Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - Round 14, 2017 vs North Melbourne

This is the round 14, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 14, 2017 vs North Melbourne

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Good players finding some form: Bonts, Picko
    Fringe players having telling moments: Campbell (owned Goldy), Dale
    Increasing the gap between the two clubs for Hrovat compo

The Matt Suckling Banchor Nomination: Matt Suckling. Some really, really good with some poor. But that's the deal it seems

A

Tory Dickson - Only 2 kicks tonight. 32 team shots and none from him. Shocker.
    The Glove - By his standards, well, that's as bad as I can remember as he's been outstanding for so long
    JJ - If you want to have Odell Beckham hair, you need to perform like him. I think you need a VFL spell.
    Goal Kicking - We literally won in behinds, after scoring less goals than North
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Bont back in form
    Campbell really good game, cleaned up Goldstein.
    Umpires, were good to us

Banchor
    Honeychurch good efforts around the ground but pathetic shots at goal

Anchors
    Our goalkicking coach, if we have one, needs to be replaced.
    Dickson, nil involvement
    Morris, wonderful player but looks slow at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Mclean. He may be slight of build, but he stuck tackles that others are missing. Deserves his midfield place by virtue of effort and commitment.
    2. Bont. Bont. Bont.. Bont.. not a superlative, adjective or verb in the English language to describe what he does, means or encapsulates his importance. So I'll create one..Thankchristingsontabulous.
    3. Hunter..welcome back to game defining relevance.

Anchors
    1. Almost all of the last quarter. Boo.you sucked.
    2. Umpires first half..I've been critical of the umps towelling us up in recent weeks in critical moments. You really sent the needle flying in the other direction tonight and i blushed from embarrassment. North were very hard done by.
    3. Libba...gosh he's got a lot of work to do to get back to where we need him to be....and boy do we need him to get back to where he once belonged... yeah i stole that. So what...

6. Likes merantau, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Super effort from Campbell in the ruck and work around the ground. Two goals as well.

2. Centre Clearances and cont. poss. - back to our best

3. Pressure and tackling -The bont, Macrae, Mclean, etc etc

Anchors

1. 9.10 from set shots - really woeful and should have won this game by miles.

2. Dickson - was no where near the ball, really struggling.

3. Turnovers through bad kicks around the ground
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes GVGjr, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1.) Bont - He is back did a lot good tonight

2.) Picken - Was really good until he got injured

3.) Honeychurch - I really liked his first half did well

Anchors

1.) Our inaccurately kicking

2.) Dickson quiet

3.) Turnovers we made
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't agree about the umpire bashing . Our blokes in the first half dominated contested footy and clearances , and Norf didn't touch the ball . Hence not many frees.Supporters should watch the game and not worry themselves over free kick counts

11. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B
    Higgins: holding the a couple of times and the last kick he had for 3rd quarter going over the time , thank you !

Bonts: he is so agile for a big guy and just glides through traffic and meters gained today was 594 m, just incredible

Campbell : welcome back with 2 goals and good with hit outs and the contests.

Our Maniac run and pressure was there for 3 quarters

Picken : he has invented the new contested mark falling down and taking it with the second grab . 2 good marks which really helped us stay ahead

MAclean : very telling kicks into the 50

A.
    Umpires: what's so special about cunnington that he does not get called holding the ball? The amount of times the umpires missed these one was infuriating.

Rougheads and HC free were polar opposites this sliding into the man rule and head high rule kinda contradict each other. HC Attack the ball and gets pinged for sliding into the mans legs and Roughehad had no room to move yet Norh player bangs his head into Rough knee

Suckinling : 2 turnovers that cost 2 goals just has to do better when gets tackled and the kickin was a shocker. Last kickout to redpath was a beauty , have to give him credit for that . That's suckling I Guess , brilliant with the bad

JJ : had a better game than last week but just had to back himself to burn oppositions off and back his gut running. The clanger in the third was just aweful to watch

Dropping off in the last quarter , who was tagging cunnington ?

Post Thanks / Like

B- Form return of some 2016 stars
    - Campbell , best game I've seen him play . Owned Goldy
    - better team for 3 terms , thought we got our contested footy back
    A- Turnovers killed us again. As well as set shot kicking
    - Dickson is really battling
    - I'll premit something here . The impending officiating whinge

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    1. The 4 blokes involved in the winning point.
    2. Tom Campbell and BJR
    3. Return to form of Bont, Liam, McLean, Wood, Hunter
    Anchors
    1. Dickson unsighted
    2. Set shots
    3. Libba - not the same bloke as before and we need him at the coalface.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

McLean - used his pace to advantage and was good around the ball.
    Bont - clean, direct, influential.. seemed to move with more freedom.. or is it just he likes beating up on Norf?
    Picken - back to what he does best, courageous in the air and worked hard around the ground.

Anchors:

Macrae - so much to like about your game, but your kicking was (is) sub-standard.. high floating kicks to the wrong areas.. if only you kicked like Suckling.. on 2nd thoughts be nothing like him.
    Suckling - it was so much easier when I liked all of our players.
    Redpath - not your fault you turn like an ocean liner, but the free you gave away late was inexcusable.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:

Cordy tackle on the wi g near the dug outs. Didn't quite stick it at first, leapt up for another go and absolutely drilled that Norf malaka.
    Campbell and Bont early long goals.
    Pickens finding a bit of form after being down since the Freo game.

A:
    2nd half grinding to a halt. All square on a lot of front but got outscored. Only just hung on when it should've been an easy win.
    Honeychurch undid his impressive work with misses in front of goal.
    Norf. If Pauline Hanson liked footy she would demand they be removed from the league for holding the normal clubs back.

18. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:

Bontempelli back - his kick to Redpath in the 3rd(?) quarter was the best kick of all time. His ability to weight the footy to put it to only where we can get it from almost any angle is without peer.

Campbell and Honeychurch - their best games ever. Honey's goal kicking notwithstanding.

Picken - if he "got in the way" last week then he "got in the way" of North winning this time. Continues to be a marvel with his versatility, making it that much more infuriating how he was pigeon-holed under the former administration.

A:

North - there are two types of North players; faux-tough guy "veteran leaders" who can't play to their ability because they are too focused on channelling club legend Spud Firitto by doing the "hard stuff" like deck guys after they kick it or smack them in the mouth when they're on the ground (Ziebell, Higgins, Cunnington, Thompson, etc), or absolute spuds whose families I feel sorry for, having to suffer through the embarrassment of watching them play week in week out, and to continually satiate their fragile egos by pretending they're actually AFL players and not just hobbyists who happened to get lucky and somehow drafted (Clarke, Mountford, Swallow, Mullet, Atley, Gibson, Mountford again). There is no in between. There is no reason to like, or even want to see this team. They are awful and I'd wish they just relocate into the NBL or something.

Libba - So maybe he's just not that good anymore?

Redpath - for being the DUMBEST ASS and turning the game by getting sucked in by Scott Thompson's charisma vacuum.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes bornadog, merantau, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the Redpath/Thompson comment about? Unless you are referring to Redpath giving a free kick away to Marley Williams?

Redpath, as always, seems to be an easy target. But he again got his two goals, we looked better going forward with him playing deep, and him marking the suckling kick out and finding Hunter on the wing, was crucial to us winning the game.

22. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post