Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Article 32: Team of The Century: Defence

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    You've left out Gilbee, possibly the best kick in AFL history and a great defender in the air for his height, and included two third talls. That's fine if you're selecting on merit, but I don't think you could call it a team balance decision

Ultimately with a third tall you want them to be able to defend against talls when needed, but also make them accountable through their own attack. If they don't bring the attack, you may as well play another tall. Hargrave did, Wood struggles to

With Brian Lake in the side, up there with Rance, McGovern and Wood as the greatest intercept markers ever, Wood's intercept marking ability becomes less valuable, and even more so if another tall aside from Morris gets in e.g. Adams, who is a great intercept marker himself. Intercept marking is Wood's point of difference, to put him in the side I think you really need to drive home the value of this attribute in cutting off opposition attacks and turning them into attacks of your own, because Hargrave has him covered when it comes to his work with ball in hand
    Well said you've almost convinced me. Given there is more value placed on intercept marking now than 15 years ago (more man on man back then) I wonder if Shaggy could have developed his ability to do it well. I can't really remember how good a mark he was. Whenever I cast my mind back to him all I can remember is him knocking out Simon Black at quarter time at Etihad.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great discussion, thanks guys and gals. It seems we have some consensus for 5 of the 6 spots:

B: Murphy Lake Morris
    HB: Smith **** Gilbee

That's a very, very handy defence, with a heap of different attributes.

So we're now between Hargrave & Wood for the CHB spot. There seems to be a genuine split, so to everyone who wants to give input of this, who should we go with is this head to head contest and why?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

There is no competition between Wood and Shaggy and I think that's been detailed above. The only constraint is Wood hasn't played as many games as Shaggy so hasn't got the job done for as long, but the prerequisite is 100+ games and Wood meets that criteria. Wood in Shaggy out if it's between these two. Wood has him covered in every other stat / attribute and award.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 04-06-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have we had any players called Harwood or Woodgrave? Maybe we could compromise and stick them in?

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    There is no competition between Wood and Shaggy and I think that's been detailed above. The only constraint is Wood hasn't played as many games as Shaggy so hasn't got the job done for as long, but the prerequisite is 100+ games and Wood meets that criteria. Wood in Shaggy out if it's between these two. Wood has him covered in every other stat / attribute and award.
    You could also argue that Shaggy was much more durable than Wood. Hargrave would have averaged more games each season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You could also argue that Shaggy was much more durable than Wood. Hargrave would have averaged more games each season.
    Wood has been very reliable in this area post-hamstring issues. Kudos to conditioning staff for sorting it out.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Arguments in favour of Hargrave in the thread are his height, and therefore his ability to play on the third tall types, and his kicking skills, plus a bit of mongrel (which is always good).

Wood seems to have support for intercept marking, overall game and leadership.

I wonder if the debate is necessarily between the two players, or an ideological concept of how you pick the TOOC as to just the best players or most appropriate balance of players?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Arguments in favour of Hargrave in the thread are his height, and therefore his ability to play on the third tall types, and his kicking skills, plus a bit of mongrel (which is always good).

Wood seems to have support for intercept marking, overall game and leadership.

I wonder if the debate is necessarily between the two players, or an ideological concept of how you pick the TOOC as to just the best players or most appropriate balance of players?

I was wondering about that myself. Should we pick the flat out best six defenders we've had or a balanced ready to walk out on the ground two talls/third tall and three medium/small defenders back six?

Post Thanks / Like

Wood has been very reliable in this area post-hamstring issues. Kudos to conditioning staff for sorting it out.

Yeah true. We gambled almost exclusively on him providing the leadership we needed last year after Murph went down and he didn't let us down. He came back from injury earlier than originally predicted for the finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was wondering about that myself. Should we pick the flat out best six defenders we've had or a balanced ready to walk out on the ground two talls/third tall and three medium/small defenders back six?
    I think it's an individual choice. Personally, I'm weighing up best and best group of defenders. I want three who can play tall, two great flankers and flexible type. But if there's too good a defender to miss, I'm happy to re-evaluate it. But they've got to hold their place as the best so far first and foremost. But it's interesting to see the reasoning of detailed posts as to how we are looking at it.

