Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If J.J. decides to leave how do we deal

At the start of the year i never considered it a possibility he was going to leave. As the year progresses i am less certain.

Should it come to pass that other offers are too attractive for him to pass up, how do we progress so that we get a fair outcome? What is a fair outcome?

He has a skill set that is hard to replace and one that should be highly valued to any suitors.

What leverage do we have to ensure we don't end up over a barrel like we were with Hamling's trade?

If push comes to shove and we are offered a poor deal by say a mid to high ladder finishing West Coast or even Freo, would be put pressure on all parties by threatening to let him go in the preseason draft?

As a reigning Norm Smith medallist and in his footballing prime he surely must be worth a top ten pick at the very least.
    The problem is a top ten pick still doesn't compensate us for what we lose in terms of his importance to us on the field.
    Interested in how folks here would frame a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If J.J. decides to leave how do we deal

I'm pretty confident he's staying, despite him having a manager who appears out of his depth.

That said, I'd target a very good player in a straight swap (plus a pick if it's a good, but lesser player) on their list or target another good player elsewhere (ie Josh Kelly) and look for a three way trade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

First rounder and Duggan/Crozier
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be targeting Zac Jones in a three way trade.

He is as quick as JJ, and breaks the lines in a similar fashion. Good kick, powerful build and tough, and unlike JJ plays more midfield which suits us as ours is a touch slow.

I'd imagine from our pov it would effectively be JJ for Jones, I don't think there is enough of a difference in value to require draft picks.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jones is not as explosive I don't think. Both attacking but I think you'd need to weigh up JJ's goal kicking ability over Jones' hardness.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep hearing Essendon are the main suitor at this stage - how about Hooker and their 1st round draft pick?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Jones is not as explosive I don't think. Both attacking but I think you'd need to weigh up JJ's goal kicking ability over Jones' hardness.
    Jones is pretty explosive. I don't think he'd be much different to jjs pace. He has also kicked 5 goals this year. He isn't like for like but he would be a good get and would bring similiar things to the team.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Keep hearing Essendon are the main suitor at this stage - how about Hooker and their 1st round draft pick?
    Hooker is on $800k per year for five years. Are you happy for us to pick this up? I'm not.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Where are the Bombers getting all of this coin from? Aren't they about to sign Daniher to a $2m deal?...and we all have suspicions as to how much Hurley cost

Post Thanks / Like

Is 'kick the dog' an acceptable answer?

*apologies to dogs everywhere*

I don't even want to fathom this. He's one of us. Pay the lad. Sign the lad!
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'd be targeting Zac Jones in a three way trade.

He is as quick as JJ, and breaks the lines in a similar fashion. Good kick, powerful build and tough, and unlike JJ plays more midfield which suits us as ours is a touch slow.

I'd imagine from our pov it would effectively be JJ for Jones, I don't think there is enough of a difference in value to require draft picks.
    Would consider Jones and a second round draft pick. You're comparing a Jones with a Norm Smith medallist FFS.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Where are the Bombers getting all of this coin from? Aren't they about to sign Daniher to a $2m deal?...and we all have suspicions as to how much Hurley cost
    $2M over 3 years for Daniher. Given the new salary cap....he's signed on for a bargain for Essendon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    First rounder and Duggan/Crozier
    If West Coast, I'd like to include Tom Barrass in the discussion.

15. Likes N/A, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Is 'kick the dog' an acceptable answer?

*apologies to dogs everywhere*

I don't even want to fathom this. He's one of us. Pay the lad. Sign the lad!
    Agree, 'Pay zat man heez monay'.

Post Thanks / Like

We can't just pay every player what they want.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.