Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGentStand View Post
    None of them are 'done' yet and all should be judged at the end of the season.
    Yes agree none are done yet, the question I pose is do we take a risk on 3 spots for 3 x 36 year olds ( next year)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This will be a very difficult call for Bevo.
    All three have been wonderful servants of our Club over a long period of time. Given their longevity with the break neck speed of today's game injuries are beginning to catch up with all three. We are well off for defenders given the now 3 year contract extension for Adams who together with Wood JJ Roberts Cordy Biggs and Williams does provide us with depth. Murphy has shown before his weekend injury that he does have the flexibility to go forward and play well plus he has proven to be a fine leader. Morris has probably been the best defender I have seen at our Club over the past 20 years or more. He is never beaten. Matthew Boyd has turned his game around since moving to defence and is a multiple B & F winner. Better to wait in my opinion until season's end before jumping to any conclusions.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Morris is still playing at the level he is now I think he and the club will want him to play on.

I'm guessing both Murphy and Boyd will retire.

Should Murphy maintain the form he has shown this year or maybe x fingers improve (since his return I think understandably he has lost some of his pace and as a consequence is a bit more rushed with his disposal leading to a few more errors) he might go on, however if he does I think he should pass captaincy onto Wood next year.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Murphy's body is wrecked. It's held together by duct tape and cable ties. I can't see him getting up for another season. This will be it I reckon.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I think Boyd is done Murphy is the most interesting in my mind. Physically I think he can continue but he has two young kids and needs to think of the damage he has done the last couple of years to an ageing body. Morris I think will continue but wouldn't blame him if he hung em up to.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Old Father Time catches up with all of us eventually but it's too early to make the call on these three remarkable players. My wish is that a Flag win will make the decision for us. What a way to go out! GO DOGS!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

9. Likes bornadog, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We should not forget Roarke Smith if he can get back after the cruel injury he has showed some promise and could be a handy replacement.

11. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That 6 month gap between the last game of 2017 and the first game of 2018 can seem like 16 months for anyone over the age of 30, let alone 36 year olds.

Matty Boyd has been one of our greats of all time, but I feel that he will read the tea leaves and call time at some stage during the year.

Dale will bravely hold on, as Dale does, but will probably need to be tapped on the shoulder at the end of the year.

I'm happy to wait to see how Bob finishes the year, specifically how he recovers from this hamstring. Depending on the progress of Williams and others while he is out of the side, there may be a role for Bob up forward in the back half of the year. If he can play that role and not hinder the development of the likes of Williams, Webb, Dale etc, I'm happy for the club to keep him on the list for one more year. Having said all that, if we go back to back and Bob's an integral part of it, that'll be it.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All three are out or have been out with injuries this year. Thats usually a sign of time catching up with players. You'd hope for their aspirations for playing finals (especially) or playing on in 2018 that there's no more injuries.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

There's a long way to go this year. At this stage, I reckon Boyd is more likely to be playing his last year than not, whereas Morris is more likely to go on. I was thinking Bob had another one left in him prior to this last injury, if he can return in similar form to early year I can see him going on again.

In terms of list progression, I don't think it's ideal for all 3 to go at once, even though we do have strong leaders amongst the 20somethings. I'd like to see something like Boyd 2016; Bob 2016 or 2017; Morris 2017 or 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Murphy's body is wrecked. It's held together by duct tape and cable ties. I can't see him getting up for another season. This will be it I reckon.
    Yep - getting an arthroscopy while his hamstring recovers now. Struggling
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Not too concerned about Morris but fear for Murph and Boydy. Once you start getting soft tissue injuries at this stage of your career........
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Morris played 100% TOG on the weekend. He will go around another year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Not too concerned about Morris but fear for Murph and Boydy. Once you start getting soft tissue injuries at this stage of your career........
    That's where I think it's at. So long as injuries don't creep into Morris' body, like tears and strains, he can play with broken legs and backs. So we just needs his muscles and tendons to stay strong.

Boyd is cooked (I'd love to be proven wrong) and as others have said above, the medico's are full time managing Bob's body with knee issues and a hamstring strain (and he's had a week off against WCE to freshen up too). The moderate severity of the hammy in consideration of the very innocuous way he did it, indicates to me (with no training or expertise mind you) that his aging body is final period of being able to cope with the hell an AFL player has to put their body through.

So right now, I'd say Boyd is retiring at the end of the year, Murphy is more likely than not to retire and Morris is more likely than not to go again. Luckily we are flush for HBFs so we can cover them with players already on the list.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Morris can play until he's 40 as far as I'm concerned. Just roll him out for finals.

Boyd is hanging onto the edge of the cliff and Murph's ageing body (haha, he's only 4 years older than me) is clearly struggling to cope with the demands of the game.

Boyd and Murph to finish up, with Boyd helping our young guys at Footscray by the end of the season and Murphy winning a fairy tale flag. Morris to continue to dominate for another couple of years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

22. Likes Topdog liked this post