I'm still tending to Wood over Shaggy, but we go in a little small (albeit 17% of the way in).

Post Thanks / Like

Wood has him covered in every other stat / attribute and award.
    Hargrave is marginally ahead stats wise over their careers

So we're now between Hargrave & Wood for the CHB spot. There seems to be a genuine split, so to everyone who wants to give input of this, who should we go with is this head to head contest and why?
    I think there were more posters arguing for Wood than Hargrave
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

15. Thanks bulldogtragic, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the stat sheet, they're very close in deed including playing weight & height. A part from an extra two kicks a game, they're nearly identical in the key areas for a defender (handballs, marks, tackles).

In an aside, getting these two blokes at pick 66 & pick 43 is great going.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about this the more I am confident it is a no contest.

Easton Wood is a much better player than Hargrave ever was. This isn't to say Shaggy was no good, quite the contrary really, but Wood is awesome.

Hargraves strengths seem to be played up as the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    whilst Hargrave was a little taller and known for getting spoils in yet also known for giving away free kicks when undersized. Hargrave was the much better attacking player, comfortable running up the wings with long, accurate kicking. Hargrave's skills were far superior, whilst Wood's kicking is sufficient he tends to go long whilst Hargrave was more damaging and able to pinpoint targets
    Breaking these down I think they fall as follows:
    "Shaggy is known for getting spoils in": Wood wins this one. As good at spoiling he was Wood is elite at both marking and spoiling.
    "Hargrave was the much better attacking player, comfortable running up the wings with long, accurate kicking.": Yeah maybe, although I think he tended to just kick it long so would omit the accurate portion of this statement. Honestly I think when Wood goes on his runs he is fairly similar, but I think Hargrave tended to do it more and without checking the stats kicked more goals. In Woods defence he is often the one starting the counter attack which makes it harder to receive the ball up the ground. Still Shaggy gets this one, but I think it's marginal.
    "Hargraves skills were superior": Again Wood is not a bad kick and Hargrave didn't have Gilbees leg so I don't think the difference is that pronounced. Shaggy wins this marginally.
    "Hargraves height": Not sure you can claim this as a strength when it is continually pointed out he struggled against tall forwards and was better on players his size or smaller. Wood has proven capable of playing on all but the biggest forwards. Hargrave was better on the small forwards (like Milne) however.
    "Ability to play on third talls": Wood is AA at this and absolutely elite. Hargrave doesn't come close to Wood on this point.
    "Mongrel": Hargrave was keener to hurt than Wood is, but Wood has never shirked a contest or failed to fly the flag so this is marginal at best if it should even be considered.
    "Hargrave is more durable": Not sure this matters or is relevant.

Personally I think Hargraves biggest strengths were his one on one ability and capability of being an attacking outlet while still locking down a very good player.

Woods strengths are his one on one ability in any situation and ability to dominate the air.

Wood is also a top 50 player in the league and absolutely elite, as good as Hargrave was I'm not sure he has ever been either of those two things.

So far the consensus has us picking 5 defenders with 3 small-mid types, 1 lockdown type for all sizes and 1 key defender. Hargrave is another small-mid type, Wood is a versatile type who can play off the bigger guys. Shaggy's marginally better attacking ability is not very important in a defence that boasts Gilbee, Bubba and Murphy, while Woods ability to play taller and outmark key forwards surely gets him the 6th spot on team balance grounds.

I see no way Easton Wood can miss out for Ryan Hargrave in this team.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

18. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we are picking a CHB for team of the century, well we don't really have one in the traditional sense.

Having said that, our current team plays without one. If we are talking about playing a team in today's footy environment, with Bevo as the coach then I guess Wood would get the nod, as he has the ability to compete in the air against a taller opponent.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Soupa and others. Not many footy forums have this quality of thinking, analytical assessment and discussion.

I'm still with my opening assessment of:

B: Murphy Lake Morris
    HB: Smith Wood Gilbee

Games Played for the Western Bulldogs: 1,357 and counting.

Intuitively it still feels a little small, and Hargrave was a good player and great servant. But luckily we have 83 years to try to find another gun KPD over 195cm.