Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

We’re not suffering a premiership hangover: Murphy

Western Bulldogs captain Robert Murphy has dispelled suggestions that his side are in the midst of a premiership hangover, believing midfielder Tom Liberatore and other dropped premiership players this season are merely suffering a temporary form dip.

Liberatore played for the club’s VFL side over the weekend after a disappointing season in the AFL so far, with seven other players who took to the field in the Dogs’ historic Grand Final victory last year also spending time with Footscray so far this season.

While Murphy believes it is entirely possible that the 2016 premiership may have had various effects on different players across the club, he stopped short of believing Liberatore’s form is symptomatic of a premiership hangover.

“A lot of sides will say we’ve got great depth, we hang our hat on that, that we don’t have any great stars but our list runs pretty deep,” he said on SEN Breakfast’s The Wednesday Crunch.

“I’m not so surprised that we have whipped through a few changes.
    “We’re still really young. We have guys who are really old, but our list is actually really young.

“A guy like Libba, he’s gone through a flat patch. I’m don’t necessarily buy in to ‘oh that’s because of last year.”

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge suggested on SEN’s Crunch Tme on Saturday that the on-baller may not have entered the season with an AFL-standard physical condition - a view that the Dogs skipper doesn’t necessarily agree with.

“That caught me by surprise,” Murphy said.
    “He may not have come back in absolute tip-top nick but I would have thought he was fit enough.”

Murphy believes that the Dogs’ best football is still amongst the best in the competition, as exemplified by the club’s stirring six goal to one third quarter against the Cats, but says that they need to find ways to play to that high intensity for longer periods if they are to win more games.

‘It was probably our best footy for the year, the third quarter. I was really excited about the last quarter that we could get over the top of them. I was really flat after the game because of that three-quarter time thought.

“It left us just as quickly. That’s the really disappointing bit, the last quarter the Cats were too good.

“I still think we’re one of the best sides in the comp. We show up every week and whilst we have little patches, we play it out and we go right to the line.

“Our best is as good as anyone’s, but there is also that we are built with that inherent awareness that we 5-4 and we need to start winning more games.”

link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: We’re not suffering a premiership hangover: Murphy

Can't really disagree with what Bob has stated.. At our best we are even across the ground, and we play harder for longer.. We aren't quite there yet, but it isn't far away.

If Stringer & Roughy return this week we will probably field our strongest team of the year (probably only missing Libba), would be expecting a performance that fits.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Can't really disagree with what Bob has stated.. At our best we are even across the ground, and we play harder for longer.. We aren't quite there yet, but it isn't far away.

If Stringer & Roughy return this week we will probably field our strongest team of the year (probably only missing Libba), would be expecting a performance that fits.
    Spot on Mantis,
    I reckon Libba's demotion has been over-scrutinized to death. Media and their followers seem intent on finding something external, lack of commitment, etc. I hope his scintillating form returns soon and he's back where he belongs.

To compensate for where Libba (and some others!) are, I'm impressed by the guts Jongy has added to his game, Caleb's return of his silk department skills and nous and Bailey Dale's smart contributions lately.

5. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Insufficient intent
    Gold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Insufficient intent
    Gold
    Jeez Remi, Iron Pyrite at best!

Close losses when you've done well for some of the game always grate, because you've missed the precious four points. Scrutiny always follows, seeking the causes.

As Mantis stated "We aren't quite there yet, but it isn't far away."

Hopefully, a glass-half-full attitude can help!

Go Dogs.

8. Likes Twodogs, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently according to talk back radio we weren't all that good last year anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insufficient Intent View Post
    Spot on Mantis,
    I reckon Libba's demotion has been over-scrutinized to death. Media and their followers seem intent on finding something external, lack of commitment, etc. I hope his scintillating form returns soon and he's back where he belongs.

To compensate for where Libba (and some others!) are, I'm impressed by the guts Jongy has added to his game, Caleb's return of his silk department skills and nous and Bailey Dale's smart contributions lately.

That's a great user name.

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgirl16 View Post
    Apparently according to talk back radio we weren't all that good last year anyway
    So if we weren't that good but we won the flag then that must mean that there were 17 worse teams than us, yeah? Might be an idea to worry about them in the first place. We can look after ourselves.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

yep... hope we are just as bad this year! I would enjoy another Sept like 2016