Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 14, 2017 vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I know he won't, doesn't mean he shouldn't... He is the new Eagleton!
    Was waiting for it
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Dale - He and Suckling are a bit Eagleton like where it's either good or bad and nothing in between. I think the team balance has been off and we need hard nuts in the side.
    I disagree. The balance is about right, it's just our midfield is so woefully out of form that it makes I difficult for us to do anything well.

If we remove Dale and Suckling we remove two of our very few good users in the side, making it far too unbalanced in favour of stacking it with slow to medium pace hard at it players. With those two out the only good users left in the side are JJ, Daniel, Bont, Libba, Dickson and Stringer (and even then Bont is horribly out of form, Libba plays more inside, and Dickson and Stringer have limited touches and are often under pressure due to terrible delivery).

W don't need more hard nuts in the side, we just need the ones we have to start performing.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I disagree. The balance is about right, it's just our midfield is so woefully out of form that it makes I difficult for us to do anything well.

If we remove Dale and Suckling we remove two of our very few good users in the side, making it far too unbalanced in favour of stacking it with slow to medium pace hard at it players. With those two out the only good users left in the side are JJ, Daniel, Bont, Libba, Dickson and Stringer (and even then Bont is horribly out of form, Libba plays more inside, and Dickson and Stringer have limited touches and are often under pressure due to terrible delivery).

W don't need more hard nuts in the side, we just need the ones we have to start performing.
    We also need our 'outisde' players to start being effective with the ball almost every time they touch it, and both Suckling & Dale miles off from that occuring.. When your foot skills are your main (or only) weapon running at only 50% of kicks hitting the intended target isn't good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    outs:

Honeychurch- looked out of his depth, was slow made bad skill errors and is not reliable by foot, especially around goals. Has a poor record of goal accuracy at VFL level and that doesn't easily correct itself or warrant him a spot in the AFL side. Maybe i'm being harsh but from that performance it was clear in my opinion that he's a decent VFL player but not AFL quality.
    Mentioned it elsewhere, but I would give Honeychurch another week. He was far from our worst and it can't be easy to come in and play your best footy when it is your first game for a long time and the blokes around you are playing utter shite. I think the regulars have to put up their hands for letting him down and setting him up for failure. The two misses were costly at pivotal points in the game, but so were a thousand other skill errors/contests/decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Mentioned it elsewhere, but I would give Honeychurch another week. He was far from our worst and it can't be easy to come in and play your best footy when it is your first game for a long time and the blokes around you are playing utter shite. I think the regulars have to put up their hands for letting him down and setting him up for failure. The two misses were costly at pivotal points in the game, but so were a thousand other skill errors/contests/decisions.
    Im more disappointed with his pressure. He lacks class we all know that, he at least has to bring manic pressure and considering he has been waiting a long time for an opportunity thought he was poor indeed on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Im more disappointed with his pressure. He lacks class we all know that, he at least has to bring manic pressure and considering he has been waiting a long time for an opportunity thought he was poor indeed on Sunday.
    On the plus side he had 4 tackles, along with his 20 disposals as well as getting himself in a position to kick 3 goals. I know he didn't get them but at least he positioned himself in the right spot.

I would like to see him play a few more games before I write him off - prior to Sunday, he hadn't played an AFL game for 12 months.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    On the plus side he had 4 tackles, along with his 20 disposals as well as getting himself in a position to kick 3 goals. I know he didn't get them but at least he positioned himself in the right spot.

I would like to see him play a few more games before I write him off - prior to Sunday, he hadn't played an AFL game for 12 months.
    He had 9 kicks.. at least 6 or 7 missed the intended target. Regardless of how long he's been out of AFL action for his ability to use the ball effectively by foot is his greatest knock... and it seems it hasn't improved.

Post Thanks / Like

My immediate/knee jerk reaction was "he's not up to it, he just doesn't handle the rise in class to senior footy, we're done".... but thinking about it a few days on - I think I would prefer to see us stick with Honeychurch for at least another game or two so that when it comes time to decide his future - we can do so with a very firm view on where he is at.

11. Likes jeemak, bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'd consider dropping Picken, who has been one of our worst performed this season but escaped criticism.
    Yeah inclined to agree. I was neck deep in the books so missed most of the game, but there was one play where Bont was looking to lead up at the ball, and Picken could do nothing except get in the way. It was just so sad.

I'm beginning to get worried about his contract becoming something of an albatross.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah inclined to agree. I was neck deep in the books so missed most of the game, but there was one play where Bont was looking to lead up at the ball, and Picken could do nothing except get in the way. It was just so sad.

I'm beginning to get worried about his contract becoming something of an albatross.
    Whilst his finals series was amazing I think we were seduced by this in offering a 2yr contract as his performances before & after this period have been poles apart... His form (or lack there of) at present is extremely concerning.

His kicking forward is horrible (bombs away!) and he can't win a contest... Has only kicked 4 goals in his last 10 games which isn't great for a guy who spends most of his time as a high forward.

Needs to lift.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Whilst his finals series was amazing I think we were seduced by this in offering a 2yr contract as his performances before & after this period have been poles apart... His form (or lack there of) at present is extremely concerning.

His kicking forward is horrible (bombs away!) and he can't win a contest... Has only kicked 4 goals in his last 10 games which isn't great for a guy who spends most of his time as a high forward.

Needs to lift.
    Picken seems to have struggled since the concussion in round 3 (or maybe I am just looking for a reason). What has struck me most is how indecisive he has become. It now seems that he has no idea what he should do, when he has the ball and he just holds on until he is under extreme pressure and then turns it over.

Perhaps he needs to go back to doing a tagging job for a few games.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

In Campbell Webb
    Out Jongy Honey

Campbell was an emergency last week and looks to have had another excellent performance hence I'd suggest he plays which gives us flexibility to play Boyd forward and or Roughead back for a period if they are getting ahold of our short defence. If Boyd is forward it also allows Bont more midfield minutes an area we are really struggling, they might be managing his body but its time to play him in the midfield. Zeibell and Cunnington always play well against us and its time to put our best contested ball players in Libba,Bont,Wallis,Dahl and Macrae in the guts for the majority.

The one bit of flexibility I'd really like to see is Webb come in and play anywhere but inside. We are really lacking class atm and Lucas can hit a target so either forward/back flank for mine and challenge him to have moire kicks than handballs.

The big question is will we bring in an extra tall defender and it looks like Coliins would be next inline with Roberts concussed but I'd put the heat on the mids to win the clearances and get back to locking the ball inside

Post Thanks / Like

In: Campbell, Redpath
    Out: Boyd (Calf) Jong (Knee).

No forced changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting... Brown Daw & Waite forward.. Morris, Cordy & Wood.

Does Roughy play back abit? Fletch a late in?

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh. Any chance Boyd could get a decent run at it?

Noting Norf have recalled Majak Daw. That shouldn't be cause for bother, but it is.
    BORDERLINE FLYING