Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Match Committee - Round 17, 2017 vs Carlton

If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 17, 2017 match against Carlton at the MCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 17, 2017 vs Carlton

Should we target Docherty likes sides are doing against JJ?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Outs: Roberts, Honeychurch, M. Boyd,

Ins: Collins, Webb, Williams

Cloke or Tom Boyd if available.

We need to play kids with some VFL form behind them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Should we target Docherty likes sides are doing against JJ?
    We don't target anyone... We play to our strengths and back in our players.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to start with
    Honeychruch- I don't get why he played. i don't want to have a go at him, great attitude. MC shoulders all the blame on that one.
    Roberts- really seems to have confidence issues and dropping him won't help but he is a liability at the moment.
    Clay- Love his attitude but doesn't get near it. Make no mistake, mobility wise we have to count him as playing an extra tall.

Not so much dropped but...
    JJ- obvious issues
    Stringer- reverting back to doing enough to earn a spot. He is best 22 at the moment via spurts of effort.
    Dahl- this is the worst fortnight I've seen from him. Wow. When the uber intensity isn't there his lack of footy polish is glaring.
    Libba- looks like he doesn't think footy is the type of thing he wants to do with his life. I'm not being glib there. Just a thought.

6. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Bevo singled out Suckling as having done his job tonight. I don't think he's on the block but he certainly has plenty of detractors here.
    I'd struggle to give a list of ins at this point. I'd like to see Bailey Williams back and Cloke if he's ready as well as any of the players out injured from this week. The list of potential outs is huge, Wallis, Stringer, Smith, Roberts, Libba, Honeychurch, M. Boyd, JJ and probably a few others.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

We gave Honey a good run at it after a string of excellent 2nds form. Thanks for having a crack but it's time.
    Roberts getting dropped after 1 game is counter productive IMO. Was awful tonight but having Roughy down back throws us all out structurally.
    Is Clay out of contract? Rapt for him to get his rewards last year but I wouldn't be offering a new deal.
    We cannot continue to carry all of Hunter, Picko, Dahl and Wally in the midfield - 2 dreadful disposers too many.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Signed Smith to 1, Picken 2, Roberts 2, Adams 3.

Still nothing from Dale, Webb, Redpath.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Out: Smith, Honeychurch
    In: Murphy, Biggs
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Outs: Roberts, Honeychurch, M. Boyd,

Ins: Collins, Webb, Williams

Cloke or Tom Boyd if available.

We need to play kids with some VFL form behind them.
    Agree time to have a look at Collins progress. We need a defender that can take a mark, the contrast between the two defences was stark. Love to see Webb on a forward flank/wing or even HBF our ball use is so bad. He is never going to be an inside mid at AFL level its time to develop him in an area that he can succeed in and add value to the team.

Post Thanks / Like

There's gonna be calls from some (I'm thinking particularly the Facebook crowd) to "play the kids". Weirdly that's not applicable to a Beveridge side, the entire side is already "kids", and all the ones that have deserved a call up have received one before. Having said that this is where we should be heading:

Players we should look at phasing out over the course of the rest of the season are the following:
    -Honeychurch. He has had his chance and did earn it, but sadly lacks the polish required at the level. His skill level makes our weaknesses worse, and he fails to add something that we don't have, even his pressure isn't what it was in that brief early 2015 spell.
    -Boyd. Obvious one, has struggled all season and really fallen away of late.
    -Smith I am unsure on. He was outstanding last year not just in the finals but in various games. I remember the GC game in Cairns he had about 10 shots on goal. Lacks skill or mobility and I don't see a big future with us but I wouldn't be ruling him out just yet like the other two.

Players we should consider giving a chance.
    -Hamilton. Our most underwhelming draftee of the last few years, but is meant to be smart and a good user. Beveridge has shown a keenness to give fringe players an opportunity to show something over the course of 3-4 games (see Cordy, Honeychurch, Darley), I am expecting Hamilton to get his chance to show why he has been on the list 3 years.
    -Lynch. Another that has been on the list for 3 years, with no senior games. Has attributes that we are lacking, in skill and pace.
    -Lipinski. A natural forward, who has shown an ability to kick multiple goals at VFL level and is pacy.
    -Greene, Collins and Prudden are the other three I'd be looking at. Greene for similar reasons to Lipinski, he could offer us something in a position we are shallow in. Collins I have doubts on, but his VFL form seems to have improved so may be viable as the tall defender positon Roberts is currently in. Prudden I would be looking at to step into the Boyd role. An assured clean ball user coming out of defence that plays primarily a supporting role within the defensive unit. I don't have huge faith in Prudden's longevity, but I would be happy to see him get a chance.

Williams and Webb belong in their own category, along with Dale and Mclean. All have shown enough to suggest they have bright futures at AFL level, all are good users of the footy, can carry the ball and are potentially more balanced than some of our other players who seem to be weighted heavily one way (ie. Hunter is very outside, Dahlhaus extremely inside etc.). They should all be playing the majority of the remainder of the season, form/effort permitting.

The only ones left that are not injured are Young, English, Tweedie and NMM. None of them for mine are ready physically to make enough of an impact in their preferred roles, and they have enough time on their sides to not need to make an impact this year to justify their spots.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Thanks GVGjr, G-Mo77, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, merantau, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post Soupa.

Interesting that Young was actually named emergency. We may get a look at him this season. I believe Greene is out for some time with aan arm injury so he'll probably have to wait until 2018.

Honeychurch was really disappointing tonight. When he wasn't with the ball he was falling over and appealing for frees. What I've liked about him in the past is his ability to not only win the ball but to create pressure and 2nd and 3rd efforts. He's been pretty disappointing since his return to the team.

I'm just at a loss of who comes in and out at this point.

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good effort Soup.

Can't say I'm in a position to agree/disagree but the post was immense.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a massive Honeychurch supporter over time, but tonight put a line though his future prospects. Attention to detail when needed was completely off, and one or two good efforts four weeks in a row (which he needs to be credited for as a 20 gamer) don't quite cut it at our club when we have others better than him in his role.

Having said that, we have a massive issue as followers expecting players to be really good sooner than they are ready to be. Honey has only played 20 games and can probably be a decent AFL player over time. Unfortunately for him, we are in a mode where we need to expect better from anyone who lines up for us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

You know Liam Jones is going to play his best ever game this week.

19. Likes N/A, 1eyedog liked this post