Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

You just have to look at the contest in isolation. It's classic Dale Morris. He was completely out of position as the kick was brilliant to Lynch's advantage. Any normal player would have given up and conceded the mark. Not Dale Morris. He somehow got a hand to the ball. Absolute champion.

Saw Chris Grant following the ambulance on the way out of the ground and he looked distressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately for Dale his form this year has been very poor. There's no way he can be offered another contract for next year, especially with Cordy and Young coming on this year.

Murph played maybe the worst game he's played in 5 years. Still think he can turn it around enough to contribute this year but probably not enough to earn the right to play again next year.

Matty Boyd in a similar situation to Murph.

It will be a big challenge for the likes of Wallis, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Wood, Bont and Libba to take over the leadership reigns next year.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit different to most when it comes to veterans and AFL list management. In AFL culture we seem to want to retire any veteran who isn't near their best. For mine, I am a bit more American Sports model when it comes to a team with short term aspirations (we are surely in this category). I think if a player is happy to play for a low-ish salary, can improve the 22 and happy to be potentially playing VFL if he is struggling, he plays. My benchmark is how they end the year. If they aren't best 22, then sadly they have to go of course.

Looking at the trio...
    Matt Boyd- he doesn't look best 22, just a depth player. For mine he isn't an example of going one year too long as he has added depth to our team. He is done.

Dale Morris- Tougher call. If Adams was fit, he wouldn't be best 22 but Adams body is super unreliable. He is the definition of a role model and can play on a variety of forwards. I think if we land Lever, he is too far down the pecking order. Also depends on how Collins and/or Roberts finish off the season, if they look first 22 locks, Moz is gone as well.

Bob- really interesting one. He is coming back from a knee. Players at their peak struggle first year back. I still think he is best 22 and leadership is wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I'm a bit different to most when it comes to veterans and AFL list management. In AFL culture we seem to want to retire any veteran who isn't near their best. For mine, I am a bit more American Sports model when it comes to a team with short term aspirations (we are surely in this category). I think if a player is happy to play for a low-ish salary, can improve the 22 and happy to be potentially playing VFL if he is struggling, he plays. My benchmark is how they end the year. If they aren't best 22, then sadly they have to go of course.

Looking at the trio...
    Matt Boyd- he doesn't look best 22, just a depth player. For mine he isn't an example of going one year too long as he has added depth to our team. He is done.

Dale Morris- Tougher call. If Adams was fit, he wouldn't be best 22 but Adams body is super unreliable. He is the definition of a role model and can play on a variety of forwards. I think if we land Lever, he is too far down the pecking order. Also depends on how Collins and/or Roberts finish off the season, if they look first 22 locks, Moz is gone as well.

Bob- really interesting one. He is coming back from a knee. Players at their peak struggle first year back. I still think he is best 22 and leadership is wow.
    To be honest I don't think leadership is a problem at our club we have multiple leaders who can take that role as proved last year .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    To be honest I don't think leadership is a problem at our club we have multiple leaders who can take that role as proved last year .
    Yeah I don't think it is either however you can never have too many.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Moz go again next year. I don't think he's been as bad as what everyone else thinks. He has been a victim of a very poor team defence this year thats exposed our defenders to too many one on one's week after week. Still has something to offer for mine. If we get back to our team defence mentality then all our defenders will look better & Moz will be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I'd like to see Moz go again next year. I don't think he's been as bad as what everyone else thinks. He has been a victim of a very poor team defence this year thats exposed our defenders to too many one on one's week after week. Still has something to offer for mine. If we get back to our team defence mentality then all our defenders will look better & Moz will be awesome.
    We judge our veterans compared to great standards they set rather than the 22nd best player benchmark. We elevate our judgements on kids based on potential.

I neglected one factor, needing to turn over at least 3 players. Hamilton and Matty Boyd going means we still have one spot. There's a fair argument to say Crameri and/or Clay Smith look physically less up to it than Morris and/or Bob. Is a banged up body healthier just because it hasn't got 30 something years linked to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the trio...

Of the three veterans, I feel Bob is the one that is moving nicely. He still has some pace, and kicks the ball well when he is on. He made a real blunder last night handballing to Williams who was covered by GC, and the ball was turned over and they got an easy goal. That doesn't happen all the time.

I think the thing that has stopped Bob from performing better this year, is the injuries he has had.

It is going to be a tough call by the club if these guys all want to play on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    In my view....THE best Bulldogs defender and one of the best AFL defenders.
    Good call. Maybe Peter Foster shades him but Peter Foster was a superstar.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

In that play Williams didn't offer overlap run boundary side which he should have. It showed a lack of awareness to be honest, and meant that Bob was left with no options after getting in a bind.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Good call. Maybe Peter Foster shades him but Peter Foster was a superstar.
    Fossie could play either end too. I remember on some of those windy days at Whitten Oval he would play one end all day.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My attempt of the order of the guys who offer us least going forward
    1- Hamilton
    2- M.Boyd
    3- Morris
    4- Bob
    5- Clay
    6- Honeychurch

Feel like Clay and Honey have enough upside to have turning over at least 3 be a factor in whether we keep Bob or Moz. Maybe Honey or Clay could go onto rookie list though.

Post Thanks / Like

Just mentioned on fox footy , Morris out for 4-6 but wants to go on and the club are keen for him to go on .
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes Doc26, boydogs, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My attempt of the order of the guys who offer us least going forward
    1- Hamilton
    2- M.Boyd
    3- Morris
    4- Bob
    5- Clay
    6- Honeychurch

Feel like Clay and Honey have enough upside to have turning over at least 3 be a factor in whether we keep Bob or Moz. Maybe Honey or Clay could go onto rookie list though.
    Be interesting to see if Crameri is part of our plans next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit tough on Morris . Big injury at the start of the year ( missed a lot of footy) . Just got a feeling he'll stay , Bob and M. Boyd go