Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3 Things I've learned round 10 vs the Saints

Let's hear 3 new things you have learned from todays game vs the Saints.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Things I've learned round 10 vs the Saints

1. I've never seen an 18yo 205cm player look that comfortable in his first game. Not a huge game, but seems equal to the challenge.
    2. Goal kicking was improved & good, 12.8 (two posters) except for bloody Bonts 1.4 to 13.12.
    3. Bailey Dale has shown the match committee they were right to give him some continuous games.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bont's goal kicking (accuracy) has been an issue but now it's becoming quite concerning
    2. If the game today is what we can expect to see from Dale in the future then I'm excited already. Showed some strength to shrug some tackles., looked composed in a way few bar Daniel and Bontempelli do with the ball and showed his ability to kick opportunist goals.
    3. Hunter needs to play VFL for a bit and hopefully while there he'll learn to use his right boot. If Macrae can do it no reason he can't too.

EDIT: Looking at the Match Committee thread it seems Hunter did quite a good job today on Steven which I wasn't aware of. So i learned that too.

Nevertheless I still don't like to see him messing up simple opportunities for goals because he can't/won't kick it on his right.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that Hunter played a solid shut down role on Steven.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Well, I learnt that Hunter can play a run with role. Big tick to Bevo and the other coaches, to identify that Hunter has been getting opposition attention and not playing well as a result, and give him a role himself.

2. The Package is officially back. Having a very good season, and this week was his best performance yet.

3. Bailey Dale might just be a best 22 player well before I thought he could get there.

6. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for saving me the time Ozza.

The only addition would be that when we play a solid and disciplined defensive team game we are bloody hard to score against and it covers our inefficient forward movement.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Thanks for saving me the time Ozza.

The only addition would be that when we play a solid and disciplined defensive team game we are bloody hard to score against and it covers our inefficient forward movement.
    Agree with your comment on the defensive team game. We set up the ground exceptionally well and closed down the Saints outlets out of their D50 after quarter time. Some (not all, but some!) of the comedy of errors going inside 50 for us, can be explained by the congestion after we created the Saints turnovers.

Post Thanks / Like

Adams is a gun. We forget he's in his second year of AFL. I can forgive the odd brain fade for for what he is doing on the best forward every week. He is playing on some gun player

Dale is a smooth mover. His expression doesn't change he is pretty casual out there which says to me he could become a very good player. Bit earlier than I was thinking

our goal kicking has a serious flaw. They all seem to lean back and kick a little casual. It's like golf you must keep your head down and eyes fixed on the ball. The second you take your focus off the ball your not striking it straight

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Goal kicking is as simple as taking your normal kicking run up, holding the ball reasonably still, relaxing and leaning over it to the extent you feel like your knee on the kicking leg is getting really close to your forehead. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

Our malaise in this area is completely between the ears, our players just don't pay enough attention to detail when taking set shots. It's incredibly frustrating.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Adams is a gun. We forget he's in his second year of AFL. I can forgive the odd brain fade for for what he is doing on the best forward every week. He is playing on some gun player

Dale is a smooth mover. His expression doesn't change he is pretty casual out there which says to me he could become a very good player. Bit earlier than I was thinking

our goal kicking has a serious flaw. They all seem to lean back and kick a little casual. It's like golf you must keep your head down and eyes fixed on the ball. The second you take your focus off the ball your not striking it straight
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Goal kicking is as simple as taking your normal kicking run up, holding the ball reasonably still, relaxing and leaning over it to the extent you feel like your knee on the kicking leg is getting really close to your forehead. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

Our malaise in this area is completely between the ears, our players just don't pay enough attention to detail when taking set shots. It's incredibly frustrating.

Thanks guys. I've been banging on about this for *!*!*!*!ing years now. Goalkicking technique is simple to fix. All you have to reme,ber is three or four things and you empty your mind of everything else. I always say that if you gave me 15 minutes with each player and a football I could improve their goal kicking significantly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

1. It's a good feeling to be dominated in a number of key metrics, but win fairly comfortably. Reminded me of some of the darker years in 2012-14 where we could smash a team in a number of stats, but get flogged.

2. Dahl will benefit from a week off more than anyone. He's such a warrior, but he looks tired and sore.

3. English isn't ready to work yet, but he's got tools - a lot of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    2. Dahl will benefit from a week off more than anyone. He's such a warrior, but he looks tired and sore.
    He runs himself into the ground. A few times I watched him and he was completely stuffed, hands on hips and taking huge breaths.

What a little terrier he is, so underrated.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Max469, chef, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I don't know if it's the Dale Morris factor but our defence was bulletproof again like last year.
    2. Caleb Daniel might be still growing. How he spoiled a 198cm Carlisle mark is a mystery.
    3. St Kilda without the diver Riewoldt don't scare me.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He runs himself into the ground. A few times I watched him and he was completely stuffed, hands on hips and taking huge breaths.

What a little terrier he is, so underrated.
    If I have one criticism is that he seems to be going to ground too easily. Whilst he has a great ability to regain his feet quickly, there were several instances where he competed for the ball up forward against a couple of opponents but immediately went to ground and was unable to lock it in. Perhaps fatigue is the reason.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    1. I don't know if it's the Dale Morris factor but our defence was bulletproof again like last year.
    2. Caleb Daniel might be still growing. How he spoiled a 198cm Carlisle mark is a mystery.
    3. St Kilda without the diver Riewoldt don't scare me.
    They are developing a decent team of onballers and small forwards though. I think this version of the StKilda football club will be much better than the previous ones that featured Rievoldt because they are more even and it's harder to spot a weakness to exploit. I think the fact McCartin isn't quite as good as they thought he was going to be has forced them to reassess their forward line and it looks even more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    If I have one criticism is that he seems to be going to ground too easily. Whilst he has a great ability to regain his feet quickly, there were several instances where he competed for the ball up forward against a couple of opponents but immediately went to ground and was unable to lock it in. Perhaps fatigue is the reason.
    I only noticed him go to ground once where I thought it was a problem. He did look knackered though.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.