Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If J.J. decides to leave how do we deal

You blokes might be overlooking Murph a bit there
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    You blokes might be overlooking Murph a bit there
    Not in the context of what I was talking about. Murph is universally respected, and admired for sure and will go down as one of our all time greats. And that's apart from his influence within the club's four walls as a catalyst for uniting all age and social groups together as one.

But in terms of leverage as an identifiable icon for young kids to aspire to support the club, its no contest. Bontempelli is unlike any Bulldog great in my life time. We've probably only had one or two others in our history who are in that group.
    It's not a slight on Murph at all. Few players in the league, let alone our club, have the sort of marketable capital that Bont has.

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Not in the context of what I was talking about. Murph is universally respected, and admired for sure and will go down as one of our all time greats. And that's apart from his influence within the club's four walls as a catalyst for uniting all age and social groups together as one.

But in terms of leverage as an identifiable icon for young kids to aspire to support the club, its no contest. Bontempelli is unlike any Bulldog great in my life time. We've probably only had one or two others in our history who are in that group.
    It's not a slight on Murph at all. Few players in the league, let alone our club, have the sort of marketable capital that Bont has.
    I agree. I don't say that the Bont is better than KT lightly. Templeton is the second best player I've seen play the game fullstop. Only the Bont is better.

Bontompelli is in Whitten territory and Whitten was the best player of all time.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I agree. I don't say that the Bont is better than KT lightly. Templeton is the second best player I've seen play the game fullstop. Only the Bont is better.

Bontompelli is in Whitten territory and Whitten was the best player of all time.
    I find it incredible that Bont is just 4 seasons in and is legitimately at worst a 50-50 shot of being our best player of all time.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I find it incredible that Bont is just 4 seasons in and is legitimately at worst a 50-50 shot of being our best player of all time.
    Worryingly he'd be the same player anywhere. It's not a club specific cult of personality unfortunately.

Yet.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Worryingly he'd be the same player anywhere. It's not a club specific cult of personality unfortunately.

Yet.
    Yep which is why if we let him get to his final year of contract without being signed up his contract hype will make that of Fyfe's or Dusty's seem tiny.
    His manager may in fact want to engineer this exact scenario to ensure a bonanza pay day. I hope we are well attuned for that circumstance and are able to budget accordingly.