Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 15, 2017 vs West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ok I wasn't watching closely. Countless times previously he's been on his own on the switch and hasn't been used. At times he's looked frustrated by this. I'm glad we went through him more last week, in space is where he does his damage. He works hard up the ground but defensively he's a bit of a liability. I'm a bit worried about JJ, Suckers and Murphy all playing down back, hardly a defensive bone in any of their bodies.
    Bevo made mention of JJ going to Hrovat 'who looked lively' last week and shut him down.

Murph has played some important shut down defensive roles in the past - not sure he'd be first preference today, but he could still do a job.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't mind Suckling at all, not sure what the fuss is about.

That kick to Redpath to eventually set up Stringer, I doubt could have been executed by anyone else.
    No doubt that when Suckling's kicks come off, they are a joy to behold... However the issue is that those kicks are few and far between. What's more is that the are junctured with a hell of a lot of terrible turnovers and bad decisions.

I'm sure that when he was at Hawthorn, he kept it a lot simpler. Since coming to us on decent coin with big wraps in his kicking, I feel that he's tried to do too much. He needs to look after the pennies and let the pounds take care of themselves. Not push it so much.

For every good kick, he seems to have 2-3 bad ones - one of which invariably costs us. He's also not the most physical defender I've seen. Put all of that together and he's difficult to really warm to as a player.

3. Likes Mantis, Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    No doubt that when Suckling's kicks come off, they are a joy to behold... However the issue is that those kicks are few and far between. What's more is that the are junctured with a hell of a lot of terrible turnovers and bad decisions.

I'm sure that when he was at Hawthorn, he kept it a lot simpler. Since coming to us on decent coin with big wraps in his kicking, I feel that he's tried to do too much. He needs to look after the pennies and let the pounds take care of themselves. Not push it so much.

For every good kick, he seems to have 2-3 bad ones - one of which invariably costs us. He's also not the most physical defender I've seen. Put all of that together and he's difficult to really warm to as a player.
    Webby, perceived turnovers. Supporters see a few clangers here and there and because they don't like the player they label them. Statistics don't match what you or they say. eg v North, 3 clangers.

Suckling won't be dropped this week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Webby, perceived turnovers. Supporters see a few clangers here and there and because they don't like the player they label them. Statistics don't match what you or they say. eg v North, 3 clangers.

How are turnovers perceived when they are real?

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And he gets caught with the ball at least once a game. Holds onto it just that bit too long and takes a long time to go through his kicking motion.

Post Thanks / Like

There is turnovers, and then there are diabolical turnovers. Unfortunately the Pig has a tendency toward the diabolical ones.

From Saturday - the two that I remember, is first when he was tackled and threw out a panic handball which north took away and goaled from. Then he had that in-between/nothing sort of a kick from deep defence which was turned over and went back over his head.

Post Thanks / Like

Not calling for him to be dropped. Also don't necessarily think stats can bear out slow decision making, lack of vision nor the dangerous positions in which 'clangers' are made. It's a pure observation thing born out of watching the side every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    There is turnovers, and then there are diabolical turnovers. Unfortunately the Pig has a tendency toward the diabolical ones.

From Saturday - the two that I remember, is first when he was tackled and threw out a panic handball which north took away and goaled from. Then he had that in-between/nothing sort of a kick from deep defence which was turned over and went back over his head.
    If you're talking about the kick where Morris miss-judged the flight - and hit the contest too hard instead of staying back - in the centre of the ground then I'm not sure that can be put on Suckling.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How are turnovers perceived when they are real?
    He is not the only one that turns over the ball, but I don't read posters wanting those players dropped.

I think I will trust Bevo on this one. If he plays badly, Bevo will drop him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The in the mix article suggesting Collins, Hamilton and Smith possibles due to their recent performances.

Not sure if that is just to give them some confidence or what. Has anyone seen Collins play the last couple of weeks where he has got best on ground performances?

He was pretty ordinary last year, looked slow and poor skilled. Interesting to hear if he has improved this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    The in the mix article suggesting Collins, Hamilton and Smith possibles due to their recent performances.

Not sure if that is just to give them some confidence or what. Has anyone seen Collins play the last couple of weeks where he has got best on ground performances?

He was pretty ordinary last year, looked slow and poor skilled. Interesting to hear if he has improved this year.
    Hamilton picked up 27 disposals so you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they do go tall, playing 3 average talls will work to our advantage I reckon.

Eagles weigh up three-tower setup for Dogs

WEST Coast is tossing up whether to call on ruckman Scott Lycett for his long-awaited comeback game, with coach Adam Simpson weighing the benefits of trying to expose the Western Bulldogs for height.

Lycett hasn't played AFL since last year's elimination final loss to the Dogs due to a PCL reconstruction followed by shoulder surgery in March, which compounded the absence of star Nic Naitanui.

But after three games back for East Perth, the 203cm big man is under serious consideration to partner recruit Nathan Vardy in the ruck for the first time in Saturday's important clash at Etihad Stadium.

With veteran Drew Petrie certain to hold his spot after booting four goals in the gripping loss to Melbourne last round, the Eagles could take a tall side into the Dogs clash.

"That's always a question you ask when you're playing a team like the Bulldogs, do you try to expose your height or is it going to expose you?" Simpson said.

"They're still a pretty quick, elusive side that playing a taller side against them can be an asset or it can be a real hindrance.

"Drew's playing Josh Kennedy's role at the moment, so I think you can actually handle that (playing all three) with what we're doing.

"Once we get (Lycett) back in, I'd like to try and keep him in. I don't want to rush him back."

Simpson declared West Coast would make multiple changes from the side that went down in a heartstopper to the Dees.

Skipper Shannon Hurn (concussion/hamstring) will miss the trip east, while defender Sharrod Wellingham and potential debutant Luke Partington are traveling with the squad.

"He's very close," Simpson said of Partington. "He's done a lot right. He had 28 touches and kicked four (goals at East Perth) on the weekend and a couple of weeks ago had similar numbers, so he's ready.

"He knows how to kick a goal, he's not a big fella, but he's got that one trait that’s very hard to teach, which is natural ball-winning ability."

Post Thanks / Like

Priddis also allegedly not on the plane. We are getting them at a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it hard to understand why he isn't played at half forward. In an ordinary forward line he is capable of snagging a goal or two.
    His erratic kicking into attack isn't a great help most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

He is not the only one that turns over the ball, but I don't read posters wanting those players dropped.

I think I will trust Bevo on this one. If he plays badly, Bevo will drop him.
    I guess the point with Suckling is that his only real asset is his kicking so if that is off, his other parts of the game (defensive game, hard ball wins, etc.) don't make up the difference.

Anyway he will play this week, hope he goes well.