Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

30+ Point Leads Aren't What They Used To Be

What's going on with the game? Not long ago getting a lead over 5 goals was enough to rest easy, or consign yourself to a loss, not anymore. Anyone have an idea why?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 30+ Point Leads Aren't What They Used To Be

Teams do seem to score quickly when the momentum changes.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Footballers are faster, more athletic aad better kicks than the good old days, and therefore they are able to move the ball very quickly from one end to the other.

A bit of momentum and next thing you know 5 goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Does that mean teams can not defend well enough then? I agree the scoring ability is improved, but why can't teams defend well enough?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Does that mean teams can not defend well enough then? I agree the scoring ability is improved, but why can't teams defend well enough?
    The change in HTB interpretation might have a butterfly effect. If teams can just propel the ball forward without a legitimate disposal, it's easier to break away and pepper the attacking 50. Teams then go defensive, make mistakes under pressure and all of a sudden, there's 5 goals kicked in a row where previously, a free kick here or there might have stifled the momentum.

I could be off base but the two may be correlated.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of teams have lost the ability to play tempo footy and can't close out quarters or play tight for 5 or 10 minutes.
    We see the same in cricket where batsman are still playing their shots in the last over of a session.

I think it's a reflection on how they are coached and that the leaders or senior players on the field can't really control things as well as we think they should be able to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"