Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 14, 2017 vs North Melbourne

This 3 changes 5 changes thing week to week does nothing to assist settling the team. Some have been forced but we are chopping and changing a lot. Honey deserves one more week after all the hard work he's done at VFL level.

Ins: Murph
    Out: Jong
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

5 changes were warranted after the Sydney game. It was disgusting, this week not much better.

I'd be looking to sure up some areas we lack in. Bring a ruckman in, how stubborn are our MC. Get someone in there who can actually help get first hands on the ball. The ruck rules have changed and we have not adapted at all. There is no 3rd man up anymore so this makeshift ruck lineup does not work!

Play Boyd forward. FFS play him forward!!! He can still chop out in ruck but we need a true target and a proper structure.

KPD. Roughy back or Roberts to come in if he's ok.

Murph for Jong

Ins: Campbell, Murphy (Roberts)
    Outs: Jong, Biggs

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    5 changes were warranted after the Sydney game. It was disgusting, this week not much better.

I'd be looking to sure up some areas we lack in. Bring a ruckman in, how stubborn are our MC. Get someone in there who can actually help get first hands on the ball. The ruck rules have changed and we have not adapted at all. There is no 3rd man up anymore so this makeshift ruck lineup does not work!

Play Boyd forward. FFS play him forward!!! He can still chop out in ruck but we need a true target and a proper structure.

KPD. Roughy back or Roberts to come in if he's ok.

Murph for Jong

Ins: Campbell, Murphy (Roberts)
    Outs: Jong, Biggs
    Did you even watch the game yesterday?

Boyd & Roughy had 60 hit-outs between them.. Pederson & McDonald had 17... Winning hit-outs isn't the problem.

5. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll need to bring in at least one tall to combat North's forward line. It might be an in form Campbell and Roughy thrown down back, or Collins, but he might not be ready. I'm concerned about Morris, his last few outings have been a long way off his best. We need him to find form, because the old fella might just be our most important player right now.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Did you even watch the game yesterday?

Boyd & Roughy had 60 hit-outs between them.. Pederson & McDonald had 17... Winning hit-outs isn't the problem.
    I go every week, the condescending tone from you is not needed.

I've got no answers on our inability to get our hands on the footy. Ruck contests yesterday won were not to our advantage and when we did get a clearance we were outnumbered forward and Melbourne cleared with ease. I truely believe we need a sole ruckman. Boyd to chop out and play as a forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Challenging times - throw a few debuts in the mix for a spark.

IN: Smith, Lipinski, Young
    OUT: Jong, Dickson, Biggs

Stringer, Picken, Bont , JJ & T Boyd need to do a lot more. I'd give Honeychurch another week, at least he was getting into some dangerous spots and did have 20 touches. Bont's stats of 24 and a goal look ok, but he's off the pace.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I go every week, the condescending tone from you is not needed.

I've got no answers on our inability to get our hands on the footy. Ruck contests yesterday won were not to our advantage and when we did get a clearance we were outnumbered forward and Melbourne cleared with ease. I truely believe we need a sole ruckman. Boyd to chop out and play as a forward.
    Not sure Campbell is the answer to that. Surely if we want a sole ruckman we play Roughead there for longer periods.

Either way the point is that despite our ruckmen winning or losing ruck taps our clearance work is pathetic. Something has to change with the players aropund the ball and how they are setting up. The ruckmen (while not helping) are not the problem.

To me it seemed as if we weren't even communicating though. Multiple times from boundary throw ins Boyd would whack it forward to Melbournes last mid (usually Jones) and our players would have to run past 3 Melbourne players just to get near it. They were good taps, why don't we communicate that it is going to happen so our midfielders have a chance of getting there?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not sure Campbell is the answer to that. Surely if we want a sole ruckman we play Roughead there for longer periods.

Either way the point is that despite our ruckmen winning or losing ruck taps our clearance work is pathetic. Something has to change with the players aropund the ball and how they are setting up. The ruckmen (while not helping) are not the problem.

To me it seemed as if we weren't even communicating though. Multiple times from boundary throw ins Boyd would whack it forward to Melbournes last mid (usually Jones) and our players would have to run past 3 Melbourne players just to get near it. They were good taps, why don't we communicate that it is going to happen so our midfielders have a chance of getting there?
    We're thin down back and I'd be tempted to throw him back there and bring Campbell into the team. Yesterday was the worst I've seen our back half in a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like

We're thin down back and I'd be tempted to throw him back there and bring Campbell into the team. Yesterday was the worst I've seen our back half in a very long time.
    Is that a personnel issue or the way we set-up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is that a personnel issue or the way we set-up?
    Set-up, without a shadow of a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

A big issue with the defence yesterday was speed. It was really only a couple of times that the Dees took contested marks inside 50, most of their goals were either through their forward pressure, or on turnover getting players loose for chest marks or running goals.

North is a totally different proposition this week - and they direct a high % of their I50's to Brown and Waite, with some other medium forwards as lead/mark targets (Wood, Garner, Higgins when he is forward).

Post Thanks / Like

In: Clay, Collins, Campbell
    Out: Jong, Biggs, McLean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Pretty sure Murph will come straight back in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Pretty much agree on this.

I do think at some stage we need to play Webb for a block of games. I'd have him ahead of Honeychurch who is neither a goal sneak or a midfielder. With Jong out, our midfield is really light too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ins - Outs:

Webb - Jong (Inj) (mid for mid)
    Williams - Biggs (HBF for HBF)
    Murphy - McLean (utility for utility)
    Collins - Picken (structural change. Picko needs to find form, urgently)
    Cloke - Honeychurch (structural change. With Boyd, two genuine tall targets, plus Stringer. Hopefully there's good supply for them)

I'd consider sending JJ back with a task to develop his game passed what's ahead him now, but that's not going to help negotiations.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post