Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Round 10, 2017 Discussion

Geelong are doing what Hawthorn did last year winning games by reputation. Soon they will fall and fall hard just like Hawthorn.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the comments about the shot clock.

There is only 1 person to blame and it is not the umpires or the Geelong players.

You see Dixon look at the scoreboard with the shot clock.

The same thing happens every week. As soon as a mark or free kick is paid, the shot clock starts and it doesn't stop unless the umpire signals time on for any reason.
    The players get told when there are 15 seconds gone and get a whistle when 5 seconds left.

You clearly see the umpire do this and once it gets to zero he calls play on. The player doesn't get 31 or 32 seconds, he gets 30.

The one rule where it is black and white, not open to interpretation, and people still complain.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

3. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many times I saw Geelong players appealing for everything, especially deliberate.
    The amount of times the two port forwards were dragged to the ground it wrapped around the neck and not given free kicks was horrible.
    This #freekick should be changed to #nofreekickagainstgeelong
    Bring back the biff

5. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is also a rule that a player gets 6 seconds to dispose of the ball after taking a mark or free kick in open play. Yet I can recall at least one incident this year where a player had the ball for over 9 seconds before being called to move on. It cost is the game against GWS.

You can refer to it as correct on a technicality but players take longer than 30 seconds at times and don't get called. It was an utter disgrace of a decision by an umpire that for sucked in.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I can't believe the comments about the shot clock.

There is only 1 person to blame and it is not the umpires or the Geelong players.

You see Dixon look at the scoreboard with the shot clock.

The same thing happens every week. As soon as a mark or free kick is paid, the shot clock starts and it doesn't stop unless the umpire signals time on for any reason.
    The players get told when there are 15 seconds gone and get a whistle when 5 seconds left.

You clearly see the umpire do this and once it gets to zero he calls play on. The player doesn't get 31 or 32 seconds, he gets 30.

The one rule where it is black and white, not open to interpretation, and people still complain.
    When does the clock start? When the free kick is given or when the player gets the ball in his hand?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    There is also a rule that a player gets 6 seconds to dispose of the ball after taking a mark or free kick in open play. Yet I can recall at least one incident this year where a player had the ball for over 9 seconds before being called to move on. It cost is the game against GWS.

You can refer to it as correct on a technicality but players take longer than 30 seconds at times and don't get called. It was an utter disgrace of a decision by an umpire that for sucked in.
    And there lies the problem. Technically it's probably correct, but why start now to be so black and white? It's why I'm wondering if it's going to be a flavour of the month rule.

Post Thanks / Like

There is one big difference between the 6 seconds and the 30 seconds.
    There is a big clock on the screen counting down the 30 seconds.
    There is no technicality here. 0 in the clock, call play on.
    I'd like some examples of where it has gone over 30 seconds.
    The smart players start walking in with 3 seconds left ( that is all they have to do, start their approach) the dumb players like Dixon wait for it to get to zero

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    And there lies the problem. Technically it's probably correct, but why start now to be so black and white? It's why I'm wondering if it's going to be a flavour of the month rule.
    They haven't just started it.
    As I said to Comrade, please show me one example where a player has got to zero and not been called to play on.

You won't find one because no one is dumb enough to let it get to zero.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said to Comrade, please show me one example where a player has got to zero and not been called to play on.

It happened in a game last year, North Melbourne were playing, maybe it was Ben Brown. The commentators made reference to it at the time.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It happened in a game last year, North Melbourne were playing, maybe it was Ben Brown. The commentators made reference to it at the time.
    Yep and it was announced the umpire got it wrong.
    The problem in that case was that the umpire missed giving him the 15 second warning.
    Umpiring department said it should have been play on.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep and it was announced the umpire got it wrong.
    The problem in that case was that the umpire missed giving him the 15 second warning.
    Umpiring department said it should have been play on.
    Aker39, you haven't answered my question above.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Aker39, you haven't answered my question above.
    I'm not 100% sure.
    I don't think it is relevant here though.
    Dixon could see on the scoreboard how long he had to go. The umpire whistled him with 5 seconds to go.
    This is a clear case of a player not knowing the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

The main issue with the Dixon call was there were a couple of Geelong players well within the 10m protected zone, but as we know that rule has gone the way of the dodo bird.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take your word for it mate. Having ssid that I won't be surprised we see it again this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure.
    I don't think it is relevant here though.
    Dixon could see on the scoreboard how long he had to go. The umpire whistled him with 5 seconds to go.
    This is a clear case of a player not knowing the rules.
    I understand your point. Someone on Twitter said the clock started when he was lying on the ground. By the time he got up, lined up etc at least 10 seconds gone. He may not have looked at the scoreboard and thought he had more time. As Sedat says, he was also surrounded by Geelong players. ( not sure how close they were.)