year a testament to his durability and willingness to sacrifice himself for the team.

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Highest games played for a rookie ever. Former captain. Huge result from the Frankston VFL ressies.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Been great . Cops a fair bit of rubbishing, but he's had a heck of a career

21. Likes 1eyedog liked this post