Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If J.J. decides to leave how do we deal

I read in the little paper today that he's not going anywhere. Not sure if I've heard it's a done deal.

How much cap space does St Kilda have I wonder? They seem to be chasing some big names.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The thread needs to be changed to:

If JJ decides to stay what do we do?

He's been worked out and has been utterly ineffective. If he can't work it out, then he's a hugely paid liability on a long term contract...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't look very fit, so it's not likely he'd be able to run his way out of his malaise. I actually looked at him today and thought he looked like he was carrying way too much bulk.

Like many players, he needs to work his arse off over summer to maintain a career.

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He doesn't look very fit, so it's not likely he'd be able to run his way out of his malaise. I actually looked at him today and thought he looked like he was carrying way too much bulk.

Like many players, he needs to work his arse off over summer to maintain a career.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Our fitness looks suspect. It's an imperative given we rely on maintaining possession and both denying opposition time and space to provide our poor conversion on goal enough opportunities to eventually prevail.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's the white jumpers but I noticed that too..
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably for another thread, but there's a really good reason we seem out of position so often when we don't have it.

Post Thanks / Like

I take your point. But with every week a lot of people must be thinking perhaps he's not worth say $700,000 over 4 years. The risk of big bucks and many years has to be making even the club question it. If he wasn't a Norm Smith and fan favourite, and in the form he's been in this year, particularly since the bye, would we be begging him to stay with the largish money and many years we're offering, and allegedly increasing our offer again? I mean he's delivering very little and contract time. In most cases, that sets you backwards not forwards. That's meant to be the risk for players holding out, sure if you do well you get more money, but if you stink it up you lose out somewhat. If there's no risk to players holding out, then they should all hold out.

Secondary is if we retain his services, how confident are we that he's going to turn around this? If nuff buffs like Hewitt & Melksham can carve him up, and it's now a thing that will get done every week, it's now a greater risk to give him say the $700,000 over 3 or 4 years.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I take your point. But with every week a lot of people must be thinking perhaps he's not worth say $700,000 over 4 years. The risk of big bucks and many years has to be making even the club question it. If he wasn't a Norm Smith and fan favourite, and in the form he's been in this year, particularly since the bye, would we be begging him to stay with the largish money and many years we're offering, and allegedly increasing our offer again? I mean he's delivering very little and contract time. In most cases, that sets you backwards not forwards. That's meant to be the risk for players holding out, sure if you do well you get more money, but if you stink it up you lose out somewhat. If there's no risk to players holding out, then they should all hold out.

Secondary is if we retain his services, how confident are we that he's going to turn around this? If nuff buffs like Hewitt & Melksham can carve him up, and it's now a thing that will get done every week, it's now a greater risk to give him say the $700,000 over 3 or 4 years.
    Well then do we return serve and say if Freo or Essendon or West Coast are willing to part with overs and we can obtain that which we think we more readily need than what JJ gives us then do we say 'Goodbye JJ'?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Well then do we return serve and say if Freo or Essendon or West Coast are willing to part with overs and we can obtain that which we think we more readily need than what JJ gives us then do we say 'Goodbye JJ'?
    That's a really good question now. I'm not sure I have a sold answer yet, but it's now a very genuine question for JMac.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really good question now. I'm not sure I have a sold answer yet, but it's now a very genuine question for JMac.
    And tonight doesn't necessarily paint a clearer picture of how to proceed either. Yes Lever was great, but how much did we contribute to that?

Maybe Lever's success tonight highlights more how we are in trouble in our midfield than it does our problems in defense.

So for me.. going forward questions that need to inform our dealings come season end...
    1. Is Libba prepared or able to do what is required to be the multi-contest 4 Qtr beast that he was previously? He is our biggest problem for mine. His performance dictates so much towards or stoppage control that our 2016 game was predicated on. If we want this type of game to be our objective then a fully committed and fit Libba is imperative

2. Is Natural improvement alone going to address our inability to convert our scoring chances,

3. Do we believe intrinsically that effort and immense workrate and pressure is the basis for a competitive and sustainable advantage above that of skill and execution?

Post Thanks / Like

No BT, we hold our ground as we have been doing.

We are offering a contract to JJ based on what we know about his attitude and ability to prepare, alongside the level we know he can produce.

It seems he can't be trusted (unless I'm not aware of other circumstances - which is entirely possible) to present at the appropriate level post some good times, or he can't work out a way to be effective under scrutiny. As a result we're presenting the contract terms he deserves.

If another club wants to present higher terms we'll be compensated well and we can be done with him.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ is a keeper for mine - his pace and ability to run and carry are precious assets for us, and I'd rather work with someone on handling the extra attention than throw the baby out with the bathwater after a few lean weeks.

But on our terms, not JJ's manager.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    And tonight doesn't necessarily paint a clearer picture of how to proceed either. Yes Lever was great, but how much did we contribute to that?

Maybe Lever's success tonight highlights more how we are in trouble in our midfield than it does our problems in defense.

So for me.. going forward questions that need to inform our dealings come season end...
    1. Is Libba prepared or able to do what is required to be the multi-contest 4 Qtr beast that he was previously? He is our biggest problem for mine. His performance dictates so much towards or stoppage control that our 2016 game was predicated on. If we want this type of game to be our objective then a fully committed and fit Libba is imperative

2. Is Natural improvement alone going to address our inability to convert our scoring chances,

3. Do we believe intrinsically that effort and immense workrate and pressure is the basis for a competitive and sustainable advantage above that of skill and execution?
    Interesting question. I see the answer as no to this as it was us in 2016 who showed All other teams that bringing effort and immense work rate can bring with it seemingly unexpected rewards. I see that others are now bringing this effort more often than not against us. Similarly, our other weapon last season having elite hands around the stoppages has been copied by All others and further our competitive advantage here also nullified.

Unfortunately it is now our skill and execution which is being shown up when All others apply to us what we were so successful in applying to them last season.

So in this latest era, immense effort becomes a non negotiable, not a competitive advantage.

Elite level skills and its execution, and a game plan that exposes the competition are the areas for competitive advantage.

15. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No BT, we hold our ground as we have been doing.

We are offering a contract to JJ based on what we know about his attitude and ability to prepare, alongside the level we know he can produce.

It seems he can't be trusted (unless I'm not aware of other circumstances - which is entirely possible) to present at the appropriate level post some good times, or he can't work out a way to be effective under scrutiny. As a result we're presenting the contract terms he deserves.

If another club wants to present higher terms we'll be compensated well and we can be done with him.
    I think it will be an interesting space. As an aside, why hasn't he been tried on the wing or up forward? A quick forward is something we've been wanting.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be an interesting space. As an aside, why hasn't he been tried on the wing or up forward? A quick forward is something we've been wanting.
    I think that's because he's a limited player.

No matter where we put him the cat is out of the bag and the same treatment will produce the same result. What attributes has he shown that he is able to work out of his current situation? He's not strong overhead, not a massive tackling or grinding player and he's not a lead up worker.

There's a reason he was a rookie listed development type.

He has a significant amount of work to do as a player now, he needs to become fitter and stronger whilst working on every element of his game.