Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Round 10, 2017 Discussion

Absolutely disgraceful game tonight. I still can't believe the way Port were treated and it wasn't just the last 5 minutes.

Robbie Gray was manhandled all night and time and time again it was just let go. How Scott carries on like that in the box with the pathetically one sided umpiring that Geelong repeatedly receives is down right embarrassing.

Can someone tell me why there wasn't a score review?

Technically correct decision for the play on call at the end? Disgusting in my view and if that's the way the AFL see it then there will be a hell of a lot of fake hammy's getting done.

Post Thanks / Like

I agreed with the Dixon play on call. It's harsh but his fault. He had multiple warnings from both the umpire and big screen, why you would wait for the clock to hit zero beats me.

I didn't think the umpiring was as blatantly bad as in our game, I thought in our match there were atleast 4 decisions in the final quarter that were clearly wrong (Menegola htb, Menzel play on, Murphy htb, Selwood htb, with there being a trip in there as well from Selwood that tbf would have been hard to spot). Last night it was more the 50-50 type frees that didn't go Ports way, although I found the one where Henderson got a free for nothing a bit shit.

Also I thought the Dangerfield goal at the end as worth a review. I know they all get reviewed but nothing much was made of that.

Two other non umpiring things to come out of last night for me though were:
    -Selwood is my most hated player. Unfortunately when he retires the narrative is going to be "an uncompromising player admired and respected by the wider footballing public"
    -Daisy Pearce was probably the best bit of the coverage. Her contributions were informative, clear and to the point. Huge contrast with Cameron Lings comments that rotate between stating how good the Geelong players are and bumbling explanations or poorly made statements of the most obvious stuff. Also Bruce last night was terrible.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I agreed with the Dixon play on call. It's harsh but his fault. He had multiple warnings from both the umpire and big screen, why you would wait for the clock to hit zero beats me.
    If players take one step forward when the umpires moves them along, they normally don't call play on. If Dixon took one step he would have been fine
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes aker39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    These umpires are just cheating now. Hawkins threw it straight up in the air and what do you know play on.
    Yes that was a disgrace. He literally threw it straight up in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the big screen actually show the shot clock? I dont think it did, at least the angle on the video from the previous page wasn't showing it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Did the big screen actually show the shot clock? I dont think it did, at least the angle on the video from the previous page wasn't showing it
    Absolutely it did.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I can't believe the comments about the shot clock.

There is only 1 person to blame and it is not the umpires or the Geelong players.

You see Dixon look at the scoreboard with the shot clock.

The same thing happens every week. As soon as a mark or free kick is paid, the shot clock starts and it doesn't stop unless the umpire signals time on for any reason.
    The players get told when there are 15 seconds gone and get a whistle when 5 seconds left.

You clearly see the umpire do this and once it gets to zero he calls play on. The player doesn't get 31 or 32 seconds, he gets 30.

The one rule where it is black and white, not open to interpretation, and people still complain.
    There is one big difference between the 6 seconds and the 30 seconds.
    There is a big clock on the screen counting down the 30 seconds.
    There is no technicality here. 0 in the clock, call play on.
    I'd like some examples of where it has gone over 30 seconds.
    The smart players start walking in with 3 seconds left ( that is all they have to do, start their approach) the dumb players like Dixon wait for it to get to zero
    The best example I can think of is Tory Dickson in the prelim. Marked the ball with 29 seconds to go in the game. He took the first step of his run up when the umpire called "move it on".

Two seconds later the siren sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Are you responding to my post Aker39?

What if he's not materially injured but slowed down from impact that was unfair? Assume it would then come down to discreation?

I'm not being a smart arse, just trying to understand.
    Without the experience of being an umpire I assume the following applies:

If the umpire was of the belief that there was "impact that was unfair", they have the option of paying the free kick instead of the mark, and calling time on. If the contact was late or significant, a 50 metre penalty can be paid. Aker39 is welcome to correct me on that.

The play on was the correct call, but the encroachment was missed.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter whether it's a mark or free kick. If the umpire thinks there is a delay in play, due to injury or the ball being knocked a distance away, they will signal time on. The shot clock person (which is not the timekeepers) will stop the 30 second clock on that signal and start it again when time off is signalled.

Last night, there was no need to signal time on, Dixon wasn't injured, he was just tired and took a while to get up, which ate in to his 30 seconds.

PS - If there is a mark and free kick to the same player, a free kick will always be paid, because advantage can not be paid after a mark.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely it did.
    Watched it on my phone initially and couldn't see it. Just watched it again on PC screen and I can indeed now see the clock. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Huge goal by Burgoyne. 1 point game with 5 minutes to go

Post Thanks / Like

Lol Swans and Saints
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Lol Swans and Saints
    Yep. My second team is Hawthorn. I don't want a potential competitor during our dynasty attempt getting a top 5 pick in addition to their first rounder this year (Saints).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He he he. Almost Horse, almost.

[IMG]images.jpg[/IMG]

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would love the Dawks to scrounge together about 10-11 wins and a 10th placed finish
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Would love the Dawks to scrounge together about 10-11 wins and a 10th placed finish
    I think they will get to 9. Probably finish 12th with that