Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If J.J. decides to leave how do we deal

Yes we can we call them "Ambassadors" for Visy, Cotton On etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm normally someone who really wants us to fight to maintain players with potential upside and as good as JJ has been I think he can still become and even better footballer. That being said, I just think we need to see how this plays out and if he doesn't want to be at the club because another club is willing to pay him more then I'm sort of OK with him going. We know our club will put together the best offer they can in a responsible manner and if he is asking too much then so be it.

I can recall a level of panic on here when the Crameri deal was being played out, many were concerned we would overpay and get ripped off but in the end we got the player we wanted and kept our Bontempelli pick. To that end I have confidence that we will handle this well.

I would look for a first round pick as compensation and depending on the other club a potential 2nd round upgrade might not be out of the question. We might even consider a Shane Biggs type player that is struggling to get a game but we have a specific role for but a first round pick is my preferred option.

If JJ walks away from what will be a substantial offer then we will be cashed up and become a serious Free Agent player that will test the theory if we are now becoming a destination club.

JJ has a unique set of skills that sets him apart from most other players so we should do everything we can but if doesn't want to buy in then we move on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember how much fun it was trying to vacate our defensive-fifty with the ball last year while JJ was sidelined?

By all means negotiate sensibly but lest we're confident of laying our hands on a like-for-like replacement, just pay the bloke commensurate with someone who's in their club's top five most valuable players, cause that's what he is.

Save the hardball for blokes we actually can replace.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Does anyone remember how much fun it was trying to vacate our defensive-fifty with the ball last year while JJ was sidelined?

By all means negotiate sensibly but lest we're confident of laying our hands on a like-for-like replacement, just pay the bloke commensurate with someone who's in their club's top five most valuable players, cause that's what he is.

Save the hardball for blokes we actually can replace.

Yep, hes a silk premiership winning machine and isn't 25 yet. We'd be insane to let him go anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Where are the Bombers getting all of this coin from? Aren't they about to sign Daniher to a $2m deal?...and we all have suspicions as to how much Hurley cost

Essendon are in lalaland if they think that their blatant salary cap cheating is going to go unnoticed.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Essendon are in lalaland if they think that their blatant salary cap cheating is going to go unnoticed.
    Unnoticed by who? Everyone knows it, no less the AFEL and their 'integrity' unit. I'd love the ATO to audit all the Essendon players to ensure they're declaring what Essendon are declaring. I'd bet a heap that the amount being declared by Essendon as TPPs doesn't equate to the accumulation of the returns lodged this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Unnoticed by who? Everyone knows it, no less the AFEL and their 'integrity' unit. I'd love the ATO to audit all the Essendon players to ensure they're declaring what Essendon are declaring. I'd bet a heap that the amount being declared by Essendon as TPPs doesn't equate to the accumulation of the returns lodged this year.

There's a hungry journo out there just waiting to write this story so they can make a career.

Do you truly think that Essendon will get away with cheating the salary cap the way they are? Nobody was making a fuss about peptides at Essendon until March 2013 but we all knew what they were up to.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a hungry journo out there just waiting to write this story so they can make a career.

Do you truly think that Essendon will get away with cheating the salary cap the way they are? Nobody was making a fuss about peptides at Essendon until March 2013 but we all knew what they were up to.
    Bloody oath they'll get away with it, if no government department gets involved. The AFEL tribunal cleared Essendon. The whacks came via ASADA (Fed Govt) and WorkSafe (State Govt). The AFEL if forced to will say, 'we looked into the TPP and there's no issues whatsoever'. However, if government agencies from a tax perspective start digging around regarding income taxes, payroll taxes etc. then the AFEL can't do a thing other than to hope everything looks clean. Or, that Essendon have funnelled excess TPP monetise through private personal injury settlements which are tax free for the players/former players. That might account for TPP irregularities, and then using armies of lawyers to try to get around the wording of the TPP rules to argue such monies should not be included in the TPP. That's all assuming outside scrutiny comes.

The AFEL have a 'big club' ruining marquee games, having lower average crowds etc. The AFEL want them back on their feet as quick as they can for their own revenue, look at their draft penalties for example. They really didn't get hit hard enough with the voices of Carlton sooks in their ears blaming their current predicament now (still) on the AFEL being too hard on them...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: If J.J. decides to leave how do we deal

The Austalian Tax Office. Heh! Good one.

You're a funny man.

Post Thanks / Like

good defenders worth a look ? - McStay (Bris 21yo) McDonald (Melb 24yo) Jones (Syd 22yo)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing with this like Rubix cube with all the comments in this thread. On the assumption (I don't see happening) JJ nominates Fremantle.

Fremantle look like having pick 6 this year, so Nat Fyfe compo could be pick 7.

Dogs save $550,000 from JJ leaving, adding that to the cash that was destined for Hurley, so about $1,300,000 per year. So the Dogs can afford Nat Fyfe.

So we need to incentivise Freo to let Fyfe go, as well as them getting AFL FA compo. First 5 years on $1.2 or $1.3 gets them pick 7. So we then trade JJ for a lesser player we have interest in, maybe a Crozier type. Then as we may need draft points next year for West &/or Khamis, we swap some picks around to make it more like a legit trade, to really push the FA rules to the limit.

Freo: In: Pick 7, JJ (with a shitload of salary cap left over to trade with), 2nd & 3rd round draft order improvement 2017 (6-10 upgrades in both rounds)
    Dogs: In: Fyfe, Crozier type, 2nd & 3rd draft order improvement 2018 (smaller gap expected)

But it only works if both players and clubs want to only deal with each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Id rather keep JJ than get Fyfe.

12. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd use his value to get early draft choices over taking Fyfe. We're beyond a one man team, and we have Bont anyway.

Plus, we're a bit away from rounding out the list plan in terms of clean users. Fyfe won't bring that to us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally feel 95% we keep JJ, and therefore aren't in the running to get Fyfe. The above was predicated on him wanting/walking out. To me the delay is about looking at the CBA rise and dealing with a manager, who I won't say anything positive about.

Post Thanks / Like

The interesting thing is 'if' JJ left what we'd want. Dal is on the record publicly that this is not a strong draft, nor a deep draft. Would we want draft picks, or players. My guess would be players, either from a WA club or bringing in a third club (GWS, Kelly or GCS, May).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The interesting thing is 'if' JJ left what we'd want. Dal is on the record publicly that this is not a strong draft, nor a deep draft. Would we want draft picks, or players. My guess would be players, either from a WA club or bringing in a third club (GWS, Kelly or GCS, May).
    Combination of players and/or Futures?

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post