Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  36
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 19, 2017 vs Essendon

Tend to think Cloke might be a better fit for us than Redpath.

I like Jack, but when the ball hits the ground he's noncompetitive. Cloke isn't much better, but he's a better mark and more importantly doesn't get out-marked as much as Jack.

OUT: Morris, Redpath
    IN: Webb, Cloke.

- Yes, Essendon are tall and there is certainly a case for Roberts to play. However, is Roberts going to be the difference between winning and losing? Unlikely. Our best chance to beat Essendon is to beat them at ground level, so I prefer we go in with Webb than Roberts.

Post Thanks / Like

On my post above, I think Dickson will be strongly considered.

Hasn't shown a great deal of form but given the importance of this week, we need some dangerous forward targets with Stringer out. Not sure who could be dropped for Dickson, I'd argue Honeychurch but I can't see it happening.

To be honest, Murphy is the one I'd drop but again - it won't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Unfortunately we have 3 whipping boys on this forum Ozza. Honey, Red and Suckers. Irrespective of how well they play.
    Such an over-rated term.. Not sure where I signed up to be a fan-boy? If I and other posters want to critique players performances I think we are entitled to do so, as long as we do it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Name another forward that has taken double figures in marks on our list this season? Red has done it twice, and took 9 marks another time.
    No one, but I look more at how Redpath performed against Carlton (terribly) than I do against GC.. If Redpath can perform & compete consistently against all opposition then I will give him the respect he deserves, not this means that much.

Post Thanks / Like

Having never won a game coming back from Cairns I wouldn't be opposed to make a few more changes than the norm to freshen up the team, not sure who, those inside the club will no more... my changes:

In - Cloke, Webb, Dickson

Out - Redpath, Morris, Wallis (rested - looked gassed late in the game)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Such an over-rated term.. Not sure where I signed up to be a fan-boy? If I and other posters want to critique players performances I think we are entitled to do so, as long as we do it the right way.

No one, but I look more at how Redpath performed against Carlton (terribly) than I do against GC.. If Redpath can perform & compete consistently against all opposition then I will give him the respect he deserves, not this means that much.
    You and any poster can critique away to your heart's content Mantis. I really do enjoy reading the various views. That is why I have been here for a very long time. However I do read regularly that a player should be dropped even though that player has played a good game from the week or weeks before. Usually it is the same posters potting the same players. I think the term whipping boy is appropriate and certainly not over-rated in this context. By the way I could go back years and there were always the whipping boys as you well know.

6. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Joe, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Redpath has accepted the one game suspension.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Travis Cloke come on down.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we make it a hostile environment for those drug cheats this Sunday, both on and off the ground.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    You and any poster can critique away to your heart's content Mantis. I really do enjoy reading the various views. That is why I have been here for a very long time. However I do read regularly that a player should be dropped even though that player has played a good game from the week or weeks before. Usually it is the same posters potting the same players. I think the term whipping boy is appropriate and certainly not over-rated in this context. By the way I could go back years and there were always the whipping boys as you well know.
    Almost worth its own thread: "(Not so) great whipping boys of the past."
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Almost worth its own thread: "(Not so) great whipping boys of the past."
    It certainly would be Merantau, and I could start with all those "promising full forwards" we recruited from the 1960's onward. Rod Coutts is one who comes to mind. He did turn into a serviceable player, but I think you could count his goals on the fingers of a woodcutter's left hand.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    It certainly would be Merantau, and I could start with all those "promising full forwards" we recruited from the 1960's onward. Rod Coutts is one who comes to mind. He did turn into a serviceable player, but I think you could count his goals on the fingers of a woodcutter's left hand.
    Kicked 22 goals in 16 games. Left to go back to bush.

Post Thanks / Like

How do we prevent Hurley crushing us? We need a forward who can halve a contest and bring the ball to ground which has me leaning towards playing Cordy forward.

In order to do that, we'll need 2 defenders to come in given Morris is out. Maybe that means Fletch in, Wood back and Dickson to play in the forward half?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    "Sockeye Salmon's" dad used to say 'You're never truly washed up until you've played full-forward for Footscray".

16. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cloke must come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone getting a deceptive website warning when logging onto woof?