Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Axed Dog not as 'physically prepared' as last year

LINK

DROPPED Bulldog Tom Liberatore isn't as "physically prepared" as he was last year and might be suffering something of a premiership hangover, Dogs coach Luke Beveridge has revealed.

Beveridge said Liberatore's demotion to the VFL was partly due to him becoming merely a stoppage player who didn't get involved enough in other aspects of the game.

However, the Western Bulldogs coach hoped the omission would act as a "circuit-breaker" for the 25-year-old, and suggested that a strong showing in Footscray's VFL game against Geelong at Whitten Oval on Saturday could result in an immediate return to AFL level.

With "hand on heart", Beveridge also rejected a rumour that Liberatore's omission was related to off-field matters.

In the opening eight rounds, Liberatore averaged just 17.25 possessions, including only 4.5 kicks – significantly down on his past three completed seasons when he averaged 23.4 touches, including 10.8 kicks.

"There's no doubt that Tom, I think, may not be as physically prepared as he was last year," Beveridge told SEN on Saturday.

"I think it's got to do with … that legacy after winning a premiership.
    "He understands part of the reasoning. His challenge now is to get himself back to physical capability to play the game.

"At the moment it's more of a stoppage-to-stoppage view from Tommy, (but) he's got so much more to offer. His very best footy can really influence games.

"It may well be a circuit-breaker. Sometimes going back to the VFL allows a player to free themselves up a little bit as well. I've got no doubt today that he'll do that (and) his game will be a little bit different.

"There's no penalties. You go down, you play well. If he's best player on the ground and we need to make a change, he might come straight back up.

Beveridge said the psychological effect of the club's astonishing second premiership was "one of the great unknowns" at this stage.

"Just achieving that in any given year is quite amazing, but to do it after a drought of 62 years, and the kudos and the attention they've had, how do they get themselves back to their very, very best?" he pondered.

"I'm not sure the effect it's had on them yet. We just think that at some point they'll all come out of it. I don't think it's totally happened yet."

Beveridge said he remained optimistic that the Dogs would become a better team than they were last year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Axed Dog not as 'physically prepared' as last year

Libbas not alone. The majority of our players don't seem 'prepared' for this season whether its mentally or physically. Worrying times.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Libbas not alone. The majority of our players don't seem 'prepared' for this season whether its mentally or physically. Worrying times.

Any others stand out in particular Chef?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Any others stand out in particular Chef?
    It would be easier to name the ones that are or were ready.

Bont and Macrae are the only two that i think can be proud of their whole effort so far this season. The others have a fair bit of work to do to get back to last seasons bench mark.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Bont and Macrae are the only two that i think can be proud of their whole effort so far this season. The others have a fair bit of work to do to get back to last seasons bench mark.
    Jong has been an improver. Stringer started the year better than he finished last year

Hunter has been down, Picken & Libba have dropped right off since their concussions
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Jong has been an improver. Stringer started the year better than he finished last year

Hunter has been down, Picken & Libba have dropped right off since their concussions
    True. Add Jong to Bont and Macrae.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter started ok, but his last few weeks have been as bad as he's given for some time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Hunter started ok, but his last few weeks have been as bad as he's given for some time.
    He had a nightmare last night but he wasn't the only one.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Libba certainly hasn't been the best this year. I hope he can soon recapture some form back.

A few of our players look a bit down on form but there are others who have looked quite good. Jong I think has had a very good year. Woody has lifted again and Daniel is getting back into it.

But boydogs is right Picko as well as Libba haven't been the greatest this year even Bont has been a bit out of form but still I think does a lot of important things in games even when his disposal count isn't the highest.

Q: Could there be more going on with Libba?

I'm hoping Crameri comes back but it seems his 2017 hasn't gone as planned.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The head line is ridiculous, Libba missed twelves months of footy before last year. So what do you know he has the longest preseason ever, meaning he is cherry ripe for round 1 2016. Fast forward 9-10months later and he has surgery to clean up and stabilise an ankle after a brutal month of footy, after working his arse off to get back from injury that usually takes 10 weeks.

He didn't run until January and played 5 weeks later, in the preseason. He hasn't been great by any stretch but talk about the stating the *!*!*!*!en obvious when it comes to this article.
    Last edited by SlimPickens; 21-05-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

12. Likes azabob, MrMahatma, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    The head line is ridiculous, Libba missed twelves months of footy before last year. So what do you know he has the longest preseason ever, meaning he is cherry ripe for round 1 2016. Fast forward 9-10months later and he has surgery to clean up and stabilise an ankle after a brutal month of footy, after working his arse off to get back from injury that usually takes 10 weeks.

He didn't run until January and played 5 weeks later, in the preseason. He hasn't been great by any stretch but talk about the staying the *!*!*!*!en obvious when it comes to this article.
    Good point, but he's not the only one who had post-season surgery or had running restrictions yet he's being overly impacted.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't run until January and played 5 weeks later, in the preseason. He hasn't been great by any stretch but talk about the staying the *!*!*!*!en obvious when it comes to this article.
    Unfortunately for Tom he's publicly and less publicly forged a reputation that precedes itself. He's made conscious decisions to behave a certain way, so the perception of pretty much all and sundry on the outside who've witnessed it to varying degrees is that he's likely partied too hard. Nobody's going to take the time to go into the detail you've highlighted that probably accounts for the majority of his present form issues.

I said a few weeks ago that his kicking which is elite, wasn't being used enough. Now I know why.

What I'd really like to know is how he approached his rehab, and how he presented condition wise post the GF knowing that he was having surgery post season.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get what you are saying but I believe Tom Boyd had his surgery straight after the season so that he would be ready for the 2017 season.
    I wonder if we underestimated the extent of time Liberatore would need to recover from surgery or did we delay it so that he could have his end of season holiday meaning he was always going to be well behind?

I doubt Bevo would say he hasn't done the work as per the previous year if it was actually more about the impact of the surgery. Over a few years Tom has a earned a reputation for really getting stuck into his training and it appears Bevo hasn't quite seen that in him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In fairness Bevo has come out and said he isn't as physically prepared as he was 12 months ago .
    If it was a case of Beeing underdone I'm sure Beveridge would have said as such .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    In fairness Bevo has come out and said he isn't as physically prepared as he was 12 months ago .
    If it was a case of Beeing underdone I'm sure Beveridge would have said as such .
    Yep, Bevo brought this into the public domain for a reason.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"