Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Macrae - and his kicking

Macrae is having another a good season. He has been very consistent for the last 4 years averaging 26 disposals per game.

In my opinion there are two areas holding him back from being classed as elite:

1. He doesn't kick enough goals for a midfielder.

2. His kicking needs to be improved dramatically.

Macrae's disposal efficiency is averaging 73% over his career, but the way he kicks the ball he seems to get under it and the ball floats in the air giving the opposition plenty of time to get to the contest.

Can he improve in this area? I for one am frustrated watching his kicks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macrae - and his kicking

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Macrae is having another a good season. He has been very consistent for the last 4 years averaging 26 disposals per game.

In my opinion there are two areas holding him back from being classed as elite:

1. He doesn't kick enough goals for a midfielder.

2. His kicking needs to be improved dramatically.

Macrae's disposal efficiency is averaging 73% over his career, but the way he kicks the ball he seems to get under it and the ball floats in the air giving the opposition plenty of time to get to the contest.

Can he improve in this area? I for one am frustrated watching his kicks.
    At his height his left foot should be way more penetrating than it is. I'm not sure if you ever add yards to your kicks as you get older. As his body develops and he increases his constitution he should become a more accurate field kick under pressure.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I said it during the gameday thread. He has a 9 iron for a foot, and has no other heavier clubs in the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree BAD, in his defense he does choose the right option most of the time, and unlike a certa1n player who shall rema1n nameless, he knows his limitation and doesn't try and overkick the ball. Since being dropped by Macca around 3 years ago now, Jack hasn't done a lot wrong and will be fighting out the B&F with Lukey D.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Agree BAD, in his defense he does choose the right option most of the time, and unlike a certa1n player who shall rema1n nameless, he knows his limitation and doesn't try and overkick the ball. Since being dropped by Macca around 3 years ago now, Jack hasn't done a lot wrong and will be fighting out the B&F with Lukey D.
    It's alright picking the right option, its another thing having the ball arrive to its destination during the same quarter.

6. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not going to become a more penetrating kick unless he's willing to change his technique - which I can't see him doing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He's not going to become a more penetrating kick unless he's willing to change his technique - which I can't see him doing.
    There is no momentum through the impact zone is there? It's like a golfer who hits 'powder puff' fades... need to swing through the hitting zone, not around it.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay Smith improved his kicking significantly. I still hold out some hope.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I'm good with it. I think having the ball maintained in possession is an underrated quality, and Macrae excels at it.

Do wish he would have a little more killer instinct around goal, but he's hardly on his lonesome there.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what boots he's using but I noticed Jake Stringer is using the Concave boot. This has a moulded rectangular shaped "saucer" on the instep. The manufacturer's claim it increases the contact area on impact and results in greater distance and accuracy.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Honestly I'm good with it. I think having the ball maintained in possession is an underrated quality, and Macrae excels at it.

Do wish he would have a little more killer instinct around goal, but he's hardly on his lonesome there.
    I tend to agree. Wouldn't mind hi adding another 5% to his penetration and the speed of the ball through the air, but he usually hits a target and picks good options.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's aware of the airtime he gives his kicks. Often you will see the player he is kicking to will have to make ground to get to the ball, because Macrae has kicked it away from them knowing how long it will take to get there and not wanting the opposition to be able to get to it
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff