Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do we untie ourselves?

The 2017 season has not been to our liking and while we have had lots of glimpses of last year from 2016 (premiership year) in the games we just seem to struggle to string 4 quarters together. When was the last time we had a comprehensive 10 goal win over a team? So what do we do to get out of the hole? What does Bevo and the players need to do to propel us again to be a force to be reckoned with.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do we untie ourselves?

We made some strides forward in the Geelong game, we just met them at their absolute best. I'm confident we're on the right path now with some injured players back in the team
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    We made some strides forward in the Geelong game, we just met them at their absolute best. I'm confident we're on the right path now with some injured players back in the team
    That's just it isn't it. Geelong played their guts out to beat us at their home ground by 20 points. We played in patches and only lost in the last 5 minites really. We brought in players from lengthy stints on the sidelines and they are still finding touch.

There is plenty of upside for the Dogs yet. We just have to keep the wins ticking over to make sure we make the 8 and better still keep top 4 a reality.

We were 6 wins and 3 losses at the same stage last year and it turned out ok. But last year we played our first 7 games at Etihad. This year we have played only 4 at Etihad and we've had 3 interstate and 1 in Geelong which is practically interstate. I have no doubt that we will smash the 2nd half of the season and head into the finals with full momentum.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

4. Likes N/A, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest....we've really only played one decent match and that resulted in a narrow loss to GWS. The upside is that other results have fallen our way to the extent we are still in the race for top four, but need to start getting our act together....starting this week in one of the biggest H and A matches we have played in some time.

Now that we are getting players back from injury I'm hoping we can get the chemistry right on field and make a big charge in the second half of the year. I still reckon we are up to our ears in the premiership race.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been unconvincing to date but so has every team at times. Look at Adelaide. Smashed 2 weeks running. So in a very even season we are very much in it provided we get our kicking boots on and our best players back on the park and firing.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

It's obvious a fit Roughead makes us an exponentially better side.
    Get him in and let him build up AFL-level match fitness for the second half of the year.

The hunger needs to return - Bevo and the MC demoting formally best 22 players should kick a few up the backside so they know they aren't automatic selections.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We just haven't clicked into gear yet but are on the up I think. Taking into account all teams we have played have been primed for their biggest game of the year. We are just getting beaten by teams at their best. A little desperation by the boys and a little cleaner and the wins will start adding up

AFL is a mind set. We won the flag because our mind was on the the job. If we can get our heads around being hunted we will be pretty awesome to watch in the back half

Post Thanks / Like

I want to go into the break at 6/4 and then storm home in the last half to be top 4. We can't afford to lose too many more. We could easily have won all four games to date if our best 22 were available, so I am not too worried at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're 1 win behind where we were this time last season.

Our big issue is going to be percentage. Even if we get enough wins on the board for top 4, based on how tight this season is shaping up we could well end up 8th...

What we can't do is expect another GF win from the bottom half of the 8. Not saying it couldn't happen, but we need to be winning more games now to get us in a better position.

Blokes are missing continuity but that aside we have a healthy list. We really have no excuses not to win on the weekend. It's mini final. We've got to stop showing glimpses and put on a 4 quarter effort.

It's been a frustrating year and it'll slip away from us pretty soon if we don't post a few wins om the trot, and soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I want to go into the break at 6/4 and then storm home in the last half to be top 4. We can't afford to lose too many more. We could easily have won all four games to date if our best 22 were available, so I am not too worried at this stage.
    Same here. If we lose this weekend though it's going to make it that much harder. Still bullish about the second half of the season. If we have near best 22 each week we can make top 4 given the inconsistent form of the teams above us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone sounds pretty optimistic, in this thread at least. Anyone else worried we might miss the eight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Everyone sounds pretty optimistic, in this thread at least. Anyone else worried we might miss the eight?
    Yup.

I appreciate the personnel mix isn't right yet, but at the same time, that didn't seem to stop us so much last season.

Being the hunted rather than the hunter seems to be playing on us.
    Last edited by Daughter of the West; 24-05-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: No rites good Engleish
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet. As above I feel a loss this week and then another in Sydney when we return will tighten the screws. Both are possibilities.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The draw for us has been bloody tough keep in mind.
    2 trips to perth already (freo on the rebound), giants in Canberra, cats in geelong (on the rebound and opening their ground),

We've got the saints on the rebound this week and Sydney in Sydney also in top form.

That's pretty tough really, but good sides need to find a way to win. We were poor against west coke and should of won, should of beaten GWS, and really let the Geelong game slip as well.

The season really is on a knife edge for us now, need to win this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, and I think if we lose to saints and then Sydney, I think it will be out of reach with our extremely avge percentage. We just aren't playing consistent football. We just don't have a team of players hungry for success and playing for each other. To me, the premiership hangover is well and truly there...it just seems our players aren't quite mentally switched on. Whether they think it will just happen again, or whether other teams have worked us out and we can't maintain a 4 qtr consistency, I'm not sure what to make of it...lets just see how hungry our players are for sustained success, and that all starts this week in a must win game for mine. If we go to the bye outside of the 8, and will Sydney to face thereafter, it could be damaging to our chances....I know we have had injuries to main players, but even getting them all back, we need to have the team balance right and everyone playing well.
    I will never see #16 the same!!