Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn 2009 > Western Bulldogs 2017

If it was too early to draw comparisons, I think we can start to look at what Hawthorn did to bounce back. It's starting to feel a lot a like, but learning from Hawthorn did is helpful. As above, bringing in Gibson & Burgoyne at their peaks. I could live with something like that this trade season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this comparison on the way in. They finished 9th in 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If it was too early to draw comparisons, I think we can start to look at what Hawthorn did to bounce back. It's starting to feel a lot a like, but learning from Hawthorn did is helpful. As above, bringing in Gibson & Burgoyne at their peaks. I could live with something like that this trade season.
    Thinking along the same lines . They got Burgoyne in to replace Crawford and Gibson in for Croad. Remember Hawthorn playing Robert Campbell at full back in 09

Post Thanks / Like

Was Bevo there during this period?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Was Bevo there during this period?
    No ... Bevo was with Collingwood for the 2010 premiership. I think he joined Hawthorn in 2012
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    No ... Bevo was with Collingwood for the 2010 premiership. I think he joined Hawthorn in 2012
    Yep. He saw Collingwood not go back to back, and joined a club who pinched one early and wandered along until a finding that spark to go 4 GFs in a row.

The talent from Hawthorn 2009, Collingwood 2010 & Bulldogs 2016 didn't just evaporate. It's a matter of the talent wanting it, coaching being excellent, skills improving and in Hawthorn's case, recruiting/trading/free agenting really well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Watching Murph and the look on his face after the game last week was instructional. He just slumped forward in his seat and fiddled with his watch. He looked for all the world like a man who's happiness was in the hands of others who didn't seem to particularly care about it.

If I had a Medallian in my pocket I don't know how I'd look Murph or Wally or Jongy in the face.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. He saw Collingwood not go back to back, and joined a club who pinched one early and wandered along until a finding that spark to go 4 GFs in a row.

The talent from Hawthorn 2009, Collingwood 2010 & Bulldogs 2016 didn't just evaporate. It's a matter of the talent wanting it, coaching being excellent, skills improving and in Hawthorn's case, recruiting/trading/free agenting really well.
    I actually think he had 2011 off ... not involved with any club. Not sure if he went back into private enterprise or what he did.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think he had 2011 off ... not involved with any club. Not sure if he went back into private enterprise or what he did.
    Pretty sure you're right. The general point was that he's experienced in seeing teams have premiership success, and what they did to win. But also experience is seeing those teams lose 'it' or in the Hawthorn case, rediscover 'it'. Hopefully that experience will come in handy post season because we don't have 'it' right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Went into the public service for a year to see if he wanted to use his professional qualification (I want to say he has an MBA but that sounds wrong as well) he was planning infrastructure I think
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Let's just hope the club don't think this is some sort of gap year hangover thingy .
    Hawthorn didn't treat it that way after 09, and addressed their defiencies .

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article by Chris Judd saying he and Luke Hodge draw comparisons to Hawthorn's 2009.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...19-gwtuv7.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to hear that from Hodge, as an example of what may (or may not) be happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Here's an article by Chris Judd saying he and Luke Hodge draw comparisons to Hawthorn's 2009.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...19-gwtuv7.html
    They must have had a beer together.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They must have had a beer together.
    Worked together for Triple M over the weekend.