Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If J.J. decides to leave how do we deal

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Especially if we win the flag again. If he helps us win another one this year I won't be too fussed.
    If we win again this year he has my full blessing to leave if he wants, otherwise JJ please stay.

Post Thanks / Like

From the outset let me state JJ is not the sole factor for our malaise.
    However his management's contract posturing has contributed to a fraying of the fabric of our team.
    We won last year, not through pure skill, but on the back of a take no prisoner, Band of Brother's-esque spririt. The 'I'll give everything I've got and then some' spirit.

The fact JJ, by proxy through his management, is seeking to exploit success for a pure dollar outcome for himself must be doing damage to that spirit.
    For mine the club needs to make a call.
    He is either in, now, or else the team comes first and we make the call for him to go.

It's that stark a choice.

The club now needs to seek to restore that altruistic, pure trust in the group by calling on JJ to either commit to the ideals that his personal success came on the back of, or call it and go public in saying we are going to move him on.

Tonight's performance was not that of a club who is united in spirit.
    Moreover JJ is kidding himself if he thinks he is worth the coin his manager is seeking for him.

3. Thanks westbulldog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately JJ is worth what the market is willing to pay, and that's much more than we're willing or able to most likely.

I appreciate what you're saying with the rest of your post.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Unfortunately JJ is worth what the market is willing to pay, and that's much more than we're willing or able to most likely.

I appreciate what you're saying with the rest of your post.
    Absolutely Jeemak, and that's why I think it might be best for the club to get on the front foot here. You want the coin, great, lets help you facilitate that; because we're going to reinforce and highlight the ethos that is driving those in our club who have committed for less than market value to maintain the team spirit.

I love JJ's story, I love what he helped us achieved. But it's bordering on ironic that his management's posturing over his contract is in my opinion contributing to an unweaving of the very fabric of the team first ethos that both gave us the ultimate success and in doing so elevated his market value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    From the outset let me state JJ is not the sole factor for our malaise.
    However his management's contract posturing has contributed to a fraying of the fabric of our team.
    We won last year, not through pure skill, but on the back of a take no prisoner, Band of Brother's-esque spririt. The 'I'll give everything I've got and then some' spirit.

The fact JJ, by proxy through his management, is seeking to exploit success for a pure dollar outcome for himself must be doing damage to that spirit.
    For mine the club needs to make a call.
    He is either in, now, or else the team comes first and we make the call for him to go.

It's that stark a choice.

The club now needs to seek to restore that altruistic, pure trust in the group by calling on JJ to either commit to the ideals that his personal success came on the back of, or call it and go public in saying we are going to move him on.

Tonight's performance was not that of a club who is united in spirit.
    Moreover JJ is kidding himself if he thinks he is worth the coin his manager is seeking for him.
    How do you explain Dustin Martin and Kelly ? Both performing . This is the modern era,it leaves a crap taste in your mouth, but it's how the game is going . He's manager's posturing and poor performance is going to invariably put pressure on himself . The balls in his court, simple

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    How do you explain Dustin Martin and Kelly ? Both performing . This is the modern era,it leaves a crap taste in your mouth, but it's how the game is going . He's manager's posturing and poor performance is going to invariably put pressure on himself . The balls in his court, simple
    Again I agree. Quite simply, the Dusty and Kelly situation highlights why I think JJ is on the cusp of making a very poor footall decision, if not a bad financial one. He is a half back flanker with speed. He is not in the class of a Dusty or Kelly, and if someone is willing to treat him contractually like he is, then lets let them make that mistake.

That's precisely why I think he's both a) not worth the value that is being bandied about and b) his contract posturing is a factor in a decay of the fabric of our success. So let's show, as a club, that the team is above the individual, and either give him one final chance to sign or else, be proactive and work to affect a deal that helps us. If it's about money, and it appears it is, then we should, if he's not willing to sign, work to facilitate that outcome for him, and make sure we get value in return, as well as show the rest of the team we will show unwavering support for a team first approach to contracts.

Post Thanks / Like

And please excuse me for my verbosity and inarticulateness . I made a poor decision to crack a bottle of red at qtr time, and I'm a bottle down now. That's not completely JJ's fault, but he didn't help!

9. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    And please excuse me for my verbosity and inarticulateness . I made a poor decision to crack a bottle of red at qtr time, and I'm a bottle down now. That's not completely JJ's fault, but he didn't help!
    Upside is you're going to forget the detail of the game easier than you might have had you not cracked that bottle.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    For sure!! But both aforementioned players (on reflection, might have been quicker to print their names, rather than say aforementioned, not even sure if that's how you spell aforementioned){bugger now I've done brackets} ((and double brackets))...shit shit what's my point. Oh yeah both have had ordinary games this year (Sorry Brackets again, but Dusty was av. against the Swans; and JJ has had maybe two ordinary games. Sure, his manager is a tosser and has only ONE client and is desperate to make a big impression, not unlike another past manager who has only one ex-player and is trying to keep his eye in!!!!Sorry about that Mr. Jess. I reckon JJ will stay and we will still recruit a high profile backman and in BEVO I trust.....

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder who Coach Scott has for JJ this week? Is Lindsay Thomas in line for a call up?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I wonder who Coach Scott has for JJ this week? Is Lindsay Thomas in line for a call up?
    You haven't heard? In Thomas return from suspension in the VFL he was reported and suspended for one week!! By reports lucky to only get one.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You haven't heard? In Thomas return from suspension in the VFL he was reported and suspended for one week!! By reports lucky to only get one.
    VERY lucky to get only one, it was a ridiculous piece of play.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the club has decided not to sign him
    Not jj deciding to stay
    May solve a few problems

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsfight View Post
    Maybe the club has decided not to sign him
    Not jj deciding to stay
    May solve a few problems
    Said something similar. If he nets a huge trade return, and frees up even more cap to recruit multiple key players. It's an interesting thing to think about, ala Hwthorn letting Williams, Kennedy & McGlynn go to get Burgoyne & Gibson, and draft too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I try not to listen to anything involving him. North still have another year of him contracted don't they